IGNORED

Marlon pack. Another top performance

redfieldred

He was given a battering on this forum by many earlier in the season. Loads said he wasn't good enough for this level. I said otherwise as he was doing an impossible job in front of a desperately open defence. Unbelievably still getting stick from some every time he makes an error. It is time to stop that and give him the praise he deserves. 

2 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

This one bloke who sits at the top of block s22, is ridiculous in his abuse aimed at Pack, everything he does. Really irritates me.

Likewise bloke behind me. Korey nearly gifted a goal to them to them first five. Not a word. Pack then gets a foul against trying to get the ball clear and he's slagging him off. No consistency 

2 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Likewise bloke behind me. Korey nearly gifted a goal to them to them first five. Not a word. Pack then gets a foul against trying to get the ball clear and he's slagging him off. No consistency 

Maybe because Korey is a genius in tight spots for the most part and a little flashier than Pack that he gets so much love and I do love Korey but he can make a mistake or two like today. Which is completely normal but Pack doesn't make any more mistakes than Korey but gets lots of hate. They're on different ends of the spectrum for many fans but on the pitch they're decent passers, good tacklers but don't help out enough with goals. They're quite similar really. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe because Korey is a genius in tight spots for the most part and a little flashier than Pack that he gets so much love and I do love Korey but he can make a mistake or two like today. Which is completely normal but Pack doesn't make any more mistakes than Korey but gets lots of hate. They're on different ends of the spectrum for many fans but on the pitch they're decent passers, good tacklers but don't help out enough with goals. They're quite similar really. 

People like seeing players beat opponents 1 to1 me included, but sometimes the quick ball is far more effective as Korey showed with free kick leading to goal 2. Pack can beat a player if he has to, but today his first time balls were brilliant and put us on the front foot. 

Beating players wins you fans. One touch football wins you games. 

I thought Pack was decent today, effective and efficient.

As a team, we were so much more patient on the ball when we couldn't attack them at pace / on the break.  I was more than happy to see the ball go:

Matthews, Flint, Baker, Smith, Baker, Flint, Baker, Bryan, Smith, Pack etc

Without needing to resort to a Flint ball up to Kodjia....who incidentally did very well back-to-goal today.

Got to be honest i am not a big Pack fan hes a great lad but i just dont think he is good enough if we aspire to be a top 10 championship team

We were great today but when i look at the team i am not sure a midfield containing Smith Freeman and Pack will ever be good enough

Smith is good enough of course!

I was a massive Pack hater since last season, never thought he was good enough and that his decision making was poor, and was very surprised when he got a new contract in the summer when completely unproven at this level. Not sure if it was Cotterills tactics but when he was playing under him he seemed very defensive and lightweight in the midfield. Since Johnson has come in he has looked much better, maybe due to the fact with Tomlin/Odemwingie coming into the team so may have more time on the ball.

I still think he is he most droppable person in the midfield, plenty of better players in this league that are better than him, but hopefully he keeps up his current form for the last 5 games as he seems to be the player to improve the most under Johnson.

5 hours ago, adamc6203 said:

I was a massive Pack hater since last season, never thought he was good enough and that his decision making was poor, and was very surprised when he got a new contract in the summer when completely unproven at this level. Not sure if it was Cotterills tactics but when he was playing under him he seemed very defensive and lightweight in the midfield. Since Johnson has come in he has looked much better, maybe due to the fact with Tomlin/Odemwingie coming into the team so may have more time on the ball.

I still think he is he most droppable person in the midfield, plenty of better players in this league that are better than him, but hopefully he keeps up his current form for the last 5 games as he seems to be the player to improve the most under Johnson.

It's the change in formation, he was always decent, but was trying to protect a very very open back 4, that made him look culpable for a few goals, when in fact it was the system that was poor not pack. 

He got my player of the season vote. Been our most consistent performer all season. Probably a couple of 5/10 performances, a couple of 9/10 performances, but the majority have been 7's or 8's. 

Very consistent season for Pack. 

Under Cotts I was thinking that Pack was going to be a key reason that we were going to get relegated. Lack of pace, too lightweight and always failing with that diagonal pass! 

Since the formation change he has been our best player. Economical with the ball, tough in the tackle, dominant in the air and even seems a yard of pace quicker!

unbelieavle turnaround and a player of the season candidate for me.

Most improved player under LJ in my opinion

He gave a classy performance yesterday in a great win

Good to see an old scapegoat prove the doubters wrong

Only moan yesterday was that the pre match burger in the Sports Bar was as dry as a nuns..........

coyr

9 hours ago, redfieldred said:

He was given a battering on this forum by many earlier in the season. Loads said he wasn't good enough for this level. I said otherwise as he was doing an impossible job in front of a desperately open defence. Unbelievably still getting stick from some every time he makes an error. It is time to stop that and give him the praise he deserves. 

I'm with you. Pack is a footballer in a similar mould to Tomlin. He's always looking for and wanting the ball. I think he links play well and in my opinion is no way "the most droppable".

He tries things that sometimes come off and sometimes don't. That combined with his desire to have the ball makes him what he is. It also makes him vulnerable to those who like to moan whom I doubt rarely applaud the successful cross field pass.

Admittedly not so good when SC was here, but under LJ he'd be one of my players who'd be first on the team sheet.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

He got my player of the season vote. Been our most consistent performer all season. Probably a couple of 5/10 performances, a couple of 9/10 performances, but the majority have been 7's or 8's. 

Same here. 

9 hours ago, rockinredrobin said:

Got to be honest i am not a big Pack fan hes a great lad but i just dont think he is good enough if we aspire to be a top 10 championship team

We were great today but when i look at the team i am not sure a midfield containing Smith Freeman and Pack will ever be good enough

Smith is good enough of course!

This is what I mean. Smith is good enough of course. Is he that much better than Pack? I'm not sure he is. You notice Korey more because he's a bit quicker so wins a few more 50-50 balls and can beat his man with his touch. 

They both don't score or assist enough for me. I don't need loads of goals from my centre miss but 3 or 4 wouldn't hurt. Korey you'll see slide in to tackles and Marlon you will see hit people off the ball with his power. A standing tackle. They both are quite accurate short passers. Marlon has a good long pass but people moan when it gets intercepted sometimes but when it comes off which it does more often than not now that's he's cut them down from the start of the season. 

Korey is good enough but I think Marlon is right there with him. You could probably improve on both of them but it would be expensive. You have to really watch Marlon to appreciate the job he does. You've seen it more recently as well. Marlon running 50 yards to knock someone off the ball breaking up an attack. You see him covering for Golbourne/Matthews/Bryan when the get forward from the fullback spots. For me he is every bit as important as Korey. They compliment each other so well. If Pack were to miss 4/5 games like Korey did, we'd be saying we need Marlon back ASAP. 

And I don't mean it as an attack on you rockinred, just using your post as an example. I think Marlon gets undeserved flak and in your case not enough love for the job he does. He and Korey are great together and yes we should try and improve the centre mid spots if we can and we defeinately need someone else in there to spell both of them or cover when injured. 

11 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

This one bloke who sits at the top of block s22, is ridiculous in his abuse aimed at Pack, everything he does. Really irritates me.

There is a guy up behind us in the Atyeo, who we refer to as "Packman" he was the same, but as the season has worn on he does it more as a joke now, and we all take the piss out of him about it. Next season he is moving into S22 so I guess he will have a mate :) 

3 hours ago, ChillyTrav said:

Most improved player under LJ in my opinion

He gave a classy performance yesterday in a great win

Good to see an old scapegoat prove the doubters wrong

Only moan yesterday was that the pre match burger in the Sports Bar was as dry as a nuns..........

coyr

Shame i voted for that burger in the Burger of the Season award , haters got to hate .

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Surely he had a 6/10 too?:P

But agree, he's gradually improved throughout the season.  Needs to kick on with a couple more goals.

Pack has a lot of attributes no doubt about that, but doesn't create or score enough for me, I don't think that our midfield is or has been consistent enough for me all season and have been our main problem all season and I think not strengthening our midfield with better players would be a huge mistake, that is my opinion, definitely a good squad player.

Archived