IGNORED

New signings for next season. Who to go for ?

kiwicolin

40 minutes ago, hodge said:

Do people really expect Villa would sell us Baker? Given they'll be down in the championship his value will be huge. 

Who knows?, but at least make the enquiry and at least then hand on heart SL can say we tried but they wouldn't sell, where's the harm in that?, probably a long shot, but don't ask don't get.

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

On 30 October, Crowley's loan was terminated early as he was recalled by Arsenal.[11][12] After Crowley was recalled Barnsley manager Lee Johnson, himself an Arsenal academy graduate, expressed his disappointment at losing the player, claiming he is "the best 18-year-old I've ever seen".

Depends what article you want to believe but working in U21 player recruitment the below is nearer the mark.

-------
A bad week for Arsenal youngsters was compounded as League One strugglers Barnsley yesterday sent Dan Crowley back early from his loan spell at Oakwell.

Eighteen-year-old Crowley is considered one of the brightest young talents at Arsenal but has been returned to the Gunners after failing to make an impact in the third tier.

The England youth international had made 10 first-team appearances for the Tykes since joining on loan in the summer.

It was a move that was supposed to run until January, but the coaching staff at Oakwell have been unimpressed with the performances of the Coventry-born midfielder.

4 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Who knows?, but at least make the enquiry and at least then hand on heart SL can say we tried but they wouldn't sell, where's the harm in that?, probably a long shot, but don't ask don't get.

So club gets slammed in past for trying to sign unrealistic players and wasting their time, fans propose for this summer we attempt to sign an unrealistic player..... :grr:

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Do people really expect Villa would sell us Baker? Given they'll be down in the championship his value will be huge. 

It really depends on Villa and who stays. Okore and Clark could stay though I think Okore would go. Lescott and Richards probably gone. So that leaves a Clark and Baker pairing. Villa will be able to buy almost anyone they want though. Also, they have a decent academy and may want to bring a couple on. I think it would be silly to assume they will absolutely keep Baker. We have to at least try and secure him. 

He's proved himself to be able to perform to a good standard in the division in a struggling side. For the 'they can buy anyone they want' why would they pay money for a player in a position where they'd already have one? Baker in effect is like a new signing for them coming back. Dawson and Huddlestone stayed at Hull so don't be so sure about who'd be leaving, but at 24 Baker could be around for a while for them.

If we were to pursue Baker in the summer and it took a while and we ended up being unsuccessful, do you honestly think this forums reaction would be 'oh well we tried'?

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

So club gets slammed in past for trying to sign unrealistic players and wasting their time, fans propose for this summer we attempt to sign an unrealistic player..... :grr:

He's played here all season already. I can't see how it is unrealistic. There may be other suitors but he knows the team and management here. I'm also assuming Mark Ashton and Co can do two things at once and be working on serveral targets at once therefore not wasting time. I'd say you don't think of your team too fondly if you think we can't get a player that's been here for an entire season. Not saying it's likely to happen but he fits and and saying Villa is coming down so they won't sell is waving the white flag before the battle. 

People on here have said Tomlin is unrealistic so Baker...? Yes it would be great to have Baker here and if Villa were staying up I'd say we may have a chance, even if we could get him here I think we'd probably be looking north of £4/5m, can the club really afford fees that high? Everyone says Lansdown would cover it but he's trying to make us sustainable, £5m signings aren't sustainable.

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

People on here have said Tomlin is unrealistic so Baker...? Yes it would be great to have Baker here and if Villa were staying up I'd say we may have a chance, even if we could get him here I think we'd probably be looking north of £4/5m, can the club really afford fees that high? Everyone says Lansdown would cover it but he's trying to make us sustainable, £5m signings aren't sustainable.

Yes and this is a valid argument. Depends on what the club actually wants. They say different things. We struggled until January and while we can place a new coach and formation as a big reason why we are doing better, you also have to look at 5 new faces, many of whom will be on bigger wages than we can afford long term. Sustainability and competitiveness in this league do not go hand in hand. So do we want to be sustainable or challenge for premier league? We can't do both at the same time. We have to find a balance. Making signings like Baker and Tomlin would show intent and while expensive(not just transfer fees but wages)would be a good step to saying we want premiership football. Signings like this are essential for that goal but not for sustainability. Going the lower leagues and foreign route is very risky and makes sustainability easier but could easily end our premiership hopes. 

Reality is, we have to mix it up. We have to do both. Mix proven and more expensive players with younger and cheaper ones. Somewhere in there is the right mix to do both. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes and this is a valid argument. Depends on what the club actually wants. They say different things. We struggled until January and while we can place a new coach and formation as a big reason why we are doing better, you also have to look at 5 new faces, many of whom will be on bigger wages than we can afford long term. Sustainability and competitiveness in this league do not go hand in hand. So do we want to be sustainable or challenge for premier league? We can't do both at the same time. We have to find a balance. Making signings like Baker and Tomlin would show intent and while expensive(not just transfer fees but wages)would be a good step to saying we want premiership football. Signings like this are essential for that goal but not for sustainability. Going the lower leagues and foreign route is very risky and makes sustainability easier but could easily end our premiership hopes. 

Reality is, we have to mix it up. We have to do both. Mix proven and more expensive players with younger and cheaper ones. Somewhere in there is the right mix to do both. 

I posted before, Matthews, Tomlin and Odemwingie's larger wages could likely be offset by smaller fees to bring them in, Matthews and Tomlin their clubs likely want rid of them and Odemwingie is out of contract. No issues with these guys on higher wages, the problem will come for guys with a high value and high wages, yes we may have been willing to go all out for Gray but just look at how many the guy scores and I imagine Gayle would have scored a lot too.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

I posted before, Matthews, Tomlin and Odemwingie's larger wages could likely be offset by smaller fees to bring them in, Matthews and Tomlin their clubs likely want rid of them and Odemwingie is out of contract. No issues with these guys on higher wages, the problem will come for guys with a high value and high wages, yes we may have been willing to go all out for Gray but just look at how many the guy scores and I imagine Gayle would have scored a lot too.

Ok I get that. That would be ideal as well. Baker would be an investment for sure. Probably 3m+ and close to 20k a week. I like him and would have him for that but I don't pay the bills. I just don't think we should say no before the question is asked. 

If we are to spend though, it would maybe be easier to do it on a striker knowing the going rates for them. I don't think there is a similar player to Gray this year that we could go after. Kodjia probably fits that profile best so maybe we have the answer already. Nakhi Wells is also in that discussion though I think both are older than Gray already. Would we spend big on a striker again? We have Kodjia and seem to favour lone striker at the moment. 

Though I'd be quite satisfied if we could sign Tomlin, Matthews and Odemwingie. If we couldn't sign Baker, I'd look for a young ball playing defender in the lower leagues. I don't have any specific names though but should be options. For example I liked that Goldson from Shrewsbury that went to Brighton. Don't think he cost too much(1m range I believe)and is young and reliable. I believe we need true wing options. Not great that your quickest and best winger is 34(35 if he stays). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we still need to spend quite big I think to have any chance of competing. Tomlin and Matthews would cost 2-3m together. Another quality CB could be 1-2m. That's already 3-4m without a CM, winger and striker and their wages plus any pay rises our existing players may get. It means we can't sustain ourselves just yet. So I guess it depends on what is first on the list of objectives for this club. Sustainability or competing for premier league. 

What we have to bear in mind is that the emergency loan system, which saved us from relegation this season, isn't an option next time.

We have to get in players either permanent or season long loans in the summer to avoid the same struggle next season. SL can't rely on relatively low cost/risk short term loans next year. 

This may concentrate minds as they know that fallback option is no longer there. I am hopeful that this may force us into more early action this time rather than dithering and knowing there is always a plan b.

1 minute ago, yatesuperreds said:

France and Germany and Czech republic would be good places too scout around and Poland as well

Everywhere would be a good place to scout. We seem to be in Spain and France but I'd like us to be scouting in Switzerland and Belgium as well. Germany also. Some good footballers in Scandanavia as well. We need to be everywhere. It would certainly pay off eventually. 

43 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Everywhere would be a good place to scout. We seem to be in Spain and France but I'd like us to be scouting in Switzerland and Belgium as well. Germany also. Some good footballers in Scandanavia as well. We need to be everywhere. It would certainly pay off eventually. 

agree bargins can be found

3 hours ago, hodge said:

is that the same unrealistic as Luke Freeman before we signed him?, how do you know it's an unrealistic signing until we ask?, of course unless you can predict the future?.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

is that the same unrealistic as Luke Freeman before we signed him?, how do you know it's an unrealistic signing until we ask?, of course unless you can predict the future?.

Yes exactly. I get everyone wants to avoid disappointment like we had last summer but we should believe in the club a bit more. If we are bidding for them or they are playing for us already, they should be quite realistic. 

12 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Tomlin and Baker are crucial to us along with Korey and Flints signatures..

Pratley is an absolute donkey by the way and well past his best.

Not 100% convinced on Tomlin in my opinion, bit of a luxury. 

Pratley would be extremely good back up, he has been a standout performer for Bolton in an absolutely atrocious team. 

5 hours ago, hodge said:

How is trying to sign a player (Baker) from a championship club in the summer (Villa) unrealistic when we've got a billionaire owner?

Difficult to say really - I`m in favour of a mix & match approach I think. Try and sign Tomlin, Matthews, Odemwingie and possibly Baker on perms. Get a couple in from the lower leagues, the likes of Winnall, Mawson, Bradshaw, Gilbey, Ajose, Nelson or Hourihane. A couple of decent season long loans as well - Grimes from Swansea maybe or Conor Washington from QPR. Chuck in a cheeky punt for Patrick Bamford too if you like.

35 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Not 100% convinced on Tomlin in my opinion, bit of a luxury. 

Pratley would be extremely good back up, he has been a standout performer for Bolton in an absolutely atrocious team. 

Tomlin is anything but a luxury, has showed his class in most of his games for us.

Pratley isn't a standout performer, he was appalling against us and most Bolton fans don't want to see him in their starting line up ever again. Not sure where you got your info from!

Archived