IGNORED

Charlton Athletic Statement

cheshire_red

Don't think I have ever seen a statement like that - smacks of them having a hissy fit as they don't like their motives / the way in which they are running the club being called into question,

Very simple, football clubs are not just a "play thing" to the supporters that spend hard earned cash supporting home and away, whatever these owners may think - issuing statements like that will do nothing more than create more unrest.

Hope Charlton fans keep kicking up a fuss and these owners f off to wherever it is they've come from and the fans get their club back

One of many hilarious aspects of the statement is that I doubt very much if it was intended for the final paragraph to be included, in fact the whole thing looks like a draft waiting to be edited.

Their fans think the owners are just bonkers and so does:

https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/709886343258775552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Did anyone see on the same page that Charlton are offering free coach travel to Sheffield Wed? That seems a bit different from the rest of their attitude to fans.

I also noted that match tickets for that game are £20, a bit less than we were charged at Hillsborough.

Absolutely amazing. Because it is so likely to be edited later on, I'm going to copy and paste it here for safekeeping...

Dear Fans, 

Last Sunday, some individuals did not come to The Valley to watch the game and support the team, but came to create disorder on the pitch and interfere with the players and the game. Disorder which is, allegedly, needed to drive change in ownership and management. 

Whom would they expect the club to be sold to? How long would a sales process take? Is it easier to sell the club when it is in League One rather than Championship? 

Some individuals seem to want the club to fail. This is a confused approach, since following this logic leads to exactly the opposite of what we all want: staying in the Championship. 

Allegations regarding the CEO are misrepresented* and are continuously used as a method to discredit and fuel personal abuse, hatred and with a risk to personal safety. 

Although certain individuals tell you it does not happen, in recent weeks Roland Duchatelet has met the fans, the CEO has met with several different groups of fans and the communications team have attended several fans meetings.  We will continue these meetings and constructive dialogue with fans. 

We have 9 games left in which we have to get 6 points more than our competitors. 

The team just got 7 points out of 3 games. 

We still have the chance to make it happen with the support of the fans until the very last game. We must believe it is still possible. Every football fan knows the 12th man is a crucial factor in the success on the pitch.  

*I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and {…} they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird (meaning unique) because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that's a really difficult balance of how you try and engage with fans and make them, incorporated into some of the decisions of the club, {…}.

16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

*I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and {…} they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird (meaning unique) because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that's a really difficult balance of how you try and engage with fans and make them, incorporated into some of the decisions of the club, {…}.

If people aren't satisfied with the product at the cinema or restaurant they tend to complain politely as long as the person in charge is willing to listen.

Is this statement saying that rather than go to matches and shout that the owner will be willing to listen to customers complaints after the game? And possibly offer a refund if the customers are genuinely not satisfied?

Strange.

2 minutes ago, Dogbert said:

If people aren't satisfied with the product at the cinema or restaurant they tend to complain politely as long as the person in charge is willing to listen.

Is this statement saying that rather than go to matches and shout that the owner will be willing to listen to customers complaints after the game? And possibly offer a refund if the customers are genuinely not satisfied?

Strange.

Actually I carry a beach ball and a coffin with me at all times in case I find a hair in my burger.  It really gets the managers attention when you start a eulogy in Nando's at 8pm on a Thursday and finish it by belting a beach ball into the kitchen area.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

One of many hilarious aspects of the statement is that I doubt very much if it was intended for the final paragraph to be included, in fact the whole thing looks like a draft waiting to be edited.

Their fans think the owners are just bonkers and so does:

https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/709886343258775552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I think that's spot on. 

If that was intended to be released then the author needs sectioning.  

It reads like a very bitter memo sent between club officials.

OK I can now see from other sources that the asterix at the end is indeed part of the statement.  Probably the most astonishing "official statement" of any kind I've ever read.  I can only assume from the bizarre last paragraph - not to mention appalling grammar and sentence construction - that this was published in error.

Someone at Charlton will no doubt get the sack today because of that!

This bit is truly incredible:

I'm so frustrated by the two {...} sections.  These must be the bits deemed unsuitable to go out?  What a proof read that must have been!

Makes me think there's a really pissed off work experience kid in the media department who was given a nice proper press release and just thought "to hell with this, I'm having me some fun".

And now he's locked the website so no-one can take it down, the evil yet hilarious little knave.

37 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The difference is that nobody, whether fan or customer, will travel from London to Burnley, Hull or Middlesbrough on a cold, wet Tuesday night just to visit a Vue cinema or a Nandos. It's simply stupid and pure business speak to refer to fans as customers. Bloody Belgians.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The difference is that nobody, whether fan or customer, will travel from London to Burnley, Hull or Middlesbrough on a cold, wet Tuesday night just to visit a Vue cinema or a Nandos. It's simply stupid and pure business speak to refer to fans as customers. Bloody Belgians.

I agree, but think the difference is also that most people are not emotionally invested in the performance and success of their local Wagamama*.  Most people don't walk around with a Wagamama shirt on. Most people don't (on the whole) get "Wagamama 'til I die" tattooed on their arm.  Most people weren't taken to Wagamama by their dad and grandad since they were 5 years old.  Therefore, unlike with a football club at which these things do happen - most people do not have a deep affinity with Wagamama.

*other chain restaurants are available.

Archived