IGNORED

NFL draft

'Orns

9 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

Very strange move from the eagles.  Before all the hype that has happened over the last 2 weeks, the two qbs being talked up were only half decent at best.  

As a Packers fan i'm happy to just sit back and watch all of these teams fight it out.  And relax in the knowledge that in Ted Thompson we will continue to draft players that perform in the nfl at a very high level without the need to throw away picks for overrated college greats.

As a Saints fan this makes me happy too. Better chance of a defensive stud falling to 12 as well, draft appears heavy on defence, so should be ok anyway - but if a Buckner or a Bosa could just slip that little further I'd be extremely happy

10 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

I an't either, as i said in another post i just can't see what's so special about these 2 QB's. Agree with RGIII and i'd go out on a limb and say i'd take a shot with Manziel over Goff and Wentz i think he can get himself together and have a decent pro career.

Manziel is ****** now, surely? People dropping him left, right and centre. He needs a serious reality check, and quick or he's a dead man in the next 18 months

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Manziel is ****** now, surely? People dropping him left, right and centre. He needs a serious reality check, and quick or he's a dead man in the next 18 months

I reckon IF he sorts himself out he'll have a chance of becoming a decent QB

33 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Forgot about the other big news - Panthers releasing Josh Norman! Obviously asking for way too much money, fair play to them

You can see the $$ signs in his eyes, he's in line for a massive deal.

2 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

I reckon IF he sorts himself out he'll have a chance of becoming a decent QB

You can see the $$ signs in his eyes, he's in line for a massive deal.

I was excited to see how Manziel got on, but he's screwed it up massively

As for Norman, he's gonna get paid!

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 05:21, northsomersetred said:

$75m over 5yrs, $50m guaranteed 

Payday!!

I read that Brees asked for Norman to be in NO, and offered to redo his contract on the back of it.....just redo the ******* contract and give the team some cap space ffs!

Massively overpaid, will be interesting to see how he gets on there, got some good WRs in his division.....

2 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

By the sounds of this Goff no.1 Wentz no.2?

NFL video

If you believe all what you read, Goff is already signed with the Rams, although I guess that's pretty much illegal? Seem to remember a while back the #1 pick was announced 4 or 5 days before draft night as the deal had already been done

It does take away from the drama of the evening, would much prefer the trades being agreed and announced on the night

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

If you believe all what you read, Goff is already signed with the Rams, although I guess that's pretty much illegal? Seem to remember a while back the #1 pick was announced 4 or 5 days before draft night as the deal had already been done

It does take away from the drama of the evening, would much prefer the trades being agreed and announced on the night

I'm sure in the past, many years ago, no.1 picks have been announced beforehand, but then again i'm getting on a bit now:facepalm:

17 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

I'm sure in the past, many years ago, no.1 picks have been announced beforehand, but then again i'm getting on a bit now:facepalm:

Sure I read that the Rams done it years ago with someone

I remember catching bits of the draft here and there on tv going back down the years, but it's nothing like the well oiled machine it is now. The quickest way of getting the info before was waiting for the British NFL paper to come out a week later, First Down I think it was called? I listened to it on a local New Orleans station last year, throwing Mum a surprise 75th tomorrow night, so will be having a few drinks, don't think I'll catch any of it this time around!

Really enjoying the coverage on sky sports 1, lots of interviews with players, ex players and people in power.  Not long now until the draft starts.  I'm not sure why i bother staying up, as a Packers fan, we're just as likely to draft a legend in round 3-4-5-6-7 as we are picking 27th tonight.

11 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

Really enjoying the coverage on sky sports 1, lots of interviews with players, ex players and people in power.  Not long now until the draft starts.  I'm not sure why i bother staying up, as a Packers fan, we're just as likely to draft a legend in round 3-4-5-6-7 as we are picking 27th tonight.

Long time to wait for the 27th pick as well!

4 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Dolphins got the steal of the draft, never expected Tunsil to go that far down..

Jeez, what a night Tunsil had! Not seen the pics as yet, but doesn't sound good. Dolphins got lucky! Happy with Saints pick too, for a change!

Some good looking players left there for 2nd round tonight, could be more interesting than the 1st....how far will Jack fall?

Can someone explain how the draft works?

For example, could someone like Wayne Rooney be included in a draft? Even though he plays for United and someone like Chelsea decide to take him for a certain fee or even a free if he is in the draft?

Or are they all lesser players out of contract?

Do players have a say in the team they are joining? etc

2 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Can someone explain how the draft works?

For example, could someone like Wayne Rooney be included in a draft? Even though he plays for United and someone like Chelsea decide to take him for a certain fee or even a free if he is in the draft?

Or are they all lesser players out of contract?

Do players have a say in the team they are joining? etc

Its a completely different system to football.

There are no academies etc. Upon leaving high school, colleges will try and sign the best young players offering them a scholarship. At any year during their tenure at college a player can put himself forward to the draft but usually after they have completed their studies.

Then every April, the NFL hold a draft where basically its like picking sides as school. Each team take a turn in each round with the best players going in round 1. The order of selection is down to how crap you are, with the team with the worst record the previous year going first.

Teams can trade their draft picks to other teams. This could be up drafting or down drafting for a chance of a better player or a more suitable slot for a certain player ( All teams evaluate what round and where in that round a player might be picked)

LA Rams traded their first round pick, their second pick and their second pick for the next few years to up grade to no 1 spot overall so they could get the star QB in the draft.

You dont buy players contracts in the NFL like over here but you could trade a player for one or more of your own and future draft picks.

As with this country, when your contract has expired you are a free agent and can sign for who you want, however like over here, if it is a young player then you can be given draft picks from the team they sign for to compensate.

Players don not have to enter the draft to get into the NFL. If I was good enough and young enough I could put myself forward to training cam ( a trial) where I might be given a contract.

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

There are no academies etc. Upon leaving high school, colleges will try and sign the best young players offering them a scholarship. At any year during their tenure at college a player can put himself forward to the draft but usually after they have completed their studies.

Then every April, the NFL hold a draft where basically its like picking sides as school. Each team take a turn in each round with the best players going in round 1. The order of selection is down to how crap you are, with the team with the worst record the previous year going first.

Teams can trade their draft picks to other teams. This could be up drafting or down drafting for a chance of a better player or a more suitable slot for a certain player ( All teams evaluate what round and where in that round a player might be picked)

LA Rams traded their first round pick, their second pick and their second pick for the next few years to up grade to no 1 spot overall so they could get the star QB in the draft.

You dont buy players contracts in the NFL like over here but you could trade a player for one or more of your own and future draft picks.

As with this country, when your contract has expired you are a free agent and can sign for who you want, however like over here, if it is a young player then you can be given draft picks from the team they sign for to compensate.

Players don not have to enter the draft to get into the NFL. If I was good enough and young enough I could put myself forward to training cam ( a trial) where I might be given a contract.

Thank you for the clarification. I've wondered for the last 3 or 4 years the drafting system. So thank you for clearing it up for me.

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

The only other precursor for entering the draft is that players have to have been out of high school for 3yrs.

@Red_Wizard

Hence the term 'Any given Sunday' is derived from the draft system, that in theory all teams should be equal and that on 'Any given Sunday any NFL team should be able to beat another' a term used by former NFL Commissioner Bert Bell.

In tandem with the salary cap it is the reason you will not get any team dominate for decades at a time like we have in European football.

17 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

So does anyone want to have a guess at why Jaylon Smith went before Myles Jack? @EmersonsRed:fear:

Came out early on yesterday Myles wouldn't be considered at 34.

Look, there's something awfully fishy about this Myles Jack stuff - about 4 hours before the second draft the doctor who looked at Myles Jack's knee months ago came out and said he doesn't need any surgery. Was he too busy to say it 24 hours earlier? Odd. 

Delighted by his pick for him though, they're a danger this year now. 

23 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Came out early on yesterday Myles wouldn't be considered at 34.

Look, there's something awfully fishy about this Myles Jack stuff - about 4 hours before the second draft the doctor who looked at Myles Jack's knee months ago came out and said he doesn't need any surgery. Was he too busy to say it 24 hours earlier? Odd. 

Delighted by his pick for him though, they're a danger this year now. 

Jaylon Smith blew his knee late in the season, will probably miss Sept,Oct and Nov and maybe Dec BUT the doctor who operated on him is also the Cowboys team doctor. So to me the assumption is the Cowboys team Dr. reckons his knee problem isn't anything serious whilst Jack's knee problems are lingering in the backround.

Archived