IGNORED

Gary Johnson

JBFC II

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Terry Cooper for me - purely because I don`t think we`d have a club now if he hadn`t taken the bull by the horns in the way he did.

Desperate times and he saw us through it.

I didn't watch city till late 90s but all I ever heard from my old man and his mates is pretty much the above. Again I know little about his reign but why did he leave and could he have taken city to the heights Gary did?

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You really think that is just how we played with Baldock up top?!

Do you really believe we played good football under O'Driscoll?

Guess you didn't witness us playing 20 passes around the back four then a long ball forward to Baldock. 

7 minutes ago, Gilts said:

Do you really believe we played good football under O'Driscoll?

Guess you didn't witness us playing 20 passes around the back four then a long ball forward to Baldock. 

I was there mate, home and away. Just don't think we can generalise so succinctly by saying his only tactic was to bang it forward to Baldock...

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

My first City manager was Fred Ford but way back then I didn't really appreciate what constituted "decent" football. Back then it was all about going out with my mates and having a laugh. 

To me the best football I've seen at City was during Danny Wilsons reign. Wingers, attacking play and great entertainment. Shame that he never achieved anything. He  got close but ultimately ended up with nothing.

The least enjoyable football? A toss up between Osman and Gary Johnson. In Johnson case his "style" was to get a goal up and try to hang on and for a while it worked but was found out the following season. 

But if you use the word "legend" then to me it was Terry Cooper simply for what was achieved from the depths of liquidation to City becoming once again an established football league club.

Whilst I quite appreciate that the two of you didn't get along you could, after all this time, be a bit fairer to the man. You imply that we had one good season under his management. Gary Johnson gave us a cracking season in 2006-07 with that long awaited promotion…the "following season" - 2007-08 - we were 90 minutes from the Prem…I guess that's not the one you are referring to…the "following season" - 2008-09 - we finished 10th…the season after that he left…to your delight! At what point he was "found out" I'm unsure but no one has bettered the performances of his sides since, and his play-off season was the best we've had in the past 30-odd years.

Look, most long term regular otib users know my views on GJ. Yeah he got results but his "style" was unattractive to my eye.

He was exactly the same at Yeovil.

Fans look at where he took us in the league and that's understandable  but I like to be entertained and despite the results  I never really enjoyed watching GJs teams.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

We put up with O'Driscoll for a very short period of time but at least things could have improved had he not pissed off SL. with his dogmatic attitude. With Johnson Snr it was soooooo much longer with no hope of improvement.

BIG difference.

I actually feel sorry that any human being can feel such bitterness as you do, your constant criticism of Johnson is an embarrassment

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But prior to that we got promoted, had some good cup results and got to the playoff final? He unearthed some great players for tiny fees.. I could continue but it's actually pointless. Your delusion about GJ is actually a bit weird. 

Ha ha, your quite right of course. We played some amazing football at times under GJ. But the sage of otib (:laugh:) will never acknowledge it, cos he allegedly soiled his pants due to Gj giving him the hairdryer treatment. Ooooooh the shame of it!!!

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I actually feel sorry that any human being can feel such bitterness as you do, your constant criticism of Johnson is an embarrassment

Fact is that I saw through GJ whilst most of you suckers did not, blinded by results and the fact that City were doing well in terms of league position.

From early in his his reign I could see that he was limited and one-dimensional. That lack of iinnovation cost him his job at Yeovil and at City. His "style" is obviously effective in the lower leagues but easily found out higher up. He is, and always will be a one trick pony.

Hence my thread of years ago...........

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fact is that I saw through GJ whilst most of you suckers did not, blinded by results and the fact that City were doing well in terms of league position.

From early in his his reign I could see that he was limited and one-dimensional. That lack of iinnovation cost him his job at Yeovil and at City. His "style" is obviously effective in the lower leagues but easily found out higher up. He is, and always will be a one trick pony.

Hence my thread of years ago...........

You are not alone on this. I know we are a massive minority but I felt the same but this started for me from January 08 where I realised we had nothing from the academy, a shocking scouting set up and relying on 1-0 victories.

Always seen City as a club who loved to try play attracting football at all times with the few local boys in the team but felt it was sacrificed a lot just to try get us to the top.

I do however accept that I can see why others see him as a legend but in my view like yours he definitely is not.

5 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

You are not alone on this. I know we are a massive minority but I felt the same but this started for me from January 08 where I realised we had nothing from the academy, a shocking scouting set up and relying on 1-0 victories.

Always seen City as a club who loved to try play attracting football at all times with the few local boys in the team but felt it was sacrificed a lot just to try get us to the top.

I do however accept that I can see why others see him as a legend but in my view like yours he definitely is not.

I certainly don't see him as a legend but he took us from 3rd division mid-table mediocrity to 1 game a way from the premiership plus created a marvellous feel good factor at AG for a couple of seasons, for that alone he deserves great credit.

Archived