IGNORED

New signings for next season. Who to go for ?

kiwicolin

19 hours ago, hodge said:

Sustainability, spending beyond the clubs means puts the club in trouble financially down the line. Or would you want us to try getting to the prem so spending big and risk going the way of Pompey, Bolton etc?

No of course I don't want us to end up like Pompey...

But I think there is a significant difference here.

SL was happy to announce during a radio interview back in the dark days under Del and SOD that five players were accounting for 80% of the total salary budget, and that obviously wasn't right or sustainable.

But, that was when we were signing average players who weren't improving us in any way, and they were playing in the dear, old Ashton Gate stadium on huge salaries when revenue from off pitch purchases was minimal.

Now we are talking about signing Premier League players who would improve Bristol City's squad significantly and they would be playing in a new stadium with very hefty off field earnings helping to bring in a lot of additional revenue.

Tomlin, Odemwingie, Matthews and Baker would improve our team, and if they are paid more than the others then I think that is fine.

The team that took us up into the Championship would have to understand that they themselves were league one players who have taken a step up, but the four (potential) new boys are premier league players who have taken a step down.

@billywedlock if the club worries about upsetting the other players when/if we sign better quality players and pay them what they are worth then we will never progress.

I totally understand all concerns about not ending up like Pompey, but we have a Bristolian owner, with the club's interests very much at heart. He showed some ambition last summer with a couple of huge bids for players. Some thought that was unrealistic but it certainly showed that he will spend huge amounts if he can.

Its quite simple, our owner can afford to buy premier league players, and he can afford to pay their salaries. And it's certainly a bit easier now because thousands of fans are spending money in the ground, before, during and after the games.

But, obviously, it ain't my money....but I just think SL may well take a few 'risks' in the nearish future, just a gut feeling...

I've seen Accrington 3 times this season including today and Sean Mcconville has impressed me everytime. Very direct, skilful and good cross.

Leyton orient number 15 Nigel Atangana impressed me today. A big strong holding midfielder who's had good reviews.

2 players who could well be very cheap and look good.

Anyone watch the Swindon-Wigan game tonight....what was Morsy like?

I think we need to get a balance of 

1. Signing the types we've had on loan like Baker, Tomlin etc.  Not necessarily them (I can but wish) but those types, whether they be permies or full season loans 

2. Some players with good Champ experience, maybe out of contract, or a year left where we might be able to attract them

3. Some players from L1/L2 with potential and  desire to improve (u24s), or moving the youngsters up into the first team set up.

I think we've seen the benefit of having a squad over the last few games (Wilbs and Kodjia rotated / dropped / rested), and I think we need that next season.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone watch the Swindon-Wigan game tonight....what was Morsy like?

I think we need to get a balance of 

1. Signing the types we've had on loan like Baker, Tomlin etc.  Not necessarily them (I can but wish) but those types, whether they be permies or full season loans 

2. Some players with good Champ experience, maybe out of contract, or a year left where we might be able to attract them

3. Some players from L1/L2 with potential and  desire to improve (u24s), or moving the youngsters up into the first team set up.

I think we've seen the benefit of having a squad over the last few games (Wilbs and Kodjia rotated / dropped / rested), and I think we need that next season.

Was impressed by Morsy, good passing %, awareness of the play and game around him was solid plus he scored a very good goal. Dominated the midfield with David Perkins alongside him.

21 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but they rejected 2.5m. I imagine they'd be looking at least double that if they were to sell. I could see Baker costing 2.5-3m. On 15k a week maybe. Is it doable? I'm not sure. I would love to keep him even at that price but we may be better off spending that on a goal scorer and taking a chance on a lower league CB with our current finances. 

If we can't do 3m and 15k a week then we won't do too well in this division.we need Championship players and these days...............

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

If we can't do 3m and 15k a week then we won't do too well in this division.we need Championship players and these days...............

Agree. It's why I said it needs to be a healthy mix. As a club we can lose 13m a year with owner investment. Something like 3m if the owner doesn't want to cover those extra losses. I'm sure SL can cover it however. That's the problem though. Too many people have been opening their mouth about goals for the club. We want sustainability or we want prem football or we want our academy to do better and reach the first team. All these can't happen at once, right away. I think it would be wise to invest in the playing squad this year and keep us competitive and in this league and maybe(MAYBE) push for promotion. Bring in Tomlin, Baker, Odemwingie and Matthews. Sure it costs a fair bit but we know what we have in them. Then add some lower league to mix in and on top of that bring an academy lad up every now and again during the year. 

We have to spend to stay competitive and wise spending can go a long ways in this league. We bought one last summer(that stayed) and he's been a bargain for price paid and goals returned. Time to add another 1 or 2 to that list. 3m(example) for Baker is OK to me because he is proven at this level. We know what we would be getting. Not as much of a risk and while his resale value may not go up too much, barring injuries, it shouldn't really go down as he's a 25 year old CB that should be approaching his prime. Have to mix it up for a few years to reach any of our goals. 

16 hours ago, Robbie_Turner said:

And to stop me saying FFS everytime he scores...yes, my real name is Matty Taylor !!!

Unlucky you, I took a mate once to the gate, never again mind, it was our cup game V the gas, I remember them calling the names out on the team sheet. When they named Michael Smith, he got up and started celebrating like we won the World Cup just cuz the player had the same name as him. I don't know why I'm telling you this, I'm still drunk

The suggestion that our key players could have their  contracts increased by £5 k a week while we remain in the Championship  to ensure retention just shows how insane and divorced from reality the salary structure in Football has been .

How many of our fans have had a £5,000 in the last year- I suggest almost none. £5k a week increase is £250,000 a year ! Some increase.

The average wage in Bristol is around £23,000 per year . I would suggest £1k increase every year for a 3 year contract is more attainable and sustainable. Still means an increase of £150,000 for a player over 3 years rather than the £750,000 the original suggestion represents.

Somebody needs to get some sanity back into footballers wages.

11 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

The suggestion that our key players could have their  contracts increased by £5 k a week while we remain in the Championship  to ensure retention just shows how insane and divorced from reality the salary structure in Football has been .

How many of our fans have had a £5,000 in the last year- I suggest almost none. £5k a week increase is £250,000 a year ! Some increase.

The average wage in Bristol is around £23,000 per year . I would suggest £1k increase every year for a 3 year contract is more attainable and sustainable. Still means an increase of £150,000 for a player over 3 years rather than the £750,000 the original suggestion represents.

Somebody needs to get some sanity back into footballers wages.

I wholeheartedly agree with the principle, but footballers wages aren't really dictated by individual clubs but by the market. If for example Korey Smith had a year left and we offered him a £1k a week pay rise, his agent would go "well I have player x and player y on my books and they earn more than that and play in the same position as my client so I can assure you that if he leaves your club I can increase his wages by £4K a week". It wouldn't be difficult for Mark Ashton to find out if what he'd said were true or not, which would leave too options. Stick to he offer and hope loyalty to the club overcomes money or increase the offer. The only way it would ever change is if there were a Championship-wide wage structure which is as unlikely as it is unworkable

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Personally I have no idea, but just wasted a few minuted looking at the past. He was on £60k at West Ham in 2010. When he moved to Fulham it was widely reported his Spurs contract was £80k a week. He has since been described as the highest paid player in the Championship. Who knows, but he is certainly earning a lot for this level. He captained England etc etc. 

According to a newspaper, he is on £20k per week at Fulham but still picking up a further tens of thousands from previous clubs - crazy

Archived