IGNORED

Keith Burt and Paul Groves

View from the Dolman

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

He may have been 'well connected' and 'experienced'...but imo, not with the right people. I'd say we were considerably stronger now, not weaker...as it opens up many options and no longer a closed shop.

I thought Keith Burt was well regarded in the world of scouting?

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

More redundancy money to pay out. Get new people in and get rid of them in 2 years, and so it goes on. If Ashton is going to take over everything as suggested. Be very worried folks.

You're not entitled to redundancy money until 2 years are you?  

If, and a big IF, we are to persevere with the ******* Academy let's just try investing in someone who has a proven track record.

It might cost a fortune to prise whoever from Soton, Crewe or the likes but FFS either go for it or just chuck it in as a bad job and write off the £10 million its cost us over the last 15 odd years. Fed up with us being a feeder Club for Bath City, Porthcawl and the likes, 

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

If, and a big IF, we are to persevere with the ******* Academy let's just try investing in someone who has a proven track record.

It might cost a fortune to prise whoever from Soton, Crewe or the likes but FFS either go for it or just chuck it in as a bad job and write off the £10 million its cost us over the last 15 odd years. Fed up with us being a feeder Club for Bath City, Porthcawl and the likes, 

We let Matt Hale slip through our fingers and can't imagine he could be prised away from Soton now but you never know.

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair enough Spud, you know more about that than most on here.

Are you saying that in your opinion Burt doesn't need to be replaced at all? If so, out of interest who is heading up our scouting operation?

Right at this moment...I have no idea whether KB will be replaced.

It will be interesting if the Club decide to release a statement as to why they have left...I have my own thoughts on that.

20 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I thought Keith Burt was well regarded in the world of scouting?

Maybe by some...Depends if you like your Head Scout to only work with some 'contacts'...or open to everyone, for the good of the club.

No doubt with years of experience, you will develop a contact list of people who you like to work with, and how you like to work.

For me, it's about being open to suggestions and open to everyone...not a closed shop.

This is a new dawn imo...out with the 'old school'...and in with the new. And a new way of operating and thinking.

The Bournemouth 'contact' and Eddie Howe is 'maybe' an indication of this ;-)

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is a new dawn imo...out with the 'old school'...and in with the new. And a new way of operating and thinking.

Unless there has been a change at the very top, which of course there hasn't, then the "old school' is still calling the shots. So whether things will change for the better, only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Unless there has been a change at the very top, which of course there hasn't, then the "old school' is still calling the shots. So whether things will change for the better, only time will tell.

Depends how you look at it FR.

You can still be 'old school' at the top...but if they employ pro active 'new school' at middle management, who are open minded, and bring new ideas to the table, then it proves to me, that the 'old school' at the top are more clever than people think....and maybe have learned from mistakes.

Like any business...you have to move with the times, otherwise you stagnate.

It's a clever owner who looks at his business and see's where it's failing.

It's a clever owner, who seeks advise from those in the game with better knowledge than yourself.

It's a clever owner who acts on that knowledge and acts in a positive manner.

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Just a minor point but... John Pelling was originally appointed as Academy Director of Operations when he first joined the Club.

Fair enough, add him to the constantly changing cast list then..

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Handed in their notice and joining SC at Bolton, could be another angle.

Brown will leave Southend at end of season and go to Bolton. 

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

Depends how you look at it FR.

You can still be 'old school' at the top...but if they employ pro active 'new school' at middle management, who are open minded, and bring new ideas to the table, then it proves to me, that the 'old school' at the top are more clever than people think....and maybe have learned from mistakes.

Like any business...you have to move with the times, otherwise you stagnate.

It's a clever owner who looks at his business and see's where it's failing.

It's a clever owner, who seeks advise from those in the game with better knowledge than yourself.

It's a clever owner who acts on that knowledge and acts in a positive manner.

Hope you're right, but there is only one constant in our never ending inability to build on success. And so far that appears to be not a particularly clever owner.

(Purely in football club progression terms of course)

However as you suggest perhaps he has finally put things in place to enable us to move in the right direction.

Fingerscrossed!

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Hope you're right, but there is only one constant in our never ending inability to build on success. And so far that appears to be not a particularly clever owner.

(Purely in football club progression terms of course)

However as you suggest perhaps he has finally put things in place to enable us to move in the right direction.

Fingerscrossed!

The biggest problem is back stabbing/empire building, GJ and SC got success very quickly and both adopted an attitude/ego that they could do no wrong and then bit by bit persuade the owner to divert from the original business plan, because let's be honest whilst their stock is high there will be no shortage of good job offers and it would take a very brave owner to have to explain why he sacked a manager after one of our most successful seasons ever.

The lesson for SL is IMHO is nip any dissension or departure from the script in the bud and if necessary explain your decision after, if he just sulks with an opposite view to his manager then the summer/season up to January is the probable outcome.

Also every coach at every level at our club has to be properly scrutinised and if they ain't up to it bin em and quickly, everybody needs to be pulling in the same direction, no back stabbing or empire building, one club end of.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

More redundancy money to pay out. Get new people in and get rid of them in 2 years, and so it goes on. If Ashton is going to take over everything as suggested. Be very worried folks.

You don't have to pay redundancy if they haven't had the job 2 years. Burt will get a payment but not groves

58 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

You don't have to pay redundancy if they haven't had the job 2 years. Burt will get a payment but not groves

You can't make people redundant if you are replacing them, so unless we are not going to have a DOF (possible) or an academy manager (extremely unlikely) then they have been sacked... Or the more expensive, but less risky, paid off..

5 hours ago, myol'man said:

Willie McStay? No he McWont!

Nothing at all to do with City or even football related, but seeing this reminded me that I read on the internet today that there has been an on line vote to choose the name of a new Royal Navy vessel.

Unfortunately ( for the powers that be) the name that is way out in the lead is Boaty MacBoatface.

Sometimes you just have to love the Great British Public.

Made me chuckle thinking of the Queen smashing a bottle of Moet on the bows and saying " I name this vessel Boaty........"

3 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

It's a job that's made redundant, not the person, so if Groves job still exists he's been sacked, not made redundant. Probably with a pay off

8 hours ago, RedM said:

The academy has a high churn over of people don't they :blink:

8 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

I think things will be butter under Mark Ashton

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Because KB is toast?

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I can't believe it's not butter

8 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

Will he spread the responsibility?

8 hours ago, Super said:

Ashton has really stuck the knife in.

......to some ....... Anchors? 

hope he doesnt end up spreading himself too thinly -he's going to need a slice of luck, not easy being upper crust while tending to grassroots...

17 hours ago, Super said:

Ashton has really stuck the knife in.

I heard he's been offered a job at Wheymouth with Alan Curdishley. They'll be the cream of the crop.....but it'll be a long time before they play in the Milk Cup. I hope I've clarified this.

55 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I heard he's been offered a job at Wheymouth with Alan Curdishley. They'll be the cream of the crop.....but it'll be a long time before they play in the Milk Cup. I hope I've clarified this.

Not entirely. What's your pint?

Archived