IGNORED

Gary Johnson

JBFC II

54 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Our most successful manager since Alan Dicks isn't a legend?

It's all relative. I consider Terry Copper to be 10 times the manager GJ was . We were on our ass financially . He had little more than  a youth team to get results with and along with Clive middlemas dragged our club up by the boot straps. To such an extent that he got a van and drove to Darlington to help Alan Walsh move here. So no GJ is not a legend 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It's all relative. I consider Terry Copper to be 10 times the manager GJ was . We were on our ass financially . He had little more than  a youth team to get results with and along with Clive middlemas dragged our club up by the boot straps. To such an extent that he got a van and drove to Darlington to help Alan Walsh move here. So no GJ is not a legend 

So, was Terry Cooper a legend?

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I can understand the thought of Cooper being more successful due to the exceptional circumstances.  

I cannot understand how Jordan or Cotterill can be deemed more successful.  

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely Cotts achieved more?

Cotts won trophies but at a lower level. 

Getting to the championship play off final with a newly promoted squad was a lot better than winning the league and JPT with a squad which had the leagues best players.

Cooper was definitely a legend.

But for heaven's sake, so was Gary Johnson. I've been going regularly for 36 years, never known the place rocking as it was in 2007-08. There's so much rewriting of history on any GJ thread….has been since the day he left. Can't understand why, but I suspect that rather too many regulars on here had knives out for him (as they have for his son for some reason) and it hugely suited their agenda for him to, eventually, fail. 

But in my opinion he was without doubt one the finest managers of the whole club and its fan base. Good times. And let's face it TC left around 30 years ago and GJ took us further than any of his successors. 

I was at Hull at the weekend, had plenty of chances to see that Windass goal. Had we won that match, which we could have done, things would have been very different.

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Cooper was definitely a legend.

But for heaven's sake, so was Gary Johnson. I've been going regularly for 36 years, never known the place rocking as it was in 2007-08. 

Believe me 38,000 at The Gate against Liverpool in a vital game in the late seventies seriously eclipsed the atmosphere for any game when GJ was at the helm....and many many other games did as well...

Well, as a schoolboy I was at the Leeds and Liverpool cup matches and I recall them being wonderful, but I'm 54 and in the 36 years since I got my first pay packet I'd rate GJ the best manager of a side that consistently got me excited about going to matches.

I'm rather hoping the next 36 years offer more than the last!

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

So, was Terry Cooper a legend?

Definitely . From bankruptcy to promotion in 2 years and Wembley in 4 . The club still treated him like shit though and have never  acknowledged what he done for us . Perhaps it should be the Terry Cooper lounge rather than the Heineken lounge .   Just a thought 

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Legend gets banded about way too much these days. Decent manager at the time but legend ? 

Nowhere near it . 

Taken us as close to the top flight as anyone else in the best part of half a century. Legend is fine with me. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Surely Cotts achieved more?

Nope, wasn't going to be able to keep us in the Championship let alone get us near a play off final.

Enjoyable as it was not comparable.

sorry just realised you were talking about Dicks.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

That does seem to be a reasonably common view.  I can't understand it.  Johnson got us promoted and then one win from the Premier League.  

Madness isn't it? Piss pot trophy and promotion from the 3rd tier.

Was good fun and loved it but not in the same league (literally)

Archived