IGNORED

Anyone bothered about Man City?

Jack Dawe

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I had a real soft spot for Man City, before the money

We know what it's like for a team in the same City to suffer in the shadows of their far superior neighbours, and Maine Road was a great, old fashioned stadium. Then the money come and I couldn't give a flying **** about them. Although there was a comment from Thaigo Silva yesterday that Zlatan shouldn't come to the Prem as it's a step down.....that irked me somewhat, so I'm glad City won last night

That said I'm hoping that Benfica or Athletico win the Cup, one in the eye for the big boys. If one of the big boys has to win it, I hope it's Bayern, I love watching them play

Looking forward to seeing Leicester & Tottenham in there next season, not that I subscribe, so I can't actually watch the games - but it will be nice to hear different names being spoken about

This is the from the team that are 28 pts clear in their league because it's so competitive? 

My Auntie (god rest her) bought me a Man City scarf for Christmas one year (1981 I'd guess), probably due to watching the cup final with my Dad and Uncle and cheering like mad for Man City because Gerry Gow was playing for them.

But no, not overly bothered about them now!!

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

No problem with their fans, particularly the ones that go back to Maine Rd days. A loyal and good humoured lot, added much to the terrace culture of our game. It's just the team on the pitch. No interest or fondness for any of them

One of the reasons I actually really enjoy going to watch Manchester City is because it is a team of Superstar mercenary players playing against other teams full of Superstar mercenary players! 

Like a lot of fans I like ticking off grounds I've been to but I also like seeing certain players - I'll be able to tell my Grand kids that I have seen the likes of Ronaldo, Aguero, Messi, Neymar, Totti, Ibrahimovic etc.

It's just unfortunate that I don't get to see them playing at the Gate!

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

We know what it's like for a team in the same City to suffer in the shadows of their far superior neighbours, and Maine Road was a great, old fashioned stadium. Then the money come and I couldn't give a flying **** about them. Although there was a comment from Thaigo Silva yesterday that Zlatan shouldn't come to the Prem as it's a step down.....that irked me somewhat, so I'm glad City won last night

That said I'm hoping that Benfica or Athletico win the Cup, one in the eye for the big boys. If one of the big boys has to win it, I hope it's Bayern, I love watching them play

Looking forward to seeing Leicester & Tottenham in there next season, not that I subscribe, so I can't actually watch the games - but it will be nice to hear different names being spoken about

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

This is the from the team that are 28 pts clear in their league because it's so competitive? 

In fairness he said that none of the current prem teams are as good as PSG, which is why he sees it as a step down. Currently on paper its hard to disagree even if they did lose last night (and nearly got done by a Chelsea team languishing in mid table....) but he never said the Premier league itself was a step down for Ligue 1. I don't think anyone could argue that.

"I know he has offers from England - and it is a big league - but I don’t think there is a team in England that is at the level of PSG at the moment. For me it would be a step down in quality for him.”

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

We know what it's like for can only imagine what it must be like for a team in the same City to suffer in the shadows of their far superior neighbours, and Maine Road was a great, old fashioned stadium. Then the money come and I couldn't give a flying **** about them. Although there was a comment from Thaigo Silva yesterday that Zlatan shouldn't come to the Prem as it's a step down.....that irked me somewhat, so I'm glad City won last night

Now look @Woodsy I've fixed this for you on this occasion but we can't possibly tolerate, ever again, such mis-use of the English language. Now please go and stand in the corner until break.

26 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Now look @Woodsy I've fixed this for you on this occasion but we can't possibly tolerate, ever again, such mis-use of the English language. Now please go and stand in the corner until break.

Ha, I'm sorry Rudolf. I need to go get lunch, can I get that first, then stand in the corner?

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Judging by the empty seats on display, it seems their fans aren't overly arsed either. 

I was astonished by the empty seats.  If you can't get more than 53,000 for a Champions League quarter final against a European heavyweight, then that must be the limit of their fanbase.  I guess Man City just aren't as big a club as they first appear.

Here's a question.  Suppose City were in a Champions League quarter final against PSG at Ashton Gate, with 60,000 seats available, how many would we sell?  Would we beat 53k?  Sounds ridiculous, but we took 45k two hours down the road for a match against Walsall so I'm not sure it's that outrageous to suggest we might.

Let's be honest though people in Manchester are pretty used to having Champions League quarter finals. Man City do not have the same pulling power as Man Utd, Man Utd can draw fans from all over the world for any given game. Man Citys support is still pretty local. 53k is a good showing when you put everything into consideration.

4 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Let's be honest though people in Manchester are pretty used to having Champions League quarter finals. Man City do not have the same pulling power as Man Utd, Man Utd can draw fans from all over the world for any given game. Man Citys support is still pretty local. 53k is a good showing when you put everything into consideration.

It's not a bad turn out, but it does prove that Man City don't have the fanbase of United or Arsenal, both of whom sell out bigger stadiums virtually every game regardless of the opposition.  I dare say Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would also sell out 60k for a match v PSG.  Perhaps even Leeds too?

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I was astonished by the empty seats.  If you can't get more than 53,000 for a Champions League quarter final against a European heavyweight, then that must be the limit of their fanbase.  I guess Man City just aren't as big a club as they first appear.

Here's a question.  Suppose City were in a Champions League quarter final against PSG at Ashton Gate, with 60,000 seats available, how many would we sell?  Would we beat 53k?  Sounds ridiculous, but we took 45k two hours down the road for a match against Walsall so I'm not sure it's that outrageous to suggest we might.

Well, I suppose that we'd probably open the top tier of the West Stand.

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

Yea I care, an English team in the semi's of the Champions' League...why not? The apathy to other teams successes in Europe and our National Team is very evident on here, this has to stop, get behind Queen and Country you saps.:chant6ez:

An English club, not an English team.

37 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Oh go on then. I can't be mad at you but be sure to clean the board before this afternoon's lessons.

(Do they still use boards?)

Last parents evening I went to there was some kind of laser thing going on, then that screen disappeared and was replaced by something else....random

I suspect being tagged by a laser hurts more than having a board rubber chucked at you though?

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Last parents evening I went to there was some kind of laser thing going on, then that screen disappeared and was replaced by something else....random

I suspect being tagged by a laser hurts more than having a board rubber chucked at you though?

Nothing hurts more than being hit by a board rubber!

it's not just Man City I'm not bothered about, it's the champions league in general. Stopped watching it years back. In fact, genuinely, I don't know whose won the last few. As a competition it died a while back for me. I read not long back that UEFA wanted to punish people for booing the 'official anthem' which just about says it all. It's one big circle jerk. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's not a bad turn out, but it does prove that Man City don't have the fanbase of United or Arsenal, both of whom sell out bigger stadiums virtually every game regardless of the opposition.  I dare say Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would also sell out 60k for a match v PSG.  Perhaps even Leeds too?

It was a sell out and their record attendance, it was a "capped" capacity... I'm not sure why, but that wouldn't have made much difference as the last tickets were only snapped up yesterday afternoon.

Got to be honest it looked pretty full from where I was but I was right down the bottom behind a goal.

DSC_0010.JPG

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

It was a sell out and their record attendance, it was a "capped" capacity... I'm not sure why, but that wouldn't have made much difference as the last tickets were only snapped up yesterday afternoon.

Got to be honest it looked pretty full from where I was but I was right down the bottom behind a goal.

DSC_0010.JPG

Just out of interest, how much were the tickets?

9 hours ago, NeilS said:

Yea I care, an English team in the semi's of the Champions' League...why not? The apathy to other teams successes in Europe and our National Team is very evident on here, this has to stop, get behind Queen and Country you saps.:chant6ez:

I didn't realise the Queen had anything to do with a team that is only doing well because of Arab oil money

10 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

No problem with their fans, particularly the ones that go back to Maine Rd days. A loyal and good humoured lot, added much to the terrace culture of our game. It's just the team on the pitch. No interest or fondness for any of them

Yes know what you mean mates season ticket has shot up to 850 pound from  300 he said he used to know everyone around him now there's foreigners chinks sat there said it's now not the same he envys  us proper football seems a long time since I got him tickets for Man city v gas at the mem after they beat gills in playoffs at wembley

8 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Owners come and go,would you somehow not support City as much if some Arab oil well money money came into to oil the wheels? Would you not want City to win the Champions League let alone the Prem FA Cup, and all else, because of the source of the wealth, of course not, you wouldn't give a toss.

I wouldn't want us to buy our way to success and would feel disenchanted with the club if we did. 

Would likely end up just following Manor Farm instead.

Of course I would still keep an eye on City's results.

34 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes know what you mean mates season ticket has shot up to 850 pound from  300 he said he used to know everyone around him now there's foreigners chinks sat there said it's now not the same he envys  us proper football seems a long time since I got him tickets for Man city v gas at the mem after they beat gills in playoffs at wembley

Where does he sit?  On the set of a 1970s sit-com?

9 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Owners come and go,would you somehow not support City as much if some Arab oil well money money came into to oil the wheels? Would you not want City to win the Champions League let alone the Prem FA Cup, and all else, because of the source of the wealth, of course not, you wouldn't give a toss.

Thanks for speaking for everyone else. 

I would give a toss.  Hope that's okay. 

Archived