IGNORED

Worst city 11

14 hours ago, Malago said:

Peter Styvar

Pete Johnson must get a mention in Dispatches as not only being the worst scout in the history of Bristol City, but also possibly the worst in the history of Association Football.

Harsh comment about Pete Johnson, didn't City avoid relegation, get promoted and nearly reach the Premier League while he was at the Club.

4 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

Matthew Briggs, Matthew Bates, Stephen McManus, Mark Wilson, Richard Foster, Jody Morris; all in one season...

Oh Pllleeeeaaase don't get me started on how in hell so much garbage could have ended up at our club in such a short period! I wonder what SL thinks, he paid for it!

19 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Worst manager ever was Peter Doherty, but that's a very long time ago :o 

Another of our International managers who was not up to the job?

Management career

He made his final move to Doncaster in 1949, where he assumed the role of player-manager. He later became manager of Northern Ireland (1951–1962), for whom he had 16 caps as a player. He led the country to the 1958 World Cup, reaching the quarter-finals.[10] He also managed Bristol City. 1958 - 1960

His coaching techniques were revolutionary at the time. He emphasised ball practice and instead of endless laps of the pitch, Doherty suggested volley-ball, "to promote jumping, timing and judgement"; basket-ball, "to encourage split-second decision-making and finding space"; and walking football, "to build up calf muscles".[12]

Later life saw him become a scout for Liverpool, helping to unearth such talents as Kevin Keegan.[12]

1 Mike Hooper ( couldn't catch a cold)

2 Brian "mad dog" Mitchell ( awful)

3 Alan Hay ( slow)

4 Gus Ceasar (dreadful)

5 Julian Marshall ( came from Hereford - enough said)

6 Julian "40" Watts (dim)

7 Tony Fitzpatrick (flattered to deceive )

8 Dave Martin (always 10 seconds behind with a challenge)

9 Ian Bird ( oh dear)

10 Glen Pennyfather (what DID he do?)

11 Andy Whatsisname from Northern Ireland during GJ's time (out of his depth)

5 hours ago, Swede said:

3 Alan Hay ( slow)

4 Gus Ceasar (dreadful)

9 Ian Bird ( oh dear)

dave martin!!!!! there was me thinking i had named and shamed all the osman-era wasters. I'd love to have known what they were earning - it's obviously not a patch on modern football, but when i remember has utterly crap these people were what the hell were they doing!?! I do remember pennyfather though scoring from otuside the box- i think a defender went to the clear the ball and boucned off pennfather's shin and shot into the bottom corner - watford at home or something!?!?! 

Ian Baird - stories. need to sort out my fridge and will get back on that though!!! 

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 22:39, That Louie Donowa goal said:

Sorry a bit bored with no football so got talking to a mate on the worst 11 players that have played for us. I have been watching from 1987 so some players young fans may not have heard of, I did struggle keeper wise as had some decent keepers.

I have gone for

1. Mike Stowell - no reason needed to pick someone.

2. Brian Mitchell 

3. Gus Ceaser

4. Dave thompson

5. Shaun Dyche

6. Tony Dinning

7. Herpal Singh - on loan from Leeds 

8. Carl Hutchings

9. Iain Baird

10. Steve Jones

11. Bas Savage

Was dyche really that bad.can't really remember him playing. but remember the passion he had...

I'm not having Dave Martin put down as crap. The bloke was awesome. For years and years the midfield missed a nasty streak.... I don't think it gets nastier than Dave Martin. He was not a footballer by any stretch of the imagination... But he was a nasty hard barsteward in the centre of the park.

I loved him. Dirty, aggressive off the ball hatchet man.  Give em hell Dave

4 hours ago, TRL said:

I'm not having Dave Martin put down as crap. The bloke was awesome. For years and years the midfield missed a nasty streak.... I don't think it gets nastier than Dave Martin. He was not a footballer by any stretch of the imagination... But he was a nasty hard barsteward in the centre of the park.

totally agree there trl some on ere aint got a Scooby........cant believe no ones said gary Emmanuel yet too....

On 24 March 2016 at 23:38, yardy said:

Kilkenny would get in my worst city 11, probably not the worst technically but couldn't stand him wearing the city shirt.....no effort, too much moaning, too much pointing, sideways passing and generally one of the most frustrating players to wear our colours!

Doing his best impression of a drowning man

I'm going to be very biased as a young City supporter but here goes...

GK: Parish. I could say James, but the guy still had some form of control over his box. Parish was a fly on the crossbar. Not to say he didn't try, but I can't help but think it was always painfully obvious that Fielding was the better keeper despite his howler in the opener against Bradford. Yet Elliot kept getting called out to get trounced.
DR: Foster. Quickly got fed up with people telling me about his FIFA card. Brainless, looked like a bloke who'd won a competition to play a game of Championship football
DC: McGivern: Thought he would be decent as he was from Man City, how wrong I was. Returned to remind us of his awfulness when we played Port Vale and he finally contributed to City in a positive way. Delightful howler.
DC: Nicky Hunt: Need I say more? I don't have to describe his performances as they're scarred into all of our minds
DL: Nicky Shorey. Declined very quickly, couldn't play the whole game and got shipped to Portsmouth. Poor Cunningham- must be demoralising to watch THAT play ahead of you. I remember when we signed him the BBC Sport image was him playing for England B against Andorra years ago- I'm sorry but how is that impressive?
RM:Campbell-Ryce. God I would be sad when Albert would get crocked and we'd need to put this brainless runner in. 
CM: Kilkenny. Epitomised everything that was wrong with our club and transfer policy at the time. High wages, had an attitude, and to this day I do not know what his actual role was? He'd pull out of tackles as if ankle contact could impregnate, so not a ball winner. Only seemed to adopt a passing style now known as the 'Crustacean'- small sideways passes with no endgame- this means he wasn't a playmaker. He shouted a lot but had a crippling allergy to the opponent's box, so not a box to box midfielder either. 
CM: Morris. Derek's mate, was probably paid in champagne and instagram followers. One of the many disastrous 'Scottish Invasion' signings
LM: Pearson. Bundled the ball into the net once while he was on loan and was for some reason signed. Because what else could motivate the fans more than a man who takes pride of place in the worst Premier League team of all time? He turned as if he was constantly knee-deep in molasses.
FC: Harewood. A failed attempt at what would become Wilbraham's target man role. Did he ever do anything of significance? Not even the best Marlon we signed on that day!
FC: Bas Savage. Couldn't hit a paedo with a broomstick.

7 hours ago, TRL said:

Totally agree, but remember him transforming into a footballer in the Liverpool win. At one point there was a great triangle move involving him, Tinnion and Rob Edwards. 

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Thought it was harsh putting Dave in. A real street fighter and big lump in all. Had to watch Dave just after the ball had gone!!

15 minutes ago, pjg11 said:
On 22 February 2016 at 21:40, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Scott mcgarvey wasn't good .Shaun McCarthy scored hatfulls of goals for Newport .got badly hurt was never the same player so we signed him

Sean McCarthy never played for Newport, his goal against Preston sent us up I believe and his dad died the morning of the game.

in the same season we had another striker on loan, his horrid attitude alone to this club was enough to be in this team, I give you Jason Roberts

On 24 March 2016 at 22:39, That Louie Donowa goal said:

Sorry a bit bored with no football so got talking to a mate on the worst 11 players that have played for us. I have been watching from 1987 so some players young fans may not have heard of, I did struggle keeper wise as had some decent keepers.

I have gone for

1. Mike Stowell - no reason needed to pick someone.

2. Brian Mitchell 

3. Gus Ceaser

4. Dave thompson

5. Shaun Dyche

6. Tony Dinning

7. Herpal Singh - on loan from Leeds 

8. Carl Hutchings

9. Iain Baird

10. Steve Jones

11. Bas Savage

They're all booked for up-coming Half Time draws

12 hours ago, pjg11 said:
On 22 February 2016 at 21:40, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Scott mcgarvey wasn't good .Shaun McCarthy scored hatfulls of goals for Newport .got badly hurt was never the same player so we signed him

How did you manage that?

I never made that quote and the thread started last week but my quote is allegedly 22nd Feb.

16 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Sean McCarthy never played for Newport, his goal against Preston sent us up I believe and his dad died the morning of the game.

in the same season we had another striker on loan, his horrid attitude alone to this club was enough to be in this team, I give you Jason Roberts

Sorry Swansea Bradford and Plymouth .1 in 7 for us

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Brian Williams, Martin Kuhl, late era Liam Fontaine, Junior Bent, Mark Wilson, Lee Matthews - join the hall of shame. 

Fontaine wouldn't be in our worst ever XI! If he had played for the whole time as he didn't for the last 2 years ten maybe but the rest of the time he was our best centre back and highly thought of.

Matthews wasn't bad either. Scored a winner against Millwall on his debut and a couple against the gas. The worst of the 'Lee Amigos' but not worst ever!

Some bizarre suggestions here. People have an odd idea of what constitutes a bad player.

Personally I'd nominate Mark Summerbell, Kelly Youga, Dave Partridge and Grant Smith for consideration.

Actually, thinking about it, all bar 2 of Brian Tinnion's "magnificent seven" summer signings of 2005 were pretty dreadful: Matt Heywood, Dave Partridge, Grant Smith, Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, Alex Russell, Richard Keogh. That's half of a "Worst City XI" right there.

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

Fontaine wouldn't be in our worst ever XI! If he had played for the whole time as he didn't for the last 2 years ten maybe but the rest of the time he was our best centre back and highly thought of.

Matthews wasn't bad either. Scored a winner against Millwall on his debut and a couple against the gas. The worst of the 'Lee Amigos' but not worst ever!

We all liked that Lee Amigos game, but he didn't really do that much in his time with us. 

I did qualify Fonts by saying "late era": He was pretty dreadful for his last 3 years for us. Almost like a different player from the guy prior to 2010.

But I wasn't arguing that the players I listed were "the worst ever" - Junior would not make that list either, despite his flaws. 

They were just additional names to the poor/underperforming list compiled already. The very worst have already been listed.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 18:45, Swede said:

3 Dicky Dryden( terrible)

4 Gus Ceasar (dreadful)

9 Ian Bird ( oh dear)

Ahh, I stand corrected; I completely for got about "Dynamo Dresden". Early substitution [for being too good] take off Alan Hay & bring on Dicky Dryden!

urghhh!

Archived