IGNORED

Feel Like Giving Up

8 hours ago, BoneyardTIM said:

As someone who's watched city for over 40 years, so I've seen the good and the bad, I find the atmosphere to be totally related to what's going on on the field. If we are playing well the atmosphere can at times be fantastic.

But my biggest gripe has to be the number of songs with swearing in. Being over 50 means bad language is no longer part of my everyday vocabulary (it's not big and it's not clever) so if the singers want people to join in, come up with something the majority are more comfortable singing.

This can't be a serious post?

As a person under 50 I use swear words in an imaginative way and find they they are a great tool in my vocabulary.

I suggest more songs have swear words included as this will increase my participation rate.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't agree with this....

Walsall at home, I think it was around Xmas 1986, we went one nil down then had Keith Curle sent off controversially.

And what happened next was amazing...there was only just over 10k in the ground but because of the unfair sending off the atmosphere suddenly went up a fair few notches and we simply would not let City lose.

The noise was incredible as everyone roared the boys on, especially the pastel coloured jumper crew in the Enclosure.

When we equalised that was great but still not enough and the noise levels went up again. And Paul Fitzpatrick duly popped up with a winner in front of the frenzied East End.

The crowd undoubtedly played a huge part in that victory, and the players acknowledged that afterwards...so frankly, it's not ridiculous...

The same thing happened against Middlesbrough, Tuesday evening game early 1990s.

Down to 9 men (Leroy Rosenior red carded controversially) and the atmosphere was electric.

We drew 1-1 from memory.

12 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, how come Palace - with their much celebrated super fans and atmosphere - are on a long run of poor form? 

I'd say the effect on the players is diluted when it's like that week in, week out. It starts to go in one ear, and out the other, taken for granted.

It can seem to work but only occasionally, not every week.

Agree with this. I like to look at our support at West Brom as another example where fan support carried our team through the game. As soon as we went a goal down we raised it even louder, and there's no doubt it would've been such a confidence booster for the players. Could have easily crumbled without that support but went on to score two which at the time was quite unthinkable. Then I look at Leeds who have outstanding away support everywhere, but are continuously let down because it's just the norm for their players.

What I find embarrasing about football can be summed up by the twenty or so Cardiff fans walking into the ground signing 'Fight... Fight wherever you may be' on Saturday. Lots of Stone Island and Burberry but not a bicep between them.

Hooliganism isn't glamorous its pathetic and these young kids will ruin their lives with criminal records and banning orders before they ever get to understand the true meaning of supporting a football club.

I prefer to stand at football but I sit in the SS. The 80 something year old lifelong fan with the oxygen tank sat behind me is my reason for respecting the rules. He doesn't sing much but I bet he's given more for his club than most.

The kids who sit two rows in front are the reason I keep my language in check. I slip up sometimes and I'm sure their Dad says the same to them that mine said to me...'Not in front of your mother'!

Football can be for everyone. And trust me, when its needed the atmosphere in the 'civilised' end can rock just as much as the Atyeo!

23 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, how come Palace - with their much celebrated super fans and atmosphere - are on a long run of poor form? 

I'd say the effect on the players is diluted when it's like that week in, week out. It starts to go in one ear, and out the other, taken for granted.

It can seem to work but only occasionally, not every week.

The Palace fans strike me as more of your Premier League approved fans, wave flags and sing songs and get on the clips advertising the upcoming Super Uber Monday Night Football Extravaganza or somesuch.

What makes atmosphere is usually either hostility from the crowd, which usually requires some kind of on the pitch incident to spark it off, or euphoria, when a big occasion goes the right way, and on those occasions nobody remembers the tense atmosphere that was there until we started winning.

I also think you're right though, in that if the atmosphere is deemed as 'good', then it ceases to be much of an advantage and is just expected.

Archived