IGNORED

manager of the month

archie andrews

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

between our leader and sean dyche I reckon

hopefully dyche so we don't get the dreaded curse

or is it a sign of progress in a positive way

Been statistically proven that there is a very small positive effect (not causal I'm sure) following manager of month awards. 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dyche is far and away the best candidate and if he doesn't win then the award is a complete farce.

Why? Our record is more impressive given our position. And that's what it's all about. Relativity. 

Oh sorry. I forgot, we're talking about Johnson aren't we. 

I thought you were making a real point. 

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Why? Our record is more impressive given our position. And that's what it's all about. Relativity. 

This month has seen Burnley gain 6 points on Hull, 5 points on M'boro, a point on Brighton and 6 on Derby so this month has been relatively crucial in terms of Burnley keeping their push for promotion going.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

This month has seen Burnley gain 6 points on Hull, 5 points on M'boro, a point on Brighton and 6 on Derby so this month has been relatively crucial in terms of Burnley keeping their push for promotion going.

Yes. Agreed. But points are expected at the top, but not necessarily at the bottom. I think it makes our achievements all the more impressive.  

What do you think is more impressive in cricket, a number 3 scoring 200, or a number 11 scoring 100?

Now, my point isn't that Dyche shouldn't win. Maybe he should. But it certainly isn't as clear cut as Robbored's little tantrum. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes. Agreed. But points are expected at the top, but not necessarily at the bottom. I think it makes our achievements all the more impressive.  

What do you think is more impressive in cricket, a number 3 scoring 200, or a number 11 scoring 100?

Now, my point isn't that Dyche shouldn't win. Maybe he should. But it certainly isn't as clear cut as Robbored's little tantrum. 

Would be completely dependant on the situations in which both the #3 and #11 hit their scores ;) A double hundred where a #3 has dug in and clawed for his runs with wickets dropping around him is more impressive than a number 11 who has come in swinging and been dropped a few times riding his luck for example.

I understand the point about us being on a good run around the bottom, but you say points are expected at the top, the other teams at the top have struggled which has allowed Burnley to be sitting at the top after having such a good month. They've also collected the most points having been unbeaten.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Would be completely dependant on the situations in which both the #3 and #11 hit their scores ;) A double hundred where a #3 has dug in and clawed for his runs with wickets dropping around him is more impressive than a number 11 who has come in swinging and been dropped a few times riding his luck for example.

I understand the point about us being on a good run around the bottom, but you say points are expected at the top, the other teams at the top have struggled which has allowed Burnley to be sitting at the top after having such a good month. They've also collected the most points having been unbeaten.

You're a dick. 

(NB this is said in the sort of fashion that I'd say to one of my friends as opposed to the "you're a ******* bellend" meaning). 

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I would think Dyche is also helped by the fact that he was manager for the whole month! LJ was not actually manager technically for the Charlton game. Not sure of the rules, but must be a new one to be manager of the month for a team that you were not manager for part of.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I was making a real point, but it's no surprise that it was lost on you.....:disapointed2se:

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Dyche is far and away the best candidate and if he doesn't win then the award is a complete farce.

Now it's not.

The question is simply about how much has been achieved with the tools/budget at your disposal and the success achieved against that backdrop. I'd wager they also look at any relevant circumstances during the period too, such as the level/form of the opposition. 

It's a little more complicated than results and points. When we lost to Brighton we had injury issues and a manager who barely been here 5 minutes. I reckon those deciding might consider that relevant. 

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's a little more complicated than results and points. When we lost to Brighton we had injury issues and a manager who barely been here 5 minutes. I reckon those deciding might consider that relevant. 

Who or what body actually decides the managers of the month? 

I'd like to see the Month of the Manager - this would be me hosting a radio phone in show in which I interview a football manager about their favourite month.  

Topics would include notable dates during that month, length of the month and possibly the playing of songs featuring that month in the title.

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd like to see the Month of the Manager - this would be me hosting a radio phone in show in which I interview a football manager about their favourite month.  

Topics would include notable dates during that month, length of the month and possibly the playing of songs featuring that month in the title.

Hahaha. Try to read that in your head without imaging Alan Partridge as the voice!

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Hahaha. Try to read that in your head without imaging Alan Partridge as the voice!

I've already got Lynne drafting the pitch to 5Live.  I'm looking to book Phil Brown as the first guest and I'm pretty sure he loves a bit of August action.  Prepare yourself for a 30 minute discussion of Roman Emperors, my birthday, and the outrageous length of the parliamentary recess - plus a phone in debate to decide the best Bank Holiday route to Cornwall (M4/M5 vs M3/A303). Aha!

15 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

You're a dick. 

(NB this is said in the sort of fashion that I'd say to one of my friends as opposed to the "you're a ******* bellend" meaning). 

...I like him but surely 'Dyche'  is more of a 'Dick'  than anyone else mentioned here?

Specially considering some of the spelling of many of us Otibers at times.. :)

Archived