IGNORED

Season Tickets 16/17

G Block

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

…and seems to require an inordinate amount of forward planning and up front investment!

It's mad, isn't it?

I think football is approaching a bit of a crunch point with this sort of issue. It seems, to me at least, the balance of customer/supporter is as murky as ever and clubs can't quite make up their minds what they actually want us to be.

I'm sure a bit of both, ideally, but I'm also not sure a bit of both is totally feasible.

I appreciate this is a debate that's probably been had for decades, but as the numbers get bigger so does the problem.

I'm not sure where joe and I are going to go next season.

there is a huge part of me that loves being in the SS.  I love watching from behind the goal, even if the low position makes the depth of field difficult to view.  I just love watching the runs, and off the ball movement.  I don't think you get that side on.

However, the lure of the new stand will be great, especially the middle wheelchair tier.  View ought to be great.

Finally Joe (and me - see pic) love the players celebrating right in front of us!

For £50, cost isn't an issue.  Can't argue with that value.

image.jpeg

1. Club has spent £50m and given a ground with fantastic facilities, what do you expect? Better facilities equals higher prices.

2. People wanting the upper tier open, probably the same who ever worried at how sparsly populated the ground will look if it were opened...

3. The club has dropped the ball regarding the Atyeo, no long term provision for singing fans means the atmosphere may well be crap for years to come 

29 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Far too simplistic to dismiss this as an issue of greed. A loss-making business which has just invested a fortune in its infrastructure is not in a healthy position to start giving back to the community - especially if we expect to see performances on the pitch improve.

That is not to say I am defending the specific prices set; I absolutely agree that the West Stand tickets are overpriced. But the range of ticket prices will have been designed with the intention of maximising overall revenue. In turn, maximising revenues then enables the club to compete more effectively in this division.

We are competing against clubs with parachute payments and larger average attendances. We all complain when we see players go to other, richer clubs. TV money at Championship level is significant, but nowhere near to the same extent as it is in the Premier League. 

If the board thought that overall revenues would be maximised by selling all season tickets for £200, there would be no reason not to do that. Clearly they don't believe that is the case. I don't believe it's due to personal greed that tickets are priced where they are.

What isn't in question is that football in general is too expensive. But the price of football in a broader sense is a much bigger issue than just Bristol City.

Well put ChippenhamRed People forget we lose 10 million a year. Yes prices need to be realistic but I think the club has given a range of options to maximise income this year.

ie. £500 + in the West stand but new under 25 category.

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

1. Club has spent £50m and given a ground with fantastic facilities, what do you expect? Better facilities equals higher prices.

2. People wanting the upper tier open, probably the same who ever worried at how sparsly populated the ground will look if it were opened...

3. The club has dropped the ball regarding the Atyeo, no long term provision for singing fans means the atmosphere may well be crap for years to come 

I agree with your first two points.

On the third point, we have forgotten too quickly that the club wanted to install safe standing - surely the ultimate solution for the singers - and were denied through no fault of their own. It also appears that the club consulted with the singers who themselves decided to stay where they are.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure where joe and I are going to go next season.

there is a huge part of me that loves being in the SS.  I love watching from behind the goal, even if the low position makes the depth of field difficult to view.  I just love watching the runs, and off the ball movement.  I don't think you get that side on.

However, the lure of the new stand will be great, especially the middle wheelchair tier.  View ought to be great.

Finally Joe (and me - see pic) love the players celebrating right in front of us!

For £50, cost isn't an issue.  Can't argue with that value.

image.jpeg

Disgusting. Leaping about like that and blocking that poor little lad`s view. You should be ashamed of yourself!:whistle:

35 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They are paying for an enhanced level of membership with additional benefits such as away ticket priority. The standard membership benefits still apply.

I get that but still don't get why next season if you had a season card this season your member plus and if you buy a season card as a new card holder you have to pay £20 to get same benefits as someone else who pays the same as you.

Whats the thinking behind that apart from making new season card holders having to pay more.

1 minute ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I get that but still don't get why next season if you had a season card this season your member plus and if you buy a season card as a new card holder you have to pay £20 to get same benefits as someone else who pays the same as you.

Whats the thinking behind that apart from making new season card holders having to pay more.

Loyalty to existing ones? Anyhow, they don`t have to pay it if they don`t want to.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Got no problem with the upper tier being retained for overflow only. For your average game, a 16k-ish attendance would look a lot worse spread over all 27,000 seats - and it would do nothing for the atmosphere.

In my view it would be better to make the prime upper tier central area available before the lower wings. You could keep the upper tier wings empty.

Er, sorry to derail a bandwagon but season ticket sales are simply not price dependent. If you want one you pay it. If you don't, discounts don't influence you. 

Rovers can charge a tenner for a season ticket. No thanks. I am not a gas head. Bristol rugby can charge £30 for a season ticket...Sorry not arsed until the inevitable stroll to defeat in the playoffs.

The floating support will simply say no thanks unless it becomes impossible to get hold of a ticket on match day (in a 27000 ground?) or the price is so low for all that any future transfer policy needs to budget on Downs League players.

As the clamour for big signings builds over the summer, take note of ex eastenders who openly state they don't want discount tickets.....perhaps the mistake is our new rates are too cheap?

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Loyalty to existing ones? Anyhow, they don`t have to pay it if they don`t want to.

I agree, it seems that maybe the reason why.

Just think its a bit off you pay your money and then you've got to pay more to get the same rewards as the person sat next to you.

4 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree, it seems that maybe the reason why.

Just think its a bit off you pay your money and then you've got to pay more to get the same rewards as the person sat next to you.

So how do you reward loyalty to  existing season ticket holders without discounting the price !

Just think there are better ways.

Live in Manchester had a season ticket for 18 years my son had one for 8. Stopped buying one for he plays football on Saturdays and would struggle to get to games in time.

If I renewed this year I would have to pay the extra £20 for each of us to get the rewards club are offering whilst someone who's had a season ticket for 1 year last season gets them free.

I know my fault for not renewing but surely must be a way to look at people's buying history and maybe have a sliding scale of discounts due to amount of years you've had a ticket. 

For example 5 years history 10% discount in ground

10 years 10% discount plus say a free shirt or voucher in club shop.

This would encourage people to keep buying and then feel there is a reward for your loyalty, and not feel disappointed if you lose your job, circumstances change and can't afford one for a couple of years. Can't be that difficult to create a database with each persons buying history so can be implemented.

Just one idea I'm sure people could think of others. End of the day the club know supporters are loyal and will follow no matter what so can do whatever they want knowing we will still buy season cards or POTD tickets.

I agree that we should have reduced them a bit to try and get crowds as big as possible for the new build. I don't want to have a pop at the club too much though, they've clearly put a lot of thought into things and at the end of the day, we will have a wonderful stadium to watch our club in next season! :)

9 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Er, sorry to derail a bandwagon but season ticket sales are simply not price dependent. If you want one you pay it. If you don't, discounts don't influence you. 

Rovers can charge a tenner for a season ticket. No thanks. I am not a gas head. Bristol rugby can charge £30 for a season ticket...Sorry not arsed until the inevitable stroll to defeat in the playoffs.

The floating support will simply say no thanks unless it becomes impossible to get hold of a ticket on match day (in a 27000 ground?) or the price is so low for all that any future transfer policy needs to budget on Downs League players.

As the clamour for big signings builds over the summer, take note of ex eastenders who openly state they don't want discount tickets.....perhaps the mistake is our new rates are too cheap?

"Season ticket sales are not price dependent".

Am I at risk of a "whoosh" if I disagree with this comment?

22 hours ago, NYTRAM said:

This is not the case. Having done this twice already, I can assure you that those without season tickets have to pay. The bonus is the flag bearing or pitch tour.

My apologies if I'm incorrect.

Certainly a few years ago the club gave away free tickets, both child and adult to those groups.

The fact remains that adults without children will have to move, and their seats may we'll be occupied by a free ST given to an U12.

I really can't see how this can be policed, an individual who wants to remain there simply needs to claim a free ticket for an U12 relative, or child of a friend.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

"Season ticket sales are not price dependent".

Am I at risk of a "whoosh" if I disagree with this comment?

A whoosh for me as well?

Is there a case for higher POTD prices that make getting a ST more attractive even if you can't make all the games, along with pay monthly deals (which I see are available now).

Would Bradford have sold all the tickets they did if they weren't cheap as chips?

8 hours ago, London expats said:

So how do you reward loyalty to  existing season ticket holders without discounting the price !

Why do you need to 'reward' loyalty?

I have been a 'loyal' fan for many years, but there was a period of time when I simply couldn't attend games, now long in the past.

Anyone who attends games should be rewarded by ticket prices as low as possible, the current pricing structure favours young people and old people over the rest who may well have considerable more call on their incomes than those two groups. 

I would simply have had two prices, under 20 and over 20, with the same price for a seat irrespective of where it is in the ground.

Whats to stop someone buying a cheaper ticket in the SS, and then sitting in a vacant seat (of which there will be many) in the Dolman or West Stand? I really can't see the stewards checking every ST card near to kick off or at half time.

20 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

A whoosh for me as well?

Is there a case for higher POTD prices that make getting a ST more attractive even if you can't make all the games, along with pay monthly deals (which I see are available now).

Would Bradford have sold all the tickets they did if they weren't cheap as chips?

Exactly - season tickets sales are clearly price dependent. As a non-STH member who goes to about 8-10 home games a season, I would buy one if the price was £200.

I don't agree with your POTD proposal though - that would be unfair on those who can only make a few games a season, and would discourage potential new supporters. Personally I will be disappointed if there isn't a decrease in match ticket prices.

45 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly - season tickets sales are clearly price dependent. As a non-STH member who goes to about 8-10 home games a season, I would buy one if the price was £200.

I don't agree with your POTD proposal though - that would be unfair on those who can only make a few games a season, and would discourage potential new supporters. Personally I will be disappointed if there isn't a decrease in match ticket prices.

Appreciate your point of view Chip, but my idea was really aimed at those people who only miss a few games, but can't be bothered to buy a ST.

For people who attend say 4 or 5 games a season a price increase won't cost the earth, and POTD does cost more to administer and deliver.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

At £200,as yourself,someone who can't make it every home match,I would buy one at that price and would find myself attending more home games than I do at present because of holding that card..it would provide me with the stimulus to resist other life requirements!!.I'm sure there would be many like us,aided in decision making with attractive pricing.

21 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Far too simplistic to dismiss this as an issue of greed. A loss-making business which has just invested a fortune in its infrastructure is not in a healthy position to start giving back to the community - especially if we expect to see performances on the pitch improve.

That is not to say I am defending the specific prices set; I absolutely agree that the West Stand tickets are overpriced. But the range of ticket prices will have been designed with the intention of maximising overall revenue. In turn, maximising revenues then enables the club to compete more effectively in this division.

We are competing against clubs with parachute payments and larger average attendances. We all complain when we see players go to other, richer clubs. TV money at Championship level is significant, but nowhere near to the same extent as it is in the Premier League. 

If the board thought that overall revenues would be maximised by selling all season tickets for £200, there would be no reason not to do that. Clearly they don't believe that is the case. I don't believe it's due to personal greed that tickets are priced where they are.

What isn't in question is that football in general is too expensive. But the price of football in a broader sense is a much bigger issue than just Bristol City.

That's a good reply and I for one will not detract from it by not agreeing, I do agree!!

On 3/19/2016 at 08:11, ChippenhamRed said:

£200!!

Even selling thousands more season tickets I should think we would be reducing our turnover and the big signings with wages to match that everyone is clamouring for would continue to be elusive.

We are filling the current ground with the existing price structure so demand is exceeding supply, I am not sure what the bottom of the Williams gives us extra next season, but even if we had reduced prices it wouldn't have been by that much!

This season demand exceeds supply -hence AG sold out !

Next season is completely different - supply exceeds demand. Prospect of up to 11,000 empty seats at every match .POTD becomes an attractive proposition for many fans who unlike this season will be able to pick and choose their games.Instead I fear a more than half empty  West stand, most ST holders in the Dolman said yesterday they would not move due to the proposed high  West Stand prices.

Adult  ST pricing of £200 for the SS , £300 for the Dolman and West upper and surrounds  with £350 for West central I'm sure would have got fans excited with potentially 18,000 holders. No loss of ST revenue but vastly increased income from concessions.

Better atmosphere too especially if the Atyeo was reserved for Away fans only. 3 sides of the stadium packed with our fans and up to 4,000 away fans making the atmosphere electric. Can't believe we have agreed to our singing section now squeezed into a corner of the least attractive end , outnumbered 3 to 1 by Away fans . Absolutely crazy! Should have made the South Stand unreserved seating allowing flags etc to make it our end which we attack in the second half .A la old East End  Instead it is a family stand with empty seats in abundance as is the case at every match this season. Why not have the family section in the Lower Dolman or Upper West Stand?

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

£200!!

Even selling thousands more season tickets I should think we would be reducing our turnover and the big signings with wages to match that everyone is clamouring for would continue to be elusive.

We are filling the current ground with the existing price structure so demand is exceeding supply, I am not sure what the bottom of the Williams gives us extra next season, but even if we had reduced prices it wouldn't have been by that much!

It was merely a price I picked out of the air to demonstrate a point.

I understand the ecomonics and I not arguing for a £200 season ticket.

I think the adult prices are a touch high, but looking at it overall, it seems city are after the younger fans, and trying to keep them hooked. Whether its first time season tickets as a late teen/early 20s or a student adopting city as their club. Having a cheap price all the way up to u22 and then a not huge, but noticeable jump for u25, it seems that's the key demographic here and they have made adult prices higher to compensate for that. Whether it's right or not is arguable and down to opinion, but looks like a longer term plan while having prices competitive with others in the division.

Fifty quid for a kids season ticket with a free shirt is a bargain 

Even more of a bargain when you reference (as I've just done) the cost of a kids ticket for the blue few.

Not only do parents risk child cruelty charges for taking them there is the first place, but the cheapest kids ticket is 98 quid.

Wally must know something that the rest of us don't.

Archived