IGNORED

New signings for next season. Who to go for ?

kiwicolin

Looking at the football league paper,  I was reading about a young defender who plays for Millwall . Sounds like a good prospect . He's 20 years old called  Mahlon Romeo . 

I know City have looked at youngsters from Colchester but just wondering who else we can go for . 

Baker, Tomlin, Matthews and Odemwingie or any combination of those would be a good start. 1 or 2 from the lower leagues. Another European player like we did with Kodjia. Maybe another Garita type punt. Then cap it off with an established centre mid with championship experience or better. 

25 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Judge from brentford, nakhi wells, tomlin, baker or the young hull defender we were looking at last year.. and matthews on a perm?

So do you want to write the cheque for about £12-15m?

I think looking to keep Matthews (£1m half what Sunderland paid, may have to be more should they come down) and Tomlin (£1.5m, half the price Bournemouth got him for) should be a start for £2.5m. If we could get Odemwingie (ooc end of season) it would be good business, the higher wages he would command would be offset by the lack of a transfer fee. That would close enough give us the squad we have at the moment which we're not doing too badly with.

Need an extra central midfielder Shaun McDonald potentially, joined Bournemouth when they were in League 1 so not a player who only see themselves as premier league and may be open to moving down to get football, Tomlin already here may be able to put in a good word. Can't imagine he'd command a huge fee either as he moved there for £125,000, so maybe £500,000 to £750,000? So £3-3.25m. This would allow us to make one or two more higher profile signings, however suggested above Judge would likely command a £6m or higher fee and Wells, you're probably looking at £5m or higher at least, Gray was £6.25m rising to around £9m, Wells has scored a similar amount this season with the remaining games to increase that amount. 

For a striker I wouldn't be surprised to see us dip into the division below on the assumption JK will be with us next season, he'll be established as a championship striker by that point and if we get Odemwingie then 2. I think looking at one of Ajose, Armstrong, Winnall or Bradshaw would be a good idea, with potentially the idea of using Kieran Agard in a swap deal, unfortunately for Agard I don't think he'll cut it at Championship level, however he is a proven goalscorer in league 1, where if we don't use him in an exchange we could probably get a fee of £1m-£1.5m for him, we paid £750k or so apparently and his season with us last year established that even a change of club he could continue to score. 

CB is an issue, can Williams step up to fill Baker's shoes? Unlikely, with Villa seemingly doomed and using prooving he can be a good player at this level and a cheaper option then what they have don't expect to see Baker in a City shirt next season. Maguire? Seemingly a bench regular for a team who could be promoted to the premier league this season or if not then competing for promotion again next season, chances of him swapping that for an uncertain season? Unlikely I'd have thought. 

23 minutes ago, hodge said:

I think looking to keep Matthews (£1m half what Sunderland paid, may have to be more should they come down) and Tomlin (£1.5m, half the price Bournemouth got him for) should be a start for £2.5m. If we could get Odemwingie (ooc end of season) it would be good business, the higher wages he would command would be offset by the lack of a transfer fee. That would close enough give us the squad we have at the moment which we're not doing too badly with.

Need an extra central midfielder Shaun McDonald potentially, joined Bournemouth when they were in League 1 so not a player who only see themselves as premier league and may be open to moving down to get football, Tomlin already here may be able to put in a good word. Can't imagine he'd command a huge fee either as he moved there for £125,000, so maybe £500,000 to £750,000? So £3-3.25m. This would allow us to make one or two more higher profile signings, however suggested above Judge would likely command a £6m or higher fee and Wells, you're probably looking at £5m or higher at least, Gray was £6.25m rising to around £9m, Wells has scored a similar amount this season with the remaining games to increase that amount. 

For a striker I wouldn't be surprised to see us dip into the division below on the assumption JK will be with us next season, he'll be established as a championship striker by that point and if we get Odemwingie then 2. I think looking at one of Ajose, Armstrong, Winnall or Bradshaw would be a good idea, with potentially the idea of using Kieran Agard in a swap deal, unfortunately for Agard I don't think he'll cut it at Championship level, however he is a proven goalscorer in league 1, where if we don't use him in an exchange we could probably get a fee of £1m-£1.5m for him, we paid £750k or so apparently and his season with us last year established that even a change of club he could continue to score. 

CB is an issue, can Williams step up to fill Baker's shoes? Unlikely, with Villa seemingly doomed and using prooving he can be a good player at this level and a cheaper option then what they have don't expect to see Baker in a City shirt next season. Maguire? Seemingly a bench regular for a team who could be promoted to the premier league this season or if not then competing for promotion again next season, chances of him swapping that for an uncertain season? Unlikely I'd have thought. 

No, but im not a billionaire who said i want my club in the premier league, and who already made some 8 million pound striker bids a year earlier. We need quality and quantity to avoid another season like this, unfortunately.

For us to go into the last 8 games or so still looking over our shoulders with only 1 first team centre midfielder available is pathetic.

42 minutes ago, hodge said:

Well apparently our owner was prepared to write a cheque for 9 mil on one player, so why should 4 players for 12 mil be a problem?.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well apparently our owner was prepared to write a cheque for 9 mil on one player, so why should 4 players for 12 mil be a problem?.

Who also said recently that it was a mistake to do so and three signings at £500k would have made more sense.

I think we need to bring in a minimum of five players this summer and expect four of our current six loans (not Pearce or Gladwin) will probably all be under consideration.

Baffled as to why some think Wells would be interested in us and would expect LJ's managerial experience in League One to see us look for a signing or two there.

El-Abd, Little and Agard are all under contract for next season too, moving one, two or all of them on may determine how many players we sign, though this isn't Football Manager, they don't have to go if they don't want to..

Matthews, Baker, Tomlin, Odemwingie all perm would be great.

Young CB from a Prem club on loan, Gilbery from Colchester, right attacking midfielder who can play up top (basically a young Odemwingie) and a ST. 

That would do me nicely.

rumour is Gotze wants to leave Munich...

Seriously though a team like this;

O'Donnell, Bryan, Flint, Maguire, Matthews, Pack, Smith, Left Winger/Freeman, Roofe/Dack/Tomlin, Right Winger, Kodjia

Johnson sees Bryan as a LB long term, so he moves to LB with Goldbourne good cover. Leaves us needing a Left and Right Wing, Freeman can fill in the left so that leaves us with the right. A New CB is a must, no way will Baker stay. Likewise either the three CAM options would be ideal, whoever is cheapest, right fit blah blah. Possibly could do with additional cover in the defensive mdifield role but Bryan can slot in there. So after that ramble we need a CB, RW, CAM. Could do with a LW and CDM for the squad 

Get Baker in, pay whatever it takes, he clearly loves it here. 

Wouldn't mind Pratley when Bolton go down, short term deal aslong as wages are small. 

Kasim from Swindon 

Go and raid Barnsley, 

Alfie Mawson - Centre Half who will be worth 5/10 million in the next 3/5 years IMO

Sam Winnall - Striker, look no further for a goalscorer 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Roofe has got plenty of talent...I'm not sure about his attitude though mate.

Ahhh interesting Spud - didn't realise that

I would guess that would mean he would fall short in our required criteria

Dont disagree with that - I've said for years that IMO doing your background on a players attitude , lifestyle etc is as important as watching him play

One bad apple and all that ;)

5 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Get Baker in, pay whatever it takes, he clearly loves it here. 

Wouldn't mind Pratley when Bolton go down, short term deal aslong as wages are small. 

Kasim from Swindon 

Go and raid Barnsley, 

Alfie Mawson - Centre Half who will be worth 5/10 million in the next 3/5 years IMO

Sam Winnall - Striker, look no further for a goalscorer 

Tomlin and Baker are crucial to us along with Korey and Flints signatures..

Pratley is an absolute donkey by the way and well past his best.

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Who also said recently that it was a mistake to do so and three signings at £500k would have made more sense.

I think we need to bring in a minimum of five players this summer and expect four of our current six loans (not Pearce or Gladwin) will probably all be under consideration.

Baffled as to why some think Wells would be interested in us and would expect LJ's managerial experience in League One to see us look for a signing or two there.

El-Abd, Little and Agard are all under contract for next season too, moving one, two or all of them on may determine how many players we sign, though this isn't Football Manager, they don't have to go if they don't want to..

The same man who in January offered 2 mil for Bradley Dack?, that's 4 x 500k players, i'm sure you can see why people might get confused at the 'mixed messages'.

As I have mentioned in an older thread, our business should be as follows...

priority - extend koreys contract and other key players coming to an end that have good value.

sign if possible, baker, Tomlin, Matthews and odemwingie on permanent deals.

possible permanents - Maguire, Gilbey, roofe, Armstrong, Dack, Bradshaw, Mawson.

possible loans - Aarons, inheacho.

move on - el abd, wagstaff, Williams, wilbraham

send on loan - morrell, dowling, o'leary, vyner, burns.

24 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

As I have mentioned in an older thread, our business should be as follows...

priority - extend koreys contract and other key players coming to an end that have good value.

sign if possible, baker, Tomlin, Matthews and odemwingie on permanent deals.

possible permanents - Maguire, Gilbey, roofe, Armstrong, Dack, Bradshaw, Mawson.

possible loans - Aarons, inheacho.

move on - el abd, wagstaff, Williams, wilbraham

send on loan - morrell, dowling, o'leary, vyner, burns.

I'd personally keep Waggy and Williams. Williams is young and can cover CB and LB, Waggy is a great squad player and has shown he can make an effect coming on.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I see lansdown getting one big name in to attract more season ticket holders. Peter crouch maybe? Also hopefully Johnson will be interested in Dan Crowley on loan from arsenal. He had him at Barnsley and said he is the best young player he has ever seen. Looks amazing, get him in here for the season.

Barnsley cut short his loan spell after he failed to make an impact.

15 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Barnsley cut short his loan spell after he failed to make an impact.

On 30 October, Crowley's loan was terminated early as he was recalled by Arsenal.[11][12] After Crowley was recalled Barnsley manager Lee Johnson, himself an Arsenal academy graduate, expressed his disappointment at losing the player, claiming he is "the best 18-year-old I've ever seen".

Archived