IGNORED

Aden Flint...tomorrow....

BS4 on Tour...

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Perhaps Mr Ashton`s original database from back then identified him as one to get. Can`t help thinking we`d have been told that by now though if it did.

Maybe , just glad we took the punt and didn't listen to Mr O Bismall 

38 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Didn't Sean O Driscoll say he'd have never paid £300,000 for him and it was crazy money! I agree it now looks like bargain of the century.

I think it was interpreted that way but that wasn't the point he was trying to make.

He was saying that nowadays, at League One level, you should be able to sign good enough players without a fee involved.  His use of the Flint fee as an example was clumsily made.  

And don't think I am a SOD fan - hate the bloke.   

56 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Amazing how he hasn't got injured in nearly 2 years, puts the likes of Sturridge and Wilshere to shame.

I think the international break may have come just in time. Against Bolton he came out for the second half with that black tape they use all around his left knee. Then  the next day i saw him at the Sainsbury's garage in Posset and he noticeably winced as he turned to walk out the kiosk door, even my wife remarked on it. I thought then that the 2 week rest might do him some good.

56 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Back in those times players played on with broken necks and shattered legs so I'm sure he did. I wonder how Sturridge would have fared in the 1950s?

His goal celebration would've raised a few eyebrows...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Need to do some counting back I think. The Oxford game was pre-season last year so by my reckoning this season is 39 league, 2 FA cup, 1 league cup = 42, last was 46 league, 5 FA cup, 6 JPT = 57 making 99 so his run started with the blades away game. Sorted!

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Need to do some counting back I think. The Oxford game was pre-season last year so by my reckoning this season is 39 league, 2 FA cup, 1 league cup = 42, last was 46 league, 5 FA cup, 6 JPT = 57 making 99 so his run started with the blades away game. Sorted!

Sheff game was 9th August, Oxford was 12th. 

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No, the Oxford game was after the sheff Utd game. Wasn't pre season at all, it was in the cup.

1 hour ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

It says the run started against sheff Utd, he then didn't play the next game, therefore it can't be 100

Yes he did, it was against Colchester at home...line ups here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28716644

Edit - sorry I thought you meant league game.

If it's not right perhaps someone should tell the club and Aden before tomorrow!

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Definitely not. Flint was offered to Mcinnes who didn't fancy him, but SOD said yes. 

Stupid question did indeed say 'yes' . However, he did also say 300k was too much around the same time, possibly slightly before, which was, to my recollection , said strongly enough to suggest he was not entirely in favour of it. 

No question one of City's best buys in recent times.

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the international break may have come just in time. Against Bolton he came out for the second half with that black tape they use all around his left knee. Then  the next day i saw him at the Sainsbury's garage in Posset and he noticeably winced as he turned to walk out the kiosk door, even my wife remarked on it. I thought then that the 2 week rest might do him some good.

Who ever said a football forum couldn't be educational ( apart from my wife ) - I for one always thought a posset was

"A posset (also spelled poshote, poshotte) was a British hot drink of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was popular from medieval times to the 19th century. The word is mainly used nowadays for a related dessert similar to syllabub."

I now learn it may be applied to Portishead Town Fc

Well done Flinty magnificent achievment.

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Who ever said a football forum couldn't be educational ( apart from my wife ) - I for one always thought a posset was

"A posset (also spelled poshote, poshotte) was a British hot drink of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was popular from medieval times to the 19th century. The word is mainly used nowadays for a related dessert similar to syllabub."

I now learn it may be applied to Portishead Town Fc

Well done Flinty magnificent achievment.

We have just had a "spoons" open in Portishead and I'll give them their due, they must have done a bit of research because they have called it "The Posset Cup".

Aden Flint eyes his Bristol City century and owes some of it to giving up Pot Noodles

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: April 05, 2016

By ANDY STOCKHAUSEN

Bristol City defender Anen Flint hopes to be celebrating a key victory against Rotherham at Ashton Gate tonight   PICTURE: JOE MEREDITH/ JMP

Bristol City defender Anen Flint hopes to be celebrating a key victory against Rotherham at Ashton Gate tonight PICTURE: JOE MEREDITH/ JMP

Comments (0)

Aden Flint has revealed how he gave up Pot Noodle to become a Bristol City centurion.

If selected to face Rotherham United in tonight's big Championship relegation battle at Ashton Gate, the popular defender will make his one hundredth consecutive appearance for the Robins.

Flint's amazing run commenced with a League One fixture against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on August 9, 2014, since when he has played every minute of every game, winning the League One title and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and even scoring a hat-trick in a fixture against Walsall.

It is a remarkable record of achievement, especially in an era when playing football is more physically demanding than ever before.

Attributing his long sequence of consecutive appearances to advances made in medical and sports science, the 6ft 5in centre-back explained how lifestyle changes have helped keep him fit and ready for action.

"When I played non-League football for Alfreton at the start of my career, I'd have a Pot Noodle sat on the coach after a game," revealed Flint.

"Nowadays, we'll have chicken or pasta and then drink a protein shake when I get home. Things are very different now and playing this many games is definitely down to the way we prepare and recover these days.

"There wasn't a lot of thought given to things like diet and exercise back then. Now we eat and drink the right things, we have ice baths and massages and we take things easy the day after a game.

"I've seen the benefits. Just look at Aaron Wilbraham – he's 36 and is as fit now as he was ten years ago. It's because he knows how to look after himself properly, that he is still playing in the Championship."

While Flint is proud of his achievement, he insists making 100 consecutive appearances will count for nothing if City do not beat Rotherham in front of a full-house crowd beneath the Ashton Gate floodlights tonight. Managed by Neil Warnock and in buoyant mood after winning five and drawing one of their last six games, the Millers are a point behind City and five clear of the relegation places.

"We will be well on the way to safety if we win this match," added Flint. "If I'm selected, then it will be great to reach the 100 game landmark, but I won't be thinking about that if we don't win.

"This is a big game for both sides and we have to make sure we win it, no matter how we do it."

City head coach Lee Johnson is threatening to make changes to his starting line-up for tonight's big game, and key midfielder Korey Smith is expected to recover from a tight thigh in time to be considered for selection.

Having just recovered from an ankle injury, Smith felt discomfort in his thigh during the warm-up for Saturday's match at Hull and was forced to withdraw. But Johnson is confident the former Norwich and Oldham man will be passed fit.

He said: "I have the option to freshen things up and now is probably a good time to do that.

"We've had the same side for a few games and maybe now is the time to give others an opportunity and make a change or two.

"I'm looking forward to changing things up and seeing what response I get."

So, Flinty has not quite managed 100 consecutive games yet, I believe we have established. But there must be one or two fans that have done this? Perhaps we could big them up instead, or while we wait for Flinty to reach his ton.

Tell us how you did it - did you give up pot noodles to make this milestone? How did you manage your recovery? A nice bath, perhaps, followed by curry and chips?

And have you been there for every minute of every one of the last 100 games - or did you storm out in a huff at 3 nil down at Colchester, or 4 down to Fulham? Or maybe you snuck out of the Dolman with just 3 or 4 minutes to go against Leeds, to beat the traffic?

The Oxford game wasn't pre-season so this wrong. I make it 98, seeing as you can't count the Sheffield United game if he didn't play the very next one. Still impressive though and he looks likely to pass the 100 anyway, even if it's not tonight.

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I can't choose! Both top players with great personalities.

Certainly are - but Flint takes it for me. To come back from that first season, and that nasty injury he got against Port Vale (?), I was glad he was out for the rest of the season

Now the man is well on his way to being someone we still speak about in 20 years time, unbelievable turnaround

Such wonderful and more than justified praise for a stalwart of our defence (and, frequently, our attack!) for, well, 100 consecutive games come this evening.

How many of you were screaming for him to leave (like 'Hands Up' Kilkenny) just before he got injured in the away game to Port Vale? 

Archived