IGNORED

Lee Tomlin & midfield in general & Pembo

EmersonsRed

45 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry Taz but do not agree with you about Matthews. Covered the rest of the back four very well. Looked after his "Winger" ver well and still found time to get forward and help in attacks.

What more could he have done to please? Maybe it is true about City fans; however we play, we have to pick on one to be "Disaster of the Week".

Not at all. For the first 20 mins or so Bolton got past him quite a few times, and I thought he looked a bit off the pace. Admittedly I was sat right in line with where he was playing, so perhaps I picked up on it more than others did? 

As the game went on he did improve (defensively), and made some crucial interceptions as pointed out elsewhere on this thread. Going forward he looked good, but I'm also aware he probably isn't fully match fit yet. Everyone know you shouldn't right off a player off too soon - look at Matt Smith!!

Just don't think we should be getting carried away too soon.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Do people still think Reid isn't good enough? Plays 70 minutes in a 6-0 win when Freeman was on the bench. Why people think he should be let go really does flabbergast me.

I would say being 1/11th of a winning team proves very little about the ability of an individual. You can win a game handsomely but that doesn't mean every player is of the required standard.

50 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Tomlin, Odemwingie, Matthews and Baker have added some class to our team. We need to do all we can to sign as many of them up as possible. Without them we would be down and out by now.

For me Matthews and Baker are most important, our defence us finally looking solid 

6 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Do people still think Reid isn't good enough? Plays 70 minutes in a 6-0 win when Freeman was on the bench. Why people think he should be let go really does flabbergast me.

Was outstanding last week (didn't go today). Has a great chance of establishing himself now, with recent performances and him suiting LJ's style - as well as LJ clearly rating him. Can't emphasise enough on how important he was against Fulham.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Got to be honest - thought he was our least effective player today tho in fairness we were generally decent across the board

The big difference is with BR we move the ball around quicker, he gets his head up and looks for a pass. He will get stronger and may have more influence as he plays more but at the moment he keeps the ball moving. LF wants to hold the ball and run EVERY time he gets the ball, effectively slowing down the attacks. He (LF) would be more effective if he mixed it up but he seems almost incapable to release the ball quickly The same at times applies to Kodjia, one early cross yesterday brought a goal.  BR was part of a very good performance yesterday, we would have won had LF  had played but the game could have been different. A lot of our good work was from quick, short , passing and players movement which was also very good.

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bolton were not as bad as Charlton

FACT!

Agree,  Charlton were by far the worst team seen at Ashton gate this season and we should of hit them for six as well. The big difference between Boxing Day and yesterday was that we weren't reliant on JK to score against Bolton as we were against Charlton.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The big difference is with BR we move the ball around quicker, he gets his head up and looks for a pass. He will get stronger and may have more influence as he plays more but at the moment he keeps the ball moving. LF wants to hold the ball and run EVERY time he gets the ball, effectively slowing down the attacks. He (LF) would be more effective if he mixed it up but he seems almost incapable to release the ball quickly The same at times applies to Kodjia, one early cross yesterday brought a goal.  BR was part of a very good performance yesterday, we would have won had LF  had played but the game could have been different. A lot of our good work was from quick, short , passing and players movement which was also very good.

I did notice yesterday one quick ball over the top to JK from LF where he was just caught offiside. Clean through if he hadn`t been flagged.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I did notice yesterday one quick ball over the top to JK from LF where he was just caught offiside. Clean through if he hadn`t been flagged.

I would like to think that LJ has mentioned it to Freeman. It's the same with anything, do the same thing over and over and you quickly get sussed and it makes it easy for the opposition. He is clearly a good player, but can be one dimensional , if he played with his head up more it would add something to his game and the team. We have good outlets through the team and they need to be used.

12 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Don't get carried away, but it was a performance and a result that was required to stave off relegation, against a side that is really in L1 now. Having said that, three key performers are not our players, and Baker, Tomlin and Odemwinghie are the level we would need next season (all three would destroy our wage structure) so going forward is going to as hard as it ever was. Objective for LJ and all is just stay in this league, they are probably 3 to 4 points from that target. I would personally like to sign all three of those players, but bear in mind we will need 6 to 8 in the summer. 

Odemwinghe is 34 so I imagine we could accommodate him. Tomlin may well look for one last big contract at 28. What we have seen since Jan is there are good loans to be had. While we can strengthen the squad with signings like Goldborne and Matthews we can add in quality with loans. No reason why we can't find a few more gems next year 

27 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Odemwinghe is 34 so I imagine we could accommodate him. Tomlin may well look for one last big contract at 28. What we have seen since Jan is there are good loans to be had. While we can strengthen the squad with signings like Goldborne and Matthews we can add in quality with loans. No reason why we can't find a few more gems next year 

Isn't Matthews a loan? 

Matthews was a loan with a view to a permie deal.  Would be a no brainier for me, and would give us good competition with Ayling (also covering midfield option) and Little.  Yesterday showed that we need a squad.  The subtle rotation of players under LJ is working a treat.

Matthews, Baker, Tomlin, and now Odemwingie; all of these players are showing us the type of quality additions required to compete at this level.

I've no idea the likelihood of retaining these specific individuals next season, but I do hope our team tasked with identifying players are hard at work either making that a reality or finding similar replacements.

While SC was right in that several of the League One team have taken time to but have stepped up to this level (Flint, Smith, Bryan, Pack), and we've a few of players in who look at home here on permanent deals already (Kodjia, O'Donnell, Golbourne), the importance of 'ready-made' recruits for this level cannot be underestimated.

Am all for bringing through both youth and also the best prospects from the lower leagues (saw Alex Gilby scored again yesterday; at 21 and impressing I'd say he's they type of 'gamble' we should go for), but for every Vyner getting game time and developing, we also need a Matthews, who has the nous to keep us competitive in what is a ruthless league.

I'm not smart enough to know the finances at the club, and don't want us living beyond our means, but were we to start next year with the squad we have now all on permanent deals, minus the likes of Osborne, El Abd and maybe Wilbs and Pearce (personally I'd keep Waggy and Burns, if they'd stay), then I think we'd have an excellent baseline going forward.

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

LJ said that the Odemwingie deal took a while to complete, could be that this is because we were negotiating a deal for the summer as well? most loans, if just short term can be done overnight.

Would have imagined it would have been over the fee and % of wages we were going to pay for the duration of the loan period. I would hazard a guess that he would be on 30k - 40k per week at Stoke.

Archived