IGNORED

Keith Burt and Paul Groves

View from the Dolman

After last summers lack of transfer activity, I'm glad they haven't allowed him another summer to mess it up again!!

I'm only surprised he kept his position for so long!!

I notice that Cotts is one of the front runners with the bookies for the Bolton job, would these departures mean that they may have something else lined up?

Keith Burt obviously played a big part in our summer dealings of 13/14. Last summer, like SC, was guilty of being too ambitious in targets (or they both were too ambitious for this club) but at the end of the day, his job was to provide a list of targets not sign them.

Find it a bit disconcerting that a proven football scout has left and we will probably now have a corporate man in complete control of our transfers.

Groves was always an odd choice, going by what Bournemouth fans had to say. Just one of many in a long list of people to come and go in our disjointed academy.

It is clear with MA's appointment that there was no place for Burt, let alone his responsibility for the summer shambles.

As for Groves, remember when he was appointed the warning Bournemouth fans gave us that in their opinion he was hopeless.

Someone else came from Bournemouth at the same time with same warning.

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It is clear with MA's appointment that there was no place for Burt, let alone his responsibility for the summer shambles.

As for Groves, remember when he was appointed the warning Bournemouth fans gave us that in their opinion he was hopeless.

Someone else came from Bournemouth at the same time with same warning.

if we made appointments and or signings strictly on the the recommendations of football fans the only appointment in the last 15 years would have been Gary Johnson and the only player Aaron Wilbraham.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I assume that Mark Ashton will be the head of recruitment with a team of scouts, so the position of DOR has become defunct.

Ashton is head of everything at AG. Nothing happens without his approval. He's the main man at City.

He reports to the board and ultimately to SL.

Now that Burt has gone I wonder if Jon Lansdown is next........:whistle:

24 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

True but Groves record at Bournemouth speaks for itself.

Not all fans are wrong all the time.  After all many City fans were right in their criticisms of SC for most of this season

indeed they were right, but most were wrong about his initial appointment and first season and a half, where he saved us from Sodomy and then delivered for me and many others the best season in living memory and most were totally ignorant about their assessment of Aaron Wilbraham after he signed and even before seeing him play and if many fans of Oldham, Barnsley and especially BCFC had their way LJ would still be at Barnsley, thankfully football doesn't work like that.

I always take fans especially at clubs where a player or coach leaves for another job with a pinch of salt and to be fair with the domination of Southampton's academy which even had and still has a negative impact on our club multiply that by 10 to imagine how difficult it must have been is at Bournemouth academy.

The Chief Operating Officer has nothing to do with finding/scouting potential signings. He's an administrator, a pen pusher, not a scout. Ashton will be responsible for agreeing a transfer fee with a selling club, a         contract with the player, and getting all the paperwork done but NOT finding that player in the first place. 

Therefore, as of today, our ability to find new players is considerably weaker with the departure of such an experienced and well connected man as Burt. I hope there are plans to replace him in some way, if not       necessarily with a 'Director of Football'.

In my view, Burt has paid the price (along, eventually, with Cotterill) for defying the club's 5 Pillars strategy in pursuing deals for two players (Gray and Gayle) whose age and wages he and Cotterill knew to be outside the club's stated parameters. This caused a serious breakdown in relations amongst the club's management, a chaotic pre-season, and a car crash of a season with relegation a very real possibility.

Unsurprisingly the club want to avoid a repeat and so all the main players in this fiasco - Chief Exec, Manager, and now Director fo Football - are no longer at the club.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The Chief Operating Officer has nothing to do with finding/scouting potential signings. He's an administrator, a pen pusher, not a scout. Ashton will be responsible for agreeing a transfer fee with a selling club, a         contract with the player, and getting all the paperwork done but NOT finding that player in the first place. 

Therefore, as of today, our ability to find new players is considerably weaker with the departure of such an experienced and well connected man as Burt. I hope there are plans to replace him in some way, if not       necessarily with a 'Director of Football'.

In my view, Burt has paid the price (along, eventually, with Cotterill) for defying the club's 5 Pillars strategy in pursuing deals for two players (Gray and Gayle) whose age and wages he and Cotterill knew to be outside the club's stated parameters. This caused a serious breakdown in relations amongst the club's management, a chaotic pre-season, and a car crash of a season with relegation a very real possibility.

Unsurprisingly the club want to avoid a repeat and so all the main players in this fiasco - Chief Exec, Manager, and now Director fo Football - are no longer at the club.

He may have been 'well connected' and 'experienced'...but imo, not with the right people. I'd say we were considerably stronger now, not weaker...as it opens up many options and no longer a closed shop.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

He may have been 'well connected' and 'experienced'...but imo, not with the right people. I'd say we were considerably stronger now, not weaker...as it opens up many options and no longer a closed shop.

Fair enough Spud, you know more about that than most on here.

Are you saying that in your opinion Burt doesn't need to be replaced at all? If so, out of interest who is heading up our scouting operation?

58 minutes ago, !james said:

Who did Groves replace? Gareth Jennings? and before that John Pelling? and before that WIllie McStay?

Hope we get some continuity soon! 

You missed out Carlos Anton, Pelling was involved on the finance side, not the Academy but your general point is absolutely spot on.

I have no idea whether it will ever succeed or not, but if the Academy doesn't get some consistency of leadership soon it never will.

Seeing as LJ caught up with him the other week and he still lives locally I wonder if Alex Russell might be on his way back?

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

My understanding is that Ashton is who the head scout (whoever that currently is ) reports to. Whether that's via LJ or not I don't know.

I'm not sure if Burt actually went out to watch and scout for players but if he did then his loss will have left a gap. I can't imagine that will be the case with Ashton running the show.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You missed out Carlos Anton, Pelling was involved on the finance side, not the Academy but your general point is absolutely spot on.

I have no idea whether it will ever succeed or not, but if the Academy doesn't get some consistency of leadership soon it never will.

Seeing as LJ caught up with him the other week and he still lives locally I wonder if Alex Russell might be on his way back?

Just a minor point but... John Pelling was originally appointed as Academy Director of Operations when he first joined the Club.

Archived