IGNORED

Pep Guardiola

HoldenBall

I think the job he's done at Bayern sums up that he's more hype than class. My opinion obviously. 

I follow German football pretty closely and he will widely be regarded as a failure when he leaves Munich. He was tasked with winning the Champions League with the Bundesliga and League Cups almost a 'given', yet hasn't. Has also has a pretty slender lead at the top of the league against Dortmund that they haven't had for a while. 

Personally think he will flatter to deceive at Man City. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I think the job he's done at Bayern sums up that he's more hype than class. My opinion obviously. 

I follow German football pretty closely and he will widely be regarded as a failure when he leaves Munich. He was tasked with winning the Champions League with the Bundesliga and League Cups almost a 'given', yet hasn't. Has also has a pretty slender lead at the top of the league against Dortmund that they haven't had for a while. 

Personally think he will flatter to deceive at Man City. 

How the hell do you stop another team winning games?

Bayern have won 22 out of 27 games and only lost 2 games all season with a +52 GD.

Any Club and it's fans that think they can employ a manager to win all you say and think it's a given are completely bonkers.

A team that lose 2 games all season are seen as a failure...really?

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

How the hell do you stop another team winning games?

Bayern have won 22 out of 27 games and only lost 2 games all season with a +52 GD.

Any Club and it's fans that think they can employ a manager to win all you say and think it's a given are completely bonkers.

A team that lose 2 games all season are seen as a failure...really?

I think his issue in Germany is that they don't appreciate the style of play. He's getting results, but it's not fast paced enough for them. I tend to agree; I find his team's somewhat boring to watch. They get goals, they dominate, but they don't half pass for the sake of passing rather than gaining anything bar making the opposition run. It's tedious. Effective, but tedious. 

58 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think his issue in Germany is that they don't appreciate the style of play. He's getting results, but it's not fast paced enough for them. I tend to agree; I find his team's somewhat boring to watch. They get goals, they dominate, but they don't half pass for the sake of passing rather than gaining anything bar making the opposition run. It's tedious. Effective, but tedious. 

Maybe...and imo, that's the way football has become.

To get results...managers have had to revert to finding ways of winning. Margins are so small these days.

Fans want entertainment...but imo, entertainment and winning long term are hard to achieve.

It seems cyclical...You find a way to win...then others find a way of stopping you. It keeps progressing. It's forever evolving.

At the moment...the way to win is how he is doing it.

The great thing is...other teams are starting to catch up.

You only have to look at the Prem this season.

Fans look at the big clubs and have suggested they are not as good as they used to be...or the managers aren't as good.

I beg to differ...it's because other teams have caught up and the margins are shrinking.

Good for the game in some ways...in others ways not so.

Football like most sports is becoming technically and physically perfect.

What makes football 'Entertaining'...often the imperfections.

It's so hard to break a team down these days...players are organised and fitter.

Defence is nullifying offence...then it can become just 22 blokes trying to break down one another...and it's often nigh on impossible.

Teams do not pass for the sake of passing...there is an exact science behind it.

The players are looking for the mistakes in the opposition...the space...and also working to averages.

When managers talk about 'players making the right decision'...it's down to them knowing, that if you give away possession in a certain area, then it will often lead to a goal.

To the humble fan, it may seem tedious, boring and unexciting...and it maybe. But patterns of play are put in place because stats and figures prove where mistakes are made.

So they try to cut out those mistakes and shorten the odds.

Football has become so technical and scientific, it often goes over the head of the humble fan, as he has no idea of the instruction the players are playing too...and it will often baffle them, as to why a player does something that looks illogical.

This is why when you look at most sports, they all look better back in the 70's and 80's.

There was a blend of both worlds that met and worked that were aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Now it's sterile and precise...almost perfect.

It's the imperfections that make it more entertaining...if you get my drift.

I won't quote @spudski to save the scrolling and I do agree; football is a game of imperfections now. However it's how you draw those imperfections. Pep likes to do so with possession, with movement and with pass, reset, pass, reset, pass, reset mistake and exploit. It's a very low pressure attack. 

However, I still believe you can be as effective by playing a high pressure, entertaining attack. Put the opposition under pressure and put them under the cosh rather than try to disrupt their organisation. And I think that's much more pleasing to watch. I find Pep's approach effective, but a dirge, and give me forced imperfections through pressure and fast paced countering - a la Leic, Watford, West Ham etc. 

33 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I do often wonder how many games players like Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Charlie George, Frank Worthington or even Matt Le Tissier and Gazza would get in these days of tracking back, keeping shape, playing to instructions and the rest. Sad really when you think about it.

What is sad

(1) The way the game is now all about athletes

or 

(2) The above players wouldnt put 100% effort in

For the record i want to watch those type of players, not some 6'2'' brick out house running around

21 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Personally I find his style of play quite boring and tedious, his major flaw is his stubbornness in regards to his system. The 4-0 home loss to Real Madrid summed it up for me.

I think his overall records speaks for itself, but your bound to get the odd bad day!

It was the Ajax blueprint that created total football, it has since been copied over and over again, it's a truly unbelievable project and something very close to my heart. I've had a cousin and a friend of his come through the Ajax academy and both have had great success in life, one in football the other practices law within the football world.

Kids who join the academy are schooled both in football and to A level standard (usually by 15/16) in many subjects and make or break in football are generally helped into further academic learning or vocational training should they not make the grade. Cruyffs move to Barcelona was responsible for the great Spanish team that dominated world football for so long, it's no wonder the blueprint has been copied with largely success across world football. Discipline, without boundaries and a responsible attitude for all the ACADEMIES STUDENTS, is why it was always going to be a success from the start, design is key and Cruyffs "free reign" to implant such ideas in Spain are now almost the norm for the most successful of clubs. 

If only he'd come here instead, then again I don't think him and Harry Dolman would of exactly seen eye to eye on the ideas that the aloof Cruyff had.

Nevermind Cruyff I'd take Evander Sno in our midfield, he's exactly what we need.

Sorrry for the ramble.

36 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Pep in the Europa League next season?

Man Utd just have to win their last 2 games to make it happen.

I bloody hope so. Would be hilarious. 

Archived