IGNORED

Wibs, is it time to hang up your boots?

Never to the dark side

What game were you watching!? He was one of the main reasons that Ipswich didn't get in our box after they equalised! Both him and Agard gave us an outlet and platform to build on-great contribution I thought! 

He also used up about 4 of the 5 minutes of added time keeping the ball in the corner-decent play and contribution! 

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

What game were you watching!? He was one of the main reasons that Ipswich didn't get in our box after they equalised! Both him and Agard gave us an outlet and platform to build on-great contribution I thought! 

He also used up about 4 of the 5 minutes of added time keeping the ball in the corner-decent play and contribution! 

They equalised???!!!!!

2 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

What game were you watching if you think they equalised?!

Key player last season, doing an OK job this season. But he will be another year older next season, so it probably is time to look at replacing him in the summer. He will always be a City legend, but the club needs to move forward, and he could still offer lots to a club in the lower divisions.

Its inevitable that our double winning squad will break up, we can't live in the past, we have to look forward. Those guys deserve maximum respect, and have got us to a position where, hopefully, the club can move forward.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Key player last season, doing an OK job this season. But he will be another year older next season, so it probably is time to look at replacing him in the summer. He will always be a City legend, but the club needs to move forward, and he could still offer lots to a club in the lower divisions.

Its inevitable that our double winning squad will break up, we can't live in the past, we have to look forward. Those guys deserve maximum respect, and have got us to a position where, hopefully, the club can move forward.

"Legend" is handed out too easily these days.

I doubt we'll be renaming the West Stand the Wilbraham Stand any time soon. 

i think he does a sterling job. flinty was getting his shirt torn off by berra who was a thug of a defender,wilbs does off the ball things aswell to put those sorts in their places.hopefully when he does get replaced,someone else with bags of experience at more than just goal scoring etc will replace him. maybe a role for tomlin if he signs in the summer.

by that i mean the non playing side of wilbs game.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

True. 

But being top scorer in our first league title winning team in 60 odd years probably gives him a decent shot of being remembered as one more than most.

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Ridiculous initial post.

Wilbraham's contribution was vital to our win.

Spot on.

He was never going to recreate the form of last year a level up and a year older (and one of our failures in the summer/first half of the season was not taking account of this), but as @Super pointed out before; used as he was yesterday, coming on to hassle defences, link up with the other attacking players late on, and hold the ball for us when our defence needs a rest, is the perfect role for him.

I don't expect him to be here next season, but more effective cameos like that in what I hope is a season where we manage to avoid relegation, added to his buccaneering contribution last year, when many league one defences simply could not handle him, will mean he will forever sit high at least in my estimations.

Him and Agard were a massive factor in us holding on to the lead yesterday; need praise for that.

47 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agree with the sentiment, but then again he was a key part in a double winning season and our first title in longer than (I don't recall the years). He's borderline with the rest of the squad; for now until/when we achieve lots more :) 

2 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I watched the game on TV and can see where the OP is coming from. He looked a bit slow and rusty compared to the other players. Still a useful player though.

His smarts are useful; him and Freeman taking point in leading the Ipswich team on a merry dance in about 4 yards of space max by the corner flag for 3 full mins of injury time is the guile we sometimes require, and that he couldn't offer when flogged for 90 mins prior a lot of this season, which he clearly can't handle anymore.

From an Ipswich Match Report...........

"Bristol responded with ex-budgie Wilbraham and Agard becoming their own little and large. Size and speed combined to peg back a beleaguered and leaking defence too easily and too often"

"That meant that once we broke through they made the easy and obvious changes that worked a treat. When Wilbraham was holding play up we should have just punted it clear. Make them constantly have to come at us and we'd have got another spell of openings like when we got the goal and had 3 chances around it in quick succession."

Ipswich Match Report - Fans Forum

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i think he does a sterling job. flinty was getting his shirt torn off by berra who was a thug of a defender,wilbs does off the ball things aswell to put those sorts in their places.hopefully when he does get replaced,someone else with bags of experience at more than just goal scoring etc will replace him. maybe a role for tomlin if he signs in the summer.

by that i mean the non playing side of wilbs game.

Good spot....takes responsibility to sort out any opposition player who's being a 'nuisance'.

Archived