IGNORED

Gary Johnson

JBFC II

3 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan and Steve Cotterill may all have a say on that. Gj first few years fantastic but he started our slide back to league 1 I'm sorry.

Alan Dicks also started our slide to league 1 (div 2 back then).......just saying!

1 hour ago, Big Brother said:

He's at the end of this video.

Apart from the win at Rovers in the Cup what is particularly priceless is Norman Glover's refereeing of the City v Notts County FA Cup ties (6'30")…which were the worst refereeing performances I think I've ever seen…very entertaining…now! Not at the time. The Pritchard offside is a particular gem.

Let's face it we have only had two true legends in all our history, and neither of them were managers as every successful manager we have had ended up a failure - Dicks, Johnson, SC or whoever.

The two genuine legends? Wedlock and Atyeo.  Not much to show for our long history is it?

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Well, as a schoolboy I was at the Leeds and Liverpool cup matches and I recall them being wonderful, but I'm 54 and in the 36 years since I got my first pay packet I'd rate GJ the best manager of a side that consistently got me excited about going to matches.

I'm rather hoping the next 36 years offer more than the last!

I have to admit to getting excited watching Danny Wilsons' side. They were quite amazing at times. This may open up a can (pie can?) of worms but although we were winning, Johnsons teams used to make me feel I was going out of some sort of duty. He just gave me the feeling that his team talk always started with "right let's keep it tight for the first 30 minutes".

I'd add Mr Harry Dolman to the list of legends. Looking at that stadium, SL can't be far away. 

44 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Let's face it we have only had two true legends in all our history, and neither of them were managers as every successful manager we have had ended up a failure - Dicks, Johnson, SC or whoever.

The two genuine legends? Wedlock and Atyeo.  Not much to show for our long history is it?

Two legends, one of which has had his name removed from a stand to be replaced with 'Dribuild South Stand' & then when the Atyeo is eventually knocked down the same will happen there.

Not acceptable. 

Gary Johnson best manager & best times ive seen in 20 odd years. 

I was there for the Atyeo years, the Alan Dicks years, the Terry Cooper years, the Joe Jordan years, and the Gary Johnson years.

Lots of excitement, some amazing games and times and some great achievements.

But for me there has only been one manager who produced a team so complete, so totally superior to all the other teams in the league and playing a style of football so enjoyable to watch.

Legend? Maybe not, but last season under Cotts was the most enjoyable one I have ever experienced. League 1 or not, tin pot JPT or not, it was great and I loved every bit of it. It was a joy to travel to home and away games and know we were favourites to win. Didn't always happen, but we were good, very good. We were the best.

Going by the Football Manager definition, I'd go for City icon. Same with Cotterill. ???

Johnson's at a different level, Cotts was fortunate League opposition were shite. 

Lets not forget Gary Johnson took us to one good result of the Premier League

7 new players required in the summer if Lee is to get us anywhere close.

For me, GJ is a legend of this club and will always be. He took us to the brink of the promised land with a very very average team. Talking of budgets we certainly were not flush at that time!

For me Cotts isn't a legend. A lot of reasons why, including that he won the league with the very best side and we were expected to do so. Also the manner he left around the ground and the way staff at the club and academy talk about him

best city managers in order- since I've been watching (73 onwards). Based on league position and feel good factor Dicks, Johnson, Jordan, cottrell, cooper. Certainly not Wilson who was allowed too long because we were top half of a poor league every season. 

Given thats 5 names in 43 years and no others spring to mind, they should all be city legends. 

I'd say he was one game away from becoming a legend.... As it is, he was simply a very successful manager. Certainly though, a legend in the eyes of Yeovil fans. He achieved three promotions with them, from the conference, league 2 and league 1!  Now he's going for number 5 on his CV with Cheltenham! :)

• Admin
2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

By leaving the bench unfilled for no other reason than childishness????????..not fit to clean Terry Coopers cat's litter tray.

Fair point - but for me you can only judge someone on what they acheived

Cotts got a league and cup double - Johnson just promotion

Without wanting to start a whole new debate, let's not pretend that there were lots wrong around the place when Johnson was in charge

Anyway - we move on, to the next legend ?!?!?

I don't really know how you can compare say Terry Cooper (my first manager) to Cotterill (most recent manger for any period of time, Lee is still too new) for example. Very different eras, very different finances, expectations and pressures. They had very different tools to do the same job, no technology, dietitian and sports psychologists back in Terry's day. But I guess he was afforded the luxury of time more than a manger would now. 

Cotterill I would have thought had the best (or near best) of everything at his disposal. 2 nights away before away games (which I believe has reverted to the single night again now). I don't think Cooper's team had many away nights, left on the day of the match was the norm. 

Who got the best out of their team? again you can't judge players who cost millions to 16/17 year olds with second hand boots.

I think they should all be recognised as club legends in their own era's.

53 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't really know how you can compare say Terry Cooper (my first manager) to Cotterill (most recent manger for any period of time, Lee is still too new) for example. Very different eras, very different finances, expectations and pressures. They had very different tools to do the same job, no technology, dietitian and sports psychologists back in Terry's day. But I guess he was afforded the luxury of time more than a manger would now. 

Cotterill I would have thought had the best (or near best) of everything at his disposal. 2 nights away before away games (which I believe has reverted to the single night again now). I don't think Cooper's team had many away nights, left on the day of the match was the norm. 

Who got the best out of their team? again you can't judge players who cost millions to 16/17 year olds with second hand boots.

They're all legends and so are we.

We are playing a part in creating the history of our club .

Even un loved players like Dinning and Hunt have contributed . Those two have certainly become legends but , sadly , for the wrong reasons.

5 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

My mate is a legend for buying me a pint last night...Just accept the use of the word nowadays, and stop getting so upset.

Ha ha, spot on.  It has a different meaning these days.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Yep, that's a decent assessment.

Re Terry Cooper - did remarkable things at this club, and rightly a legend imho.....and to think he was player-manager of a The Horse Punchers too, before he managed us.  He must've done something right here!

Got me thinking about John Ward....not a legend, but respected massively by me....again managed Rovers.  Worrying!

My first City manager was Fred Ford but way back then I didn't really appreciate what constituted "decent" football. Back then it was all about going out with my mates and having a laugh. 

To me the best football I've seen at City was during Danny Wilsons reign. Wingers, attacking play and great entertainment. Shame that he never achieved anything. He  got close but ultimately ended up with nothing.

The least enjoyable football? A toss up between Osman and Gary Johnson. In Johnson case his "style" was to get a goal up and try to hang on and for a while it worked but was found out the following season. 

But if you use the word "legend" then to me it was Terry Cooper simply for what was achieved from the depths of liquidation to City becoming once again an established football league club.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

The least enjoyable football? A toss up between Osman and Gary Johnson. In Johnson case his "style" was to get a goal up and try to hang on and for a while it worked but was found out the following season. 

Ridiculous, did you really prefer watching O'Driscoll football of smashing the ball over the top to Baldock?

15 minutes ago, Gilts said:

Ridiculous, did you really prefer watching O'Driscoll football of smashing the ball over the top to Baldock?

We put up with O'Driscoll for a very short period of time but at least things could have improved had he not pissed off SL. with his dogmatic attitude. With Johnson Snr it was soooooo much longer with no hope of improvement.

BIG difference.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We put up with O'Driscoll for a very short period of time but at least things could have improved had he not pissed off SL. with his dogmatic attitude. With Johnson Snr it was soooooo much longer with no hope of improvement.

BIG difference.

But prior to that we got promoted, had some good cup results and got to the playoff final? He unearthed some great players for tiny fees.. I could continue but it's actually pointless. Your delusion about GJ is actually a bit weird. 

22 hours ago, Big Brother said:

He's at the end of this video.

:drunk2:1-0 down 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup :).:drunk2:

How about those pitches how did they ever play on them?

AND How many times did Seymour and old Rog say "Geography student Martyn Hirst", bloody obsessed by that they were. :) 

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

My first City manager was Fred Ford but way back then I didn't really appreciate what constituted "decent" football. Back then it was all about going out with my mates and having a laugh. 

To me the best football I've seen at City was during Danny Wilsons reign. Wingers, attacking play and great entertainment. Shame that he never achieved anything. He  got close but ultimately ended up with nothing.

But if you use the word "legend" then to me it was Terry Cooper simply for what was achieved from the depths of liquidation to City becoming once again an established football league club.

I feel so sorry for you, that you got no enjoyment from some of the football under Gary Johnson.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

BIG difference.

I'd argue that we actually played good football for 3 years under Johnson which resulted in a 2nd place finish in league one, 4th in 07/08 then tenth the following season in the championship again. What we'd all do for a 10th place finish now.

Archived