IGNORED

Worst city 11

Some of the names mentioned on this thread are enough to make me shudder.

I forgive Big Bas Savage for being terrible, though, because that "sniper" moment against Yeovil is the funniest thing I have ever seen at a football match and still makes me smile when I think of it. Plus he pissed off an opposing manager (Mark Robins?) by getting a goal - the manager said something about how he couldn't believe his side had allowed someone of Bas' quality to score.

5 minutes ago, Offside said:

I forgive Big Bas Savage for being terrible, though, because that "sniper" moment against Yeovil is the funniest thing I have ever seen at a football match and still makes me smile when I think of it. Plus he pissed off an opposing manager (Mark Robins?) by getting a goal - the manager said something about how he couldn't believe his side had allowed someone of Bas' quality to score.

Don't think it was Robins, I can't remember who he did score his only goal for us against, but what I do recall is that a free kick was launched into the box and the ball basically hit him in the face and went in, whereupon Bas had the nerve to "moonwalk" in celebration.

Hard not to love someone who celebrated such a shite goal that way...

26 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

In seven decades of supporting City I confidently say I have never seen a worse goalie than David James

For a ex international some of the keeping I witnessed by him at city was attrocious. In my 40 years I would also have him up their as our worst regular goalie. (I am not including bit part or sub goalies here)

The number of times I saw him push shots back into the box rather than our wide of our for a corner was staggering. Awful goal keeper for us imo. Not that interested how he performed elsewhere

10 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

Bas Savage...

Been told by a player for City that when "Bad" turned up for training and showed off his skills the players thought he was from the (then) hit TV show on C4 "Faking It"

A few looked around to see if there was a cameraman lurking filming it too. 

He was a new level of shite.

I took my American friend to his first ever football match at the gate and even he laughed at Bas Savage doing step overs!  Never heard a crowd laugh at a player before or since!

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

David james in goal. Ive been going since the mid 80s. Forget what he did before he arrived at city, some of his goal keeping was a joke. Was it at home to watford where he came out to the penaly spot to punch a cross away and punched it into our net.

Fonts might be in there for some of his later displays although maybe not as he was actually decent to begin with.

Richard foster and mark wilson were appaling also.

Well I've been watching since the 1960s, and for me he is the most technically accomplished keeper I've seen play for City. Not my "best" - that would be Mike Gibson for his sheer consistency in a City shirt, and above all Basso for his inspiration. And James had neither of those. But his technical ability was second to none: his positioning, his reading of the game, his calculated risk taking (which, as throughout his career, 9 times out of 10 came off but one time left him looking like an idiot!), were all top class. 

All of which goes to demonstrate just how different two fans views of the same game/player can be. All I'm saying, in support of my view about James ability as a goalkeeper, is that it's a view shared by many in the game who have far more knowledge and experience of the game that I do, and (with the greatest respect!) I suspect you do.

You say 'forget what he did before he arrived', but don't forget that when he joined City he was the current England goalkeeper. It wasn't years before: for a period of time the England keeper was "David James (Bristol City)". He played behind one of the most inept defences I've seen since the '60s, and in a side that was totally devoid of either direction or confidence following the Coppell fiasco.

And yes, he cocked up big time v Watford, but this thread isn't about the worst single display, otherwise as you have said yourself, Fontaine would probably be in it, and he was a stalwart of our promotion side, definitely not in the 'worst City team' by anyone's reckoning. If we were basing it on individual games then the manager would probably be Steve Coppell (Fulham h and Derby a to name but two examples this season), one of our most successful managers of the past half century!

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

He's saved for me because of the Liverpool win, and also I did work experience at City when Osman was boss and a female reporter arrived to interview him and I got told to go and tell him she was here to see him and he asked me "is she fit?"

Fair point: certainly not something I imagine Benny would have said, and Pulis would have asked how much she was going to pay him!

I'd go for Pulis as a close second: Benny I actually thought was a decent coach, brought here under false pretences to do an almost impossible task. He had a lot of good ideas, and identified many of the underlying problems that were to continue to dog the club for years after he left, shame he wasn't given the support to sort them out. He was the Board's whipping boy, pure and simple, but a very good coach - again, as he demonstrated elsewhere throughout his career.

54 minutes ago, Offside said:

It was me, I shot him :laugh:

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

David james in goal. Ive been going since the mid 80s. Forget what he did before he arrived at city, some of his goal keeping was a joke. Was it at home to watford where he came out to the penaly spot to punch a cross away and punched it into our net.

Someone put it on youtube..  Not sure if he played after that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyN32EblIs

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We have in the Dolman concourse, the Bristol Sport All Time Greats.

Where can we have a City Rogues Gallery? From the posts above, there are enough candidates, sorry dead certs, to fill a large space.

Still time to build a urinal trench the length of the new stand and line it pictures of these excuses for footballers.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Still time to build a urinal trench the length of the new stand and line it pictures of these excuses for footballers.

Or the club could sell pint pots with crap players pictures at the bottom.

They were trialling the idea at Cheltenham.

6 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Would think Forbes Phillipson-Masters would at least be on the bench??.....and Mike Hooper in goal,please.

Are you kidding? All three of them scored in one game, according to the News of the World :o

People love to stick it to David James don't they? Yeah he made a few errors but overall his goalkeeping was solid. Bare in mind he had Nicky Hunt, Damien Stewart,  and Andy Webster in front of him.

If you want a worse goalkeeper look at the likes of Hamer and Elliot Parish, even Chris Weale.

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

People love to stick it to David James don't they? Yeah he made a few errors but overall his goalkeeping was solid. Bare in mind he had Nicky Hunt, Damien Stewart,  and Andy Webster in front of him.

If you want a worse goalkeeper look at the likes of Hamer and Elliot Parish..

True that. 

And you have Flapper who had Carey, Hill, Coles and Bell, they made him look good. 

so many players bought in under the osman reign: pennyfather, baird, robinson, mitchell, etc. I remember a match away at brentford when we got smashed 5-1 and everyone turning on brian mitchell: 'mitchell, **** off home, mitchell, mitchell **** off home.' it felt like the whole end was singing at him. never seen a player get roasted by his own like that. he was appalling. 

As for the manager, yeah, that'd be Osman. To ship out Jacki was criminal and angers me to this day! But to then replace quality like that with his over-the-hill mates was unforgiveable. I'm firmly of the opinion he set us back years and one result at liverpool doesn't excuse him. 

31 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

David Partridge, Jody Morris, Ricky Foster, Darren Jones, Hutchings

Darren Jones played (use the term loosely) as a CB away at Blackpool under Wilson. 5-0 down at half time pushing for a playoff spot. He had a shocker. 

Darren jones never even played that game.......your posts a shocker

31 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

David Partridge, Jody Morris, Ricky Foster, Darren Jones, Hutchings

Darren Jones played (use the term loosely) as a CB away at Blackpool under Wilson. 5-0 down at half time pushing for a playoff spot. He had a shocker. 

Marvin Harriot, Damien Stewart, Michael Bridges and Tony Fitzpatrick seemed to have been over looked on the thread so far

Archived