IGNORED

Nathan Baker

Paul Cheesey

11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Can totally see flint going with him 

And the two of them have been at the heart of, statistically, one of the leakiest defences in the Championship (Villa might offer Baker for Flint instead). We've let in shedloads of goals remember!

At least with Baker's situation it makes part of City's transfer strategy in the summer more straightforward. LJ knows he needs to sign another central defender and there's no point in wasting time considering Baker as an option. 

If he isn't staying but we are interested in Pearce, wouldn't it make sense to play Pearce for the remaining games? If not pearce then perhaps Vyner in his natural position go see if he can get past his last performance, or one of the other youngsters?

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If he isn't staying but we are interested in Pearce, wouldn't it make sense to play Pearce for the remaining games? If not pearce then perhaps Vyner in his natural position go see if he can get past his last performance, or one of the other youngsters?

only when we're safe

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Would have loved him to stay, but new contract at Villa last summer, and I am sure they will pay off the dross that got them relegated. baker will be a main player for them next year, and he clearly wants to play for them. They are a huge club so it is nothing weird. Flint not going there though... If he leaves it will be to the Prem. Lot of interest in the lad. 

I can see us having neither Baker or Flint by the start of next season.

Maybe a whole new CB partnership.

2 hours ago, Super said:

You could say that about any of our players.

Yep, we can only support our badge, our club, our history, our memories and what they all mean to us, adding up to our City...

Players, managers, staff etc will come and go. We don't have that choice. 

The days of an Atyeo, a Tinnion, a Newman, a Murray, a Carey etc are, I fear, long gone...but I hope we will still always have Our Club....

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I know little more than nothing about Mawson, a tad more about Egan, so not gonna say we should be going for them....although they fit the youngster DNA (darn you MA).

I'd be looking at Pearce, as I've said in other threads.  I don't think we've had much chance to see him at his best, unless you went to Leeds, where a fair few people didn't realise he replaced Baker at half-time.

He would be a cheaper option both in terms of fee and wages, and he's got plenty of experience.

I suspect LJ has his list of targets covering whatever eventuality, that a Baker and Flint going.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Apart from a baffling article from Stockhausen a week ago which claimed that we wanted to sign all 5 of our loanees, I haven't seen any indication we are interested in Pearce and although Baker is extremely unlikely to join us, I don't think Pearce will, either.

I have been watching Baker closely recently, and whilst at first I thought he was a 'must sign' player, I think his passion and decision-making are lacking. A lot of these silly errors at the back are his man (I'm thinking Rotherham and Fulham just recently off top of my head). Don't get me wrong I would be happy to sign him, but I think we lack an experienced, commanding type at the back still. 

I know, I know, many have succeeded without, and yes we have had games where we've kept clean sheets etc, but I still think there is a 'ropey' quality at the back still, where we often get caught out with lapses of concentration and defenders out of place. A dictator type will help that big time. The Kompany / Millen / Taylor type. Just think someone who brings a cool head, keeps us regimented. (I thought Pearce may of provided this given the chance!)

Just my opinion before I get battered ;) Sign Matthews and Tomlin.....much more important I think

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Apart from a baffling article from Stockhausen a week ago which claimed that we wanted to sign all 5 of our loanees, I haven't seen any indication we are interested in Pearce and although Baker is extremely unlikely to join us, I don't think Pearce will, either.

I think LJ rates Pearce from interviews he's given, and we have a decent chance of signing him. He hasn't played since Baker and Flint have been so outstanding but he's probably better than anyone else we'll have in that position with the exception of Flint. Since we'll need a bigger squad anyway with the loan rules changing I wouldn't be surprised if we make a bid for Pearce (Derby apparently don't want him).

Surprised to find on reading through this topic that nobody even mentions Derek Williams. Currently out of favour, but a good player in my opinion and quite capable of doing a job. Not disputing we may need more cover if Baker doesn't stay, but Williams seems to have been dismissed or totally forgotten by some, which strikes me as rather harsh.

57 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Surprised to find on reading through this topic that nobody even mentions Derek Williams. Currently out of favour, but a good player in my opinion and quite capable of doing a job. Not disputing we may need more cover if Baker doesn't stay, but Williams seems to have been dismissed or totally forgotten by some, which strikes me as rather harsh.

I agree, he's been very unlucky this year

Baker is quite clearly a class act at this level, BUT I can't help thinking that if we're going to spend big bucks on a centre half, we'd perhaps be better off getting a ball-player in to complement Flint. Baker is excellent at what he does, but as a footballer he's fairly limited. Given the high wages and multi-million quid fee that it would take to get him, I kind of feel we'd be better off looking around for an option that suits our needs a little better 

2 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

? Baker is head and hoof. You kind of contradicted yourself above.

But agree a ball player to compliment Flint would be good.

No I haven't. Physical, no-nonsense defenders are an asset at our level, but we already have one who's permanently contracted, likely considerably cheaper than Baker and a bit of a legend round BS3 parts. Baker is an excellent championship defender, but not necessarily the type of player we need of we're spending big bucks. Just because a defender isn't the bastard son of Maldini, Moore and Sammer doesn't mean they're not a 'class act'- especially away from the highest levels

Archived