IGNORED

Pep Guardiola

HoldenBall

Having a friendly debate with a mate about Pep Guardiola's worth as a manager. He thinks he's completely overrated, whilst I think he's one of, if not the best manager in recent history.

He made the point that every single club he's managed, the best players in the world were given to him, even citing that the likes of Ian Dowie  could work wih the players he's had and win copious amount of trophies.

Whilst my point was Guardiola pretty much created a modern blueprint in whole football should be played, creating the tiki tika tactic. He was the figurehead of arguably the best club side ever in Barcelona 2009-2011.

What do people think? Overrated or a genius?

Frank Rijkaard laid the foundations for Barcelona's 2009-11 success. Not taking anything away from Guardiola's trophy haul during that time but I'm not sure he can be credited with building that side. 

As for Bayern...I thought they were at their best during Heynckes' final season. Not sure they've got any better on Guardiola's watch. Clearly still a great team though, and Guardiola might yet deliver the Champions League this season. 

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Frank Rijkaard laid the foundations for Barcelona's 2009-11 success. Not taking anything away from Guardiola's trophy haul during that time but I'm not sure he can be credited with building that side. 

As for Bayern...I thought they were at their best during Heynckes' final season. Not sure they've got any better on Guardiola's watch. Clearly still a great team though, and Guardiola might yet deliver the Champions League this season. 

Guardiola dismantled a lot of Rikjaards side, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Deco. Bought in youngsters like Busquets and Pedro. You can even argue Messi went from beinga very good player under Rijkaard to world class under Guardiola.

3 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Guardiola dismantled a lot of Rikjaards side, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Deco. Bought in youngsters like Busquets and Pedro. You can even argue Messi went from beinga very good player under Rijkaard to world class under Guardiola.

Fair comments and perhaps I do him a disservice - although I'd argue that Messi was world class before Guardiola came along. 

Also, many of the spine of the great Barcelona team (Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta) really came to prominence under Rijkaard. 

Not taking anything away from Guradiola as I say....winning 2 Champions Leagues in 3 seasons is no mean feat. 

I would say the jury is 'reasonably' out. He may be a great, he may have been very fortunate to be handed 2 very big jobs at dominant teams in their own country.

I think it too soon to call it definitively either way; not least considering Barca fans love him and Bayern fans are at best indifferent. 

Perhaps if he went to some of England's eternal under-achievers, we might see how good he really is,

Villa in the Prem, City in the Championship, Sheffield United in League One and Plymouth Argyle in League Two.

All clubs with good fan bases, decent stadia, large cities with potential for big crowds.

I reckon he'd be running home to Mummy, crying his eyes out within twelve months. 

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Personally I find his style of play quite boring and tedious, his major flaw is his stubbornness in regards to his system. The 4-0 home loss to Real Madrid summed it up for me.

Agree. Tiki-taki is a most dull form of football. Particularly the crap impersonation you see at Arsenal too. 

700 passes does not mean you've had a good game!! It begs the question are you good enough in possession. Keeping it is one thing, using it well quite another. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

The Man City job will settle the debate for you!!

Yup.

Unlike his prior jobs, he'll need to basically revamp everything - he'll have the resources, but it is certainly the most difficult task he has had.

I think Man City will make the Champions League (though not win it), which will make his task of getting the best players in the world to come easier.

But part of me wants them to only make the Europa to see if he can develop the team without a place at the top table on offer - it would help answer the questions about whether he's a top coach.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It was Johan Cruyff who started off the modern day Barcelona by setting the blue print with their Academy

True, most of Guardiola's ideas and footballing philosophy are just a slightly tweaked version of Cryuffs, he's admitted this himself.It's fair to say without Cryuff Barcelona would not be the world dominating power they are today.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Personally I find his style of play quite boring and tedious, his major flaw is his stubbornness in regards to his system. The 4-0 home loss to Real Madrid summed it up for me.

Tiki Taka is great when it's fast paced, when it's slow and boring it becomes tedious.

Btw when did Barcelona lose to Madrid 4-0 at the Nou Camp under Guardiola?

28 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

True, most of Guardiola's ideas and footballing philosophy are just a slightly tweaked version of Cryuffs, he's admitted this himself.It's fair to say without Cryuff Barcelona would not be the world dominating power they are today.

It was Cruyff who found Pep playing in the youth team, even though he was regarded as the best technical player.

When asked why he was playing in the youth team, the coach's replied the team would lose because he was so small....

Cruyff saw ability in all shapes and sizes...he changed football for the better imo.

3 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Having a friendly debate with a mate about Pep Guardiola's worth as a manager. He thinks he's completely overrated, whilst I think he's one of, if not the best manager in recent history.

He made the point that every single club he's managed, the best players in the world were given to him, even citing that the likes of Ian Dowie  could work wih the players he's had and win copious amount of trophies.

Whilst my point was Guardiola pretty much created a modern blueprint in whole football should be played, creating the tiki tika tactic. He was the figurehead of arguably the best club side ever in Barcelona 2009-2011.

What do people think? Overrated or a genius?

Your mate needs his head reading...

Stats as a manager... only lost 44 games from 435...that is a genius at work. 73% win rate

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was Cruyff who found Pep playing in the youth team, even though he was regarded as the best technical player.

When asked why he was playing in the youth team, the coach's replied the team would lose because he was so small....

Cruyff saw ability in all shapes and sizes...he changed football for the better imo.

Completely agree, I don't think it's an OTT statement saying that Cryuff is the most influential figures in football history, changed the thought process in how the game should be played, on the pitch and as a coach. Every bit of Cryuffs work has been used and implemented by other managers to great success.

Ajax won the Champions league in 1995 using the formation Cryuff predominantly used at Barcelona, Cryuff believed that Goalkeepers should be utilised as another player on the pitch, look what Guardiola's done to Nueur.  One of the first things Pep did as Bayern coach was put Lahm in the DM role, a role Pep played under Cryuff, Loachim Loew played Lahm as a DM in the world cup.

Gaurdiola was hugely influenced as a player by the late and great Johan Cruyff when a Barca player under him. The Dutch "total football" style was introduced by Cruyff at Barca and developed into the Tika-taka that has become a Barca trademark.

Pep took Cruyffs blueprint and enhanced it.

So...genius or just a bright guy?  :dunno:

Just a bright guy in my view.

Guardiola is brilliant at the type of jobs he takes.  Yes, he's had tools and resources at his disposal but plenty of managers struggle at top clubs with similar resources available and the likes of Benitez at Real, Scolari and Villas Boas at Chelsea, Moyes and LVG at Man Utd and Martino at Barcelona have all shown that it's not as simple as having the best players, sending them onto the pitch and winning things.   Guardiola has consistently got excellent teams playing at their full potential and, in that sense, he isn't over-rated at all.

At the same time, I do think football managers have different skill sets and, whilst we tend to laud the managers who are brilliant at winning trophies at top clubs, I don't necessarily think they're the best managers for all situations.  Guardiola sets teams up to maximise their technical superiority over their opponents and I don't necessarily think Guardiola would excel at a lower league club or in a division where other teams are stronger than the one he's managing.  (in contrast Moyes, who excels at setting teams up to minimise the difference in technical ability between his team and their opponents, found that a strength at Preston and Everton but a major weakness at Man Utd where that basically gave opponents a better chance of a win.)

I think Guardiola'll do well at Man City because he can get the best players in and I think he's a brilliant manager who'll really add something to the Premier League next season but, whilst a great manager, he's also definitely someone who chooses the clubs that suit his abilities. 

Archived