IGNORED

Feel Like Giving Up

Don't really care that we lost today. Sure I'm upset a little but the same thing was wrong today that were wrong at the reverse fixture. Did it feel like the Cardiffs games of even 10 years ago? No. It was flat. If I just liked watching football I'd have stayed at home today and watched the North London Derby. I'd save money and a lot of heartache that way. But I come to the Gate, not to observe the game, but to experience and participate in that game.

But every week I feel less and less involved. Most people in the Atyeo seem content with singing a few times and then if we score. This does not happen in any other country in the world. Even the yanks and Aussies produce better atmospheres than we do. Would rather we were in League 2 and rocking everyweek than our current arrangement. Football should be about releasing all the stress and tension built up in the week from work, relationships and other crap you've go bringing you down. Football culture has to change, but for the life of me I don't know how.

The atmosphere at Ashton Gate has been in decline for seasons. Its pretty mundane. The ten years comment may betray your age. Twenty five years ago the atmosphere would be dark and malevolent, while that dark side can be criticised it also carried an allure of its own.

Those days are never coming back, that feel is never coming back. The only way of fans reviving a small part of matchday could be what fans in the Atyeo are attempting.

Heads up, keep it up.

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the Cardiff fans have to take their shame of the blame. Despite selling out their allocation they stood in silence for long periods even when leading the game. I was amazed they were so quiet.

Louder than us, we were shocking

england england, sheep shaggers, slience for 20 mins, england england, baseball bat baseball bat zzzzz

34 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Football should be about releasing all the stress and tension built up in the week from work, relationships and other crap you've go bringing you down.

If you're using City to relieve your everyday life stresses you might need a good shrink soon mate!! ;)

See I always find this topic interesting, and it is quite widespread, people starting to feel a level of apathy towards football.  

My explanation of it would not be to blame Sky entirely, but how much more exposure we as fans have to it.  This has slowly increased since the formation of the premier league where you had one match per week on TV to what you have today, if you wanted to you could watch 15 matches a week in 10 different countries, there are numerous websites, fans forums and apps, television channels dedicated purely to sports news (90% of which is football), you can easily access videos of old matches, whereas before the best thing you had was your memory.  

Now in the short term that felt great, we all love football and like that we can watch it so often, relive moments etc, however we have so much oppertunity to watch it that it really does feel repetitive.  Even ignoring the fact that there is now a "big 4" or 5/6 now, in all leagues it just feels very much like same old same old.  

This issue is not specific to city, it is happening with fans up and down the country. 

It is the reason why I support the formation of a European Super League, where hopefully the big teams take the repetitiveness with it.  

There is always a correlation between what happens on the pitch and in the stands, today was bloody abysmal on the pitch, the same in the stands. Head up, Ipswich, boro etc were good. That said I grew up on the Wilson derbies, they had great atmosphere, Severn side derby means naff all in comparison. The fact that we lost probably makes it feel worse.

4 minutes ago, Cider red said:

There is always a correlation between what happens on the pitch and in the stands, today was bloody abysmal on the pitch, the same in the stands. Head up, Ipswich, boro etc were good. That said I grew up on the Wilson derbies, they had great atmosphere, Severn side derby means naff all in comparison. The fact that we lost probably makes it feel worse.

Agree with all that. 12:00 kick off doesn't help either....

There are many factors in all honesty.

The main thing for me is that football in the modern era is a performance piece more than anything else.

Tactics have evolved and the laws have evolved. The prevalence of variations of the 4-5-1 formation and possession based tactics, together with the minimal contact or aggression allowed has changed the game completely.

Combine this with the mass oversaturation of football on all media and social network mediums, the horrifically priced ticket prices, the treatment by clubs and stewards towards a 'certain kind' of supporter on match days...

Clubs these days are run primarily as businesses above anything else.

And the fact for quite a few of us supporters that go to watch games is that, unless your side is filled with Messi, Suarez and Neymar who do the sublime in front of goal every week, excitement in the stands is generated by more than deft touches in the final third. It's created by thunderous, but fair tackles in midfield, by measured aggression and confrontations on the pitch and less robotic play caused by the amount players are tactically drilled today. None of which would be allowed at a decent level anymore sadly.

We are ridiculously close to an era of zero-contact football, watched entirely by stadiums full of supporters that will sit largely in silence as the ball is passed continuously around non-threatening areas of the pitch without a struggle until a goal is scored and a brief cheer can be heard.

I blame the middle classes for the demise of atmosphere in the modern game. They have no passion! Then wont "let their hair down down " .Really cheer "their team" on. One they have no passion for.  "What would Crawford or Finnly or my good wife say"? 

I also blame the German's and Thatcher!!!!!

Apathy...it's created by Government and people in power.

It's not just in football...but everything.

It's a way of controlling the masses...everyone has slowly been indoctrinated, it's happened without people even noticing...especially in this country.

Does anyone in all honesty feel as passionate about this Club as they used to? I know I don't...it's something I just do out of habit now.

It's a love/hate relationship...

The thread on this forum about season ticket prices and some of the comments are probably all you need to know about football in the country.

I love city but the attraction of live football, that has become so sanitised, has all but gone.

I'm amazed clubs don't get it.

There is nothing more boring than sitting still for a hour and a half.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a way of controlling the masses...everyone has slowly been indoctrinated, it's happened without people even noticing...especially in this country.

Does anyone in all honesty feel as passionate about this Club as they used to? I know I don't...it's something I just do out of habit now.

That's what i said :yes:

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

How things still are elsewhere in Europe;

Disgusting, look closely and you'll see one or two people not sat in their correct seats.

Also,  I'm fluent in a number of languages, be thankful your kids aren't. Some of the blue language is deplorable. 

Makes you want to stay at home and watch Bournemouth v Watford.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've always wondered who set the Terms of Reference for that Taylor Report? Lord Taylor was tasked not just with making football grounds safer, but with "introducing the gentrification of the game". In other words get rid of the likes of you & me and replace us with corporate boxes and family stands where spectators will sit in neat rows and applaud politely at the end. Expanding on that; theoretically we have one law for everyone in this country. Why therefore can you stand with a beer in your hand to watch first class cricket and rugby matches, but not football? Oh I forgot; cricket & rugby are "establishment" sports.

14 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

I blame the middle classes for the demise of atmosphere in the modern game. They have no passion! Then wont "let their hair down down " .Really cheer "their team" on. One they have no passion for.  "What would Crawford or Finnly or my good wife say"? 

I also blame the German's and Thatcher!!!!!

GERMANY YES But what have you got against CIDER?

30 minutes ago, 22A said:

How things still are elsewhere in Europe;

But then people whinge that it is artificial and then some people have an allergy to drums and megaphones and others won't like it if you wave a flag whilst the game is in progress because they've paid for their spot in the Atyeo and they don't want Harry obstructing their view of the pitch with his pole. 

Archived