IGNORED

McInnes on City - uncomfortable reading...

Olé

8 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I am sure I remember SL saying that when GJ was appointed, something along the lines of needing a new broom and rebuilding the club from top to bottom and doing things differently.  Not sure appointing PJ as head of recruitment fitted that ideal.........................

I suppose the lesson is a simple one and one that so far has not been adhered to.

Any subsequent head coach/manager must follow the principles that the club believes are correct for the club and the direction in which the club wants to be headed and whatever success that head coach/manager might have along the way, they must not allow the ego of that head coach/manager to interfere with their vision and if the head coach/manager can't handle then he is in the wrong job.

None of what Mcinnes has said is anything we haven't heard from the owner. He admits he threw money away and wasting it on too many overpaid players. We got into 40 million of debt because of his decisions which is why he wrote off the debt and now wants value for money ie buying younger quality players 

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Reading this thread kind of sums up the issue with our fans for me, here it is in black and white the same thing many have suspected being made clear and what do many of our fans do...... look for ways to blame McInness. I swear some of our fans would rather just ignore the hard truths about this club and keep their rose tinted glasses on.

I don't doubt what he says, but he has to shoulder the blame for lots of the mess.

If he had legions of players to chose from how come Richard Foster was always first on the team sheet? And why - as others have said - did he play people so often out of position?

The fact is, he inherited a lot of dead wood, but doesn't virtually every manager? With the average tenure at a club being under two years, you are likely to have signings from numerous other managers on the book. 

We paid bang average players over-the-odds but McInnes was just as guilty here as his predecessors.  Bringing in numpties like Mark Wilson - he didn't appear to be able to tell shit from sugar.

As much as I can't stand him. 

He is right. He has also done bloody well given how Aberdeen have went on to make a challenge and bought some good players to keep them continuing to match Celtic.  Lost all four games to Celtic last season. He's learnt and this season won both games against them and now joint top with them while having 20 times less the budget. He will get another chance in England and it will be a bigger club than city. Not many managers would have helped us back then. We were a bloody mess. People are right though that his team selections were odd. With bolasie always on the bench Aswel. But good luck to him. He would maybe have been a good appointment now instead of back then. 

11 hours ago, jambodinho said:

I've always felt a bit sorry for McInnes and it's always annoyed me when people refer to him as McClueless. His statement confirms what I've said all along. He had a massive job here and not enough time to do it. A bloated squad of overpaid deadwood that we couldn't give away. He is arguably the best manager we've had here in a tactical sense for a long time. Think back to the rearranged Watford game that was cancelled on boxing day. That season they were walking the division under Zola, tearing teams apart with their slick passing game. They came to the gate and del had obviously done his homework. We sat so deep including the strikers and let their centre halves have the ball. Our fans were going mental. "Get into them" and "close them down" and all sorts of insults coming from the crowd. But what we were doing was stopping Watford from tearing us a new one. Their centre halves had no forward passes on. They couldnt play their little passing triangles around our team. They resorted to hoofball and we ended up beating them with our team of overpaid useless players. It was ugly but when you are near the bottom you have to resort to concentrating on stopping your opponents from doing what they want to do instead of going out and playing your own way (something cotterill didnt know how to do) Another comment that makes me laugh is the one about Scottish football  being like watching pub teams play. True, it's a poor standard but he's still had to make his crap team better than the other crap teams in that league and he's led both St johnstone's and Aberdeen to impressive league positions. I'm sure he'll succeed in England at some point in his career and we will just be a small blot on his C.V.

I think history will record that DM was back in Scotland when this tactical masterclass was demonstrated against Watford.

As O'Driscoll was our manager.

15 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

It's no great surprise. Lansdown has shown he hasn't really got a clue on how to run a successful football club. Yes he's sorted the clubs debt out year after year, however this is the debt that he and people he employs have accumulated. Hopefully lessons have been learnt, highly doubt it though.

Lets hope Landsdown takes his money out and the rest of the board follow, what have they ever done for the club.....ffs 

7 hours ago, Taz said:

What people forget with Jody Morris is that DM needed someone to organise the Saturday night and Christmas parties - he couldn't do that, manage the team and trim the squad!!!!

In all seriousness, whilst a lot of what he says is probably true, he also forgets to mention that most of his signings were absolute tosh. Add that to the fact that players were being played out of positions, played regardless of their form, and losing 7 games on the bounce, he was a large part of the problem at the time also.

Who knows, if he would have dropped Liam Fontaine rather than give him the captaincy and continue to play him despite looking like bamby on ice, he may well have returned to the form that saw Southampton bid £1m for him!!!! He needed to be taken out of the spotlight - not given an even bigger and brighter one!!!

Well done Del, let's shift the blame completely from yourself and blame the board for the whole sorry mess. How many of your signings went onto bigger and better things!? Yes the board are a large reason for the mess that we were in then, but he made the situation just as bad by signing a load of crap.

...I'm sure I've read all these points on Otib's 'McInnes on City ..' thread....

You're not related to that Stockhausen fella are you? 

( only joking :) -but your post does have a bit of the deja vu's about it)

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I think everybody would agree that the job McInnes had to here was clearly very difficult, the set up was laughably amateurish and the amount of money we were paying to disinterested, poor journeyman players was shameful. We could all see for ourselves that numerous highly paid players were 'earning' their money sat in the Williams watching their game with a suit on. However, if I had done the shambolic job McInnes had done I would be shutting up and hoping people forgot rather than try and pass on the blame to everyone other than myself. 

Firstly, 'fought relegation for 3 or 4 seasons prior to me'. We had finished 15th, 10th, 10th and 4th in the four seasons before.

'We managed to keep the club up in 2012, having been way adrift when I arrived there'. Technically true of course and no doubt he deserves credit for managing to keep us up that year. I think I may have a slight issue with him claiming we were 'way adrift' though. He took over in October with us 4 points from safety. I'm not taking anything away from the fact he ultimately kept us up, but let's not pretend he is some sort of miracle rescuing us from being dead and buried. We were 4 points from safety in October. The performances from his team were a large reason we went into April still in trouble, that blame cannot be placed on any manager previous.

In his first season he was in charge for 35 games. Won 11, Drew 10, Lost 14. With the lack of quality in our squad and the fact that the ultimate goal of staying up was achieved that's fine. I wouldn't say that quite qualifies him as being the 'king' though. Fair play to him though he's spot on that later on he was a clown. You won't find me disputing that.

Now these players he brought in that improved the quality without having any effect on the massive wage bill. His signings, both permanent and loans were as follows-

Pearson, Foster, Wood, McManus (twice!), Davis, Ephraim, Bikey, Kienan, Morris, Cunningham, Anderson, Heaton, Marc Wilson, Davies, Baldock, Bates, Kelly, Elokobi, Briggs, Danny Wilson. No doubt a couple of good ones, some that will be argued about and then a whole load of dross.

21 signings in just over a year. I remember him making some bald claims about how much he reduced that wage bill, unfortunately they turned out to be rubbish. Not overly surprising when we were spending real life money on some of those.

I remember him explaining to everyone that he couldn't play Baldock and Davies, because he wasn't sure we could play 442, those players couldn't play together and neither could play on their own up front. But you signed them Derek! You signed them when the need for players in other areas of the pitch were much greater, remember we started that season with Pitman as our fifth choice forward whilst being laughably exposed further back in the team. Bringing up how you were hampered by a massive wage bill after you have signed two big money forwards and therefore completely ostracizing Pitman is a bald claim.

He signed Paul Anderson in the summer of 2012. After that we unexpectedly sold Bolasie, a player in Anderson's position, to Palace. Anderson made his first start for us on the 22nd of December. What an inspired signing that is. If Bolasie hadn't left we'd still be waiting for Anderson's debut now I think.

His management of Fontaine was an absolute disgrace, just repeatedly exposing him while he made more and more mistakes and took more and more criticism. I couldn't believe it when he rushed him back from injury and then proceeded to again pick him week in week out and his confidence hit new lows. I remember him finally dropping him at home to Peterborough, us winning the game and yet a couple of days later at Millwall, there he was back in the team. Which was a shame for Fontaine himself as he became the third member of the 'Derek McInnes 44th minute sub club'. If anybody can give me an explanation for those subs other than humiliating the player I would be interested.

This is guy that picked Ricky Foster in centre midfield.

This is a guy that picked Marc Wilson, a guy that quite literally couldn't run, at wing-back.

This is a guy that ignored Joe Bryan's impressive first few games and brought in Matthew Briggs to play instead of him. Good thinking that, lets plays somebody else's poor young player instead of our own promising one.

This is a guy that described us as being 'too pedantic in possession'. What does that mean?

Remember him confidently telling everyone how he 'would never play Pitman on the left wing', yeah that didn't last.

This was an actual team he picked while he was here- Heaton, Wilson, McManus, Nyatanga, Briggs, Foster, Skuse, Pearson, Stead, Taylor, Davies. (Adomah, Baldock and Marv were amongst the substitutes).

Whether his grievances are fair or not, no doubt some of them are, I can't help but think he'd be better served not bringing up is time here and concentrating on winning games in that pub league and making the most of a non-existent Rangers and the worst Celtic team in years and years. To be fair he seems to be doing rather good job at that.

pretty much my thoughts word for word there mate. 

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I think everybody would agree that the job McInnes had to here was clearly very difficult, the set up was laughably amateurish and the amount of money we were paying to disinterested, poor journeyman players was shameful. We could all see for ourselves that numerous highly paid players were 'earning' their money sat in the Williams watching their game with a suit on. However, if I had done the shambolic job McInnes had done I would be shutting up and hoping people forgot rather than try and pass on the blame to everyone other than myself. 

Firstly, 'fought relegation for 3 or 4 seasons prior to me'. We had finished 15th, 10th, 10th and 4th in the four seasons before.

'We managed to keep the club up in 2012, having been way adrift when I arrived there'. Technically true of course and no doubt he deserves credit for managing to keep us up that year. I think I may have a slight issue with him claiming we were 'way adrift' though. He took over in October with us 4 points from safety. I'm not taking anything away from the fact he ultimately kept us up, but let's not pretend he is some sort of miracle rescuing us from being dead and buried. We were 4 points from safety in October. The performances from his team were a large reason we went into April still in trouble, that blame cannot be placed on any manager previous.

In his first season he was in charge for 35 games. Won 11, Drew 10, Lost 14. With the lack of quality in our squad and the fact that the ultimate goal of staying up was achieved that's fine. I wouldn't say that quite qualifies him as being the 'king' though. Fair play to him though he's spot on that later on he was a clown. You won't find me disputing that.

Now these players he brought in that improved the quality without having any effect on the massive wage bill. His signings, both permanent and loans were as follows-

Pearson, Foster, Wood, McManus (twice!), Davis, Ephraim, Bikey, Kienan, Morris, Cunningham, Anderson, Heaton, Marc Wilson, Davies, Baldock, Bates, Kelly, Elokobi, Briggs, Danny Wilson. No doubt a couple of good ones, some that will be argued about and then a whole load of dross.

21 signings in just over a year. I remember him making some bald claims about how much he reduced that wage bill, unfortunately they turned out to be rubbish. Not overly surprising when we were spending real life money on some of those.

I remember him explaining to everyone that he couldn't play Baldock and Davies, because he wasn't sure we could play 442, those players couldn't play together and neither could play on their own up front. But you signed them Derek! You signed them when the need for players in other areas of the pitch were much greater, remember we started that season with Pitman as our fifth choice forward whilst being laughably exposed further back in the team. Bringing up how you were hampered by a massive wage bill after you have signed two big money forwards and therefore completely ostracizing Pitman is a bald claim.

He signed Paul Anderson in the summer of 2012. After that we unexpectedly sold Bolasie, a player in Anderson's position, to Palace. Anderson made his first start for us on the 22nd of December. What an inspired signing that is. If Bolasie hadn't left we'd still be waiting for Anderson's debut now I think.

His management of Fontaine was an absolute disgrace, just repeatedly exposing him while he made more and more mistakes and took more and more criticism. I couldn't believe it when he rushed him back from injury and then proceeded to again pick him week in week out and his confidence hit new lows. I remember him finally dropping him at home to Peterborough, us winning the game and yet a couple of days later at Millwall, there he was back in the team. Which was a shame for Fontaine himself as he became the third member of the 'Derek McInnes 44th minute sub club'. If anybody can give me an explanation for those subs other than humiliating the player I would be interested.

This is a guy that picked Marc Wilson, a guy that quite literally couldn't run, at wing-back.

This is a guy that ignored Joe Bryan's impressive first few games and brought in Matthew Briggs to play instead of him. Good thinking that, lets plays somebody else's poor young player instead of our own promising one.

This is a guy that described us as being 'too pedantic in possession'. What does that mean?

Remember him confidently telling everyone how he 'would never play Pitman on the left wing', yeah that didn't last.

This was an actual team he picked while he was here- Heaton, Wilson, McManus, Nyatanga, Briggs, Foster, Skuse, Pearson, Stead, Taylor, Davies. (Adomah, Baldock and Marv were amongst the substitutes).

Whether his grievances are fair or not, no doubt some of them are, I can't help but think he'd be better served not bringing up is time here and concentrating on winning games in that pub league and making the most of a non-existent Rangers and the worst Celtic team in years and years. To be fair he seems to be doing rather good job at that.

This deserves ten likes. Thank god not everyone's memory of the bloke has been erased. 

Please have this cut and paste in any future thread about bloody McInnes. 

Can we now move on PPPLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEE

It's interesting to hear what when on behind the scenes (aibeit its from his perspective).

I imagine its been much the same for years and perhaps it will always be this way.

Fans only get told what those in control want us to know.

Government, big corporates and football clubs all run things the same way.

They want your support/time/money, but not your involvement or any interference.

Pay up and shut up !

6 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Is there any reason to suppose that the club is any better run now? It will be interesting when the full story of SC's sacking comes out...

That's not likely to happen anytime soon Aiz, we will have to wait until SC's book comes out!

In case anyone is interested

Last year £10million on Staff & Player wages
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts-2015213-2910152.pdf

2011 £18million on Staff and Player costs
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts2012213-525135.pdf

Bearing in mind we had a very full squad then vs the last seasons tiny squad on L1 wages and we were in L1 I call erm bull Mr McWinless.

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

In case anyone is interested

Last year £10million on Staff & Player wages
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts-2015213-2910152.pdf

2011 £18million on Staff and Player costs
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts2012213-525135.pdf

Bearing in mind we had a very full squad then vs the last seasons tiny squad on L1 wages and we were in L1 I call erm bull Mr McWinless.

Ok think that if you like.

We had one player on 10k last season, the rest were on less than 6. In 2011/12 plenty were on more than 10k. Sexstone's embarassingly amateur dealings, JL poking his nose in with 0 experience and a school friend of JL's heading up recruitment with the same knowledge as Jon also added to the fun.

The academy has Cat 2 status now, we have a much larger analysis team, a DOF on a decent wedge, bring in Under-21s from elsewhere on a good wage. Much more to the figures than just first team salaries so you can't compare such ambiguous figures.

On 11/02/2016 at 23:34, bcfcfinker said:

There are two aspects to posts like this... it's the club's fault... it's the managers fault.

No doubt the club has been mismanaged in many ways and I'd like to think that maybe just lately things have turned a corner backroom management wise = only time will tell.

However, as much as DM plays a distraction game by talking about the backroom antics, he forgets to talk about the truly appalling record he had in the season he got sacked. So to remind people of a few years back (this is a two way street):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11726/8305956/derek-mcinnes-defends-bristol-citys-tactics-following-saturdays-loss

I believe he lost 7 straight games to get the sack?

I remember being down the gate and thinking, WTF - during his tenure, I was leaving the Gate in despair.

I'm glad he's doing well north of the border, but to engage in what appears to be revisionism in regards to his record, he does himself no favours. 'Truth' in this case is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll no doubt be accused of wearing rose tinted glasses about the back room management, I'll take it on the chin. However others are being wilfully blind about his record.

What I don't get is using his results to counter-balance the argument that the club is a shambles? Yes his results were terrible, yes he deserved to be sacked but if you ask someone to build you a house and give them a set of bob the builder plastic toys, some sand, water and a pile of bricks would you be surprised if the "house" you got was not up to standard and collapsed in a week?  That's essentially what our club seems to be doing, "Hey new manager, this league requires some heavy financing to be competitive but here's £2m, use that to change our club into something competitive? Oh? What do you mean we have too many overpaid players already who aren't up to the task? I'm sure you can fix that, after all you're going to take the blame, not us...."

McInness is not someone I have any loyalty to but I still think to this day he was stitched up and once he was here he knew it, he had to options, to do the best with what he had to work with (over expensive plastic toy crap) or quit. As a person I don't blame him for hanging in and getting his money, the club stitched him up and he returned them in kind by making them pay financially. 
I honestly don't see our club as supportive of the manager, they just say what they need to say to seem professional. I also think this is why Coppell bailed on us, he started doing his work after being promiced that we were a big up and coming club and then he realised what the clubs situation really was and he got out before it reflected badly on him. By leaving like he did it gave any future employer a chance to ask "Why did you leave?" to which he could say "The club wasn't being ran well and there would have only been so much I could have done".

I think recently I'm starting to look at our club more and more as an outsider and whilst I cannot thank SL enough for the money he has invested, the stadium he is financing and so on I also think that he needs to stay out of the running of the club and employ someone who actually knows how to develop a club. I also think he then needs to listen to that person when it comes to hiring and firing because let's face it, the only success he's had with managers in the recent years was SC and GJ. SC got to go out and buy the best players for that league and during the GJ era we were drastically overpaying players in order to be competitive. Our two most successful spells in recent years have come from overpaying, if SL really wants to create a self-sufficient club then he needs to stop making the big decisions and put his trust in someone capable of making said decision.

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:38, bearded_red said:

I wonder how muh

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:38, bearded_red said:

I wonder how much the disinterested, poor manager was being paid

He's missed the part where he played Jon Stead and Brett Pitman on the wing. Played Adomah up front. Signed Ryan McGivern. Made Fontaine captain. Made a loan signing (McManus) captain. Signed Ricky Foster. Sounded incredible money on Baldock and Davies when we already had 3 strikers and no defenders. Changed formation every game.

Could not care less what the guy has to say about this club. If he was that fantastic and self important he'd have got another job at an English club by now. 

On 12 February 2016 at 11:38, bearded_red said:

And this is why he failed.

Pearson - could do a job at best

Foster, - dire one of the worst city players in ten years arguably ever

Wood - very average for us

McManus (twice!), - liability

Davis, - sick note played one game complete waste of money?

Ephraim, did a job for us but not championship level

Bikey, - did a great job for us

Kienan - NEVER PLAYED A GAME!!!

Morris, - less said the better

Cunningham, - good championship player

Anderson, - never given a chance, proven at the level before he signed

Heaton, - class

Marc Wilson, - bad egg and shit

Davies - scored goals and lots of natural talent

, baldock - good player still not convinced championship goalscorer

Bates, - dire and waste of money

Kelly, - hard working but very limited