IGNORED

Feel Like Giving Up

31 minutes ago, 22A said:

I've always wondered who set the Terms of Reference for that Taylor Report? Lord Taylor was tasked not just with making football grounds safer, but with "introducing the gentrification of the game". In other words get rid of the likes of you & me and replace us with corporate boxes and family stands where spectators will sit in neat rows and applaud politely at the end. Expanding on that; theoretically we have one law for everyone in this country. Why therefore can you stand with a beer in your hand to watch first class cricket and rugby matches, but not football? Oh I forgot; cricket & rugby are "establishment" sports.

Thing is fella...the likes of you and me, can have a drink and still know how to have fun, without being a complete dick head...as do the majority at cricket and rugby and other sports.

Football has got too many idiots following it, with anti social problems. That's not harsh...it's a reality. I don't believe it's a them and us attitude. If it weren't for the hooligan element of the past, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Yes...there are a great number of people that can be trusted at football, but there are enough that can't be trusted, and it is those that spoil it for everyone.

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This thread wouldn't be here had we won today. Standard OTIB. 

Maybe I would have, maybe I wouldn't have. The point is not the result though. Arsenal win a lot (no spoilers from today please) but have a crap atmosphere so does not appeal to me at all. This thread appeared because we played our biggest rivals in this league and it felt like a nothing game.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Thing is fella...the likes of you and me, can have a drink and still know how to have fun, without being a complete dick head...as do the majority at cricket and rugby and other sports.

Football has got too many idiots following it, with anti social problems. That's not harsh...it's a reality. I don't believe it's a them and us attitude. If it weren't for the hooligan element of the past, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Yes...there are a great number of people that can be trusted at football, but there are enough that can't be trusted, and it is those that spoil it for everyone.

Football has been labelled with this violent hooligan element(rightly in the past)  And forever will it remain. When was the last time there was serious trouble at a football match. To my mind was the last city rovers Derby in the Johnston paint trophy. And the worst violence I personally seen was delt out by the police. 

Punch ups at cricket and rugby on existent? Really?

The English cricket following is called "the barmy army!" Sound ominous. 

"Pillow fights at dawn only, Major!"

18 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Arsenal win a lot (no spoilers from today please) but have a crap atmosphere so does not appeal to me at all. 

Must appeal a bit? 

To be honest I'd be more inclined to put it down to 3 stands than 4; but agree it was quite placid. 

12 noon doesn't help mind and would never generate what an evening kick off v Cardiff did - which is what I remember of 10 years ago when you got derby games on Friday nights on sky or midweek evening games because of no travel. 

It's the policing and scheduling rather than 'football' I'd say. 

7 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Football has been labelled with this violent hooligan element(rightly in the past)  And forever will it remain. When was the last time there was serious trouble at a football match. To my mind was the last city rovers Derby in the Johnston paint trophy. And the worst violence I personally seen was delt out by the police. 

There is always 'trouble' of some kind at football...less in this country now...but still plenty of anti social behaviour.

Way less at other sports...funnily, any anti social behaviour I've witnessed at Rugby and Cricket, have been by guys who generally follow football as their number one sport.

17 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Was it that long ago that the Dolman B and A block saw fit to tumble a Leeds fan down the steps to a rain or punches and phlegm? 

Like you say Rovers game. I'm sure there will be some unsavouries in France too. 

Frankly, I agree with Spudski - rightly, we (as fans) bear the brunt of the idiots that come out in force for games like these. Certainly more stone island on show today than in recent weeks. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

This thread wouldn't be here had we won today. Standard OTIB. 

You might be right Fordy but the declining atmospheres is an issue that transcends any particular result. Our atmosphere today wasn't any great shakes even when we were still in the game, and Cardiff were baffling silent despite leading for most of the match.

Agree.

The 'sit down shut up' brigade have inherited the world. They were walking out the dolman with 10 minutes left to play.

I started going when I was 5 with my dad and we didn't have family zones/areas. What is it? The precious little darlings can't take a few naughty words nowadays? Will their heads explode?

Scum.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

There is always 'trouble' of some kind at football...less in this country now...but still plenty of anti social behaviour.

Way less at other sports...funnily, any anti social behaviour I've witnessed at Rugby and Cricket, have been by guys who generally follow football as their number one sport.

So you either know them. Or you've strolled up and and candidly asked them there preferred sport?  

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Was it that long ago that the Dolman B and A block saw fit to tumble a Leeds fan down the steps to a rain or punches and phlegm? 

Like you say Rovers game. I'm sure there will be some unsavouries in France too. 

Frankly, I agree with Spudski - rightly, we (as fans) bear the brunt of the idiots that come out in force for games like these. Certainly more stone island on show today than in recent weeks. 

Was there trouble today? 

Everyone on here complaining of the quiet atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

If so many people feel like this then how can they just don't come together and make this brilliant atmosphere?

Thing is They'll sit on their hands all game.  Then rant on about the shit atmosphere once they return to the comfort of the Internet. 

If only we could create an atmosphere from the rants and inflated opinions on this forum, Ashton Gate would be rocking week in week out!  

Look out for the app in the near future I guess. 

11 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Was there trouble today? 

Everyone on here complaining of the quiet atmosphere. 

Not as far as I'm aware, but then on the flip side a trouble-free, 12 o'clock kick off with many having their eyes on a trip to France for a once-in-life-time trip for the Welsh contingent is arguably hollow. 

3 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Thing is They'll sit on their hands all game.  Then rant on about the shit atmosphere once they return to the comfort of the Internet. 

If only we could create an atmosphere from the rants and inflated opinions on this forum, Ashton Gate would be rocking week in week out!  

Look out for the app in the near future I guess. 

Agreed and people like me are partly to blame, I stand in the Atyeo but never start chants, sure I get stuck in at times but it's hard when the chants are the same boring shit and the team gives you nothing. Then again fair play to those who always try to get things started

I love football. I love watching Bristol City home and away. Today was just another game against a team not that far away, not a derby of any sorts, the Gas. Football on and off the pitch has changed as has society. The atmosphere today I thought was ok certainly better than lots of other games at home this season. How do we improve it I ain't got the clue. 

2 hours ago, clerk said:

Agree.

The 'sit down shut up' brigade have inherited the world. They were walking out the dolman with 10 minutes left to play.

I started going when I was 5 with my dad and we didn't have family zones/areas. What is it? The precious little darlings can't take a few naughty words nowadays? Will their heads explode?

Scum.

I think it was more the people getting crushed to death, both here and abroad, that forced the 'sit down shut up' brigade to, rather belatedly, act. You tend to find the majority of society take a dim view of people dying on mass, at football matches or anywhere, not just the 'sit down shut up' brigade

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think it was more the people getting crushed to death, both here and abroad, that forced the 'sit down shut up' brigade to, rather belatedly, act. You tend to find the majority of society take a dim view of people dying on mass, at football matches or anywhere, not just the 'sit down shut up' brigade

To stamp this out from ever happening again. 

Lets just ban large crowds from watching any form of sport. Sanitise the world. Cut out all possible risk. We would all be much happier wouldn't we?  

For whatever reason it seems it's like this for alot of clubs. Of the away games I've been to the last few seasons the home ends have usually been fairly quiet while we sing away generally making quite a noise. But when those very same teams have come to our ground they've had reasonably loud away support. Something about being away and hemmed in together that seems to bring out the us v them and giving it your all for the team. Maybe at home we can be too guilty of waiting for someone else to do it. If you look on Cardiff's forum they are talking about lack of atmosphere at home but seem happy with their away day today. 

It's a shame that we can't get anywhere near to the levels we get to when we play Rovers, unless it's a really key game like we've had over the years in the play offs like Hartlepool and Palace for example or Coventry when we had to stave off the threat of relegation. 

I think the shifting around while the ground is done isn't helping much at the moment as probably a few areas have ended up getting split up

40 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

So you either know them. Or you've strolled up and and candidly asked them there preferred sport?  

Neither...they've generally been wearing football shirts...have a flag supporting said football team, or I've overheard them speaking about following their football team.

Sorry fella...how you are trying to make out football fans are the same as cricket or football is beyond me.

There are many well behaved football fans that enjoy all sports...what other sport do you hear of hooligan elements or hear of fights over what team you support? Very, very rare...

22 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Not as far as I'm aware, but then on the flip side a trouble-free, 12 o'clock kick off with many having their eyes on a trip to France for a once-in-life-time trip for the Welsh contingent is arguably hollow. 

So we have a massive hooligan element hell bent on causing heaps of trouble in France at the Euros rather than dirty their hands today. Better let the police know of this inside knowledge of yours. 

15 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

To stamp this out from ever happening again. 

Lets just ban large crowds from watching any form of sport. Sanitise the world. Cut out all possible risk. We would all be much happier wouldn't we?  

Crowds are large now, much larger than from 75-90, not surprisingly, as this was when people were dying at football and/ or getting kicked to ****.

Utd were getting 40 to 50k in 70s and 80s, now it's 75k. Arse got about 40k, now 59k. Crowds are now on a par with the post war records. 

Where have all the singers in general gone? This game in recent years for example would have had Cardiff fans sandwiched between Eastend and bottom and top tiers of Williams nearest. Once the ground is sorted, where are the people that used to be in those areas intending to go. A and B Block Dolman also used to be louder back when the away end years ago was terraced and they were in the corner where they started off this year. Gradually faded from there though when away fans moved over to Eastend and then Eastend reopened to us. 

Archived