IGNORED

Recruitment...young and hungry...

spudski

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/young-and-hungry-players-wanted-johnson-3059748.aspx#e5R5BiZsc4jslGXg.99

Love the comment about recruiting players that love football...and not just about loving being a footballer.

I'm sure all the recruitment staff are working their socks off now finding talent for next season.

Can't see much flying to match's over the summer tbh...apart from the development tournaments.

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I've heard this before...

Obviously it's becoming a bit of a cliche 'young and hungry' but I believe it with LJ. Look at his Barnsley signings, plenty of young guys or those with a bit of a point to prove.. Mawson, Hammill, Hourihane to name but 3 meet those criteria

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I've heard this before...

Unfortunately you're right, as we've had lots of good words over the years.  What has been proven this season is, to survive in the Championship, City need players with experience of playing at this level.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign some young players, possibly from lower leagues, but if all the summer signing were like this it would be another relegation fight next season. I'd like City to sign Mathews and Tomlin, neither of whom are young and hungry, if you ignore Tomlin's like of pies.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/young-and-hungry-players-wanted-johnson-3059748.aspx#e5R5BiZsc4jslGXg.99

Love the comment about recruiting players that love football...and not just about loving being a footballer.

I'm sure all the recruitment staff are working their socks off now finding talent for next season.

Can't see much flying to match's over the summer tbh...apart from the development tournaments.

What could be another big positive for us, is as LJ states, he's been in the situation here where we made the wrong signings to upset the dynamics of the squad, so he will be very aware of what damage can be caused by this & that will put him in a good position regarding making sure he gets the right players in.

And by doing this, it all sounds very positive that we will have a squad of footballing players, rather than what has sometimes seemed the case where we have ended up with people who have been lucky enough to have their profession as a footballer but are only really in it for the money they can make, rather than the enjoyment they get out of playing the game for the love of it & the extra bonus being paid for the joy of it too & that way they will respect what they do even more.

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately you're right, as we've had lots of good words over the years.  What has been proven this season is, to survive in the Championship, City need players with experience of playing at this level.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign some young players, possibly from lower leagues, but if all the summer signing were like this it would be another relegation fight next season. I'd like City to sign Mathews and Tomlin, neither of whom are young and hungry, if you ignore Tomlin's like of pies.

Both of those players could be described as 'hungry' - no silly jokes about Tomlin. Both have had failed moves and will want to settle into playing again. Both have a bit of a point to prove as they could both be as strong as any players in their position in this league. 

"it’s crucial we bring in players who are in love with football, and not just in love with being a footballer".

His dad used to say the exact same thing and it's pretty important. He clearly knows what he's looking for, which is good, but he's right to say it's going to be difficult to find those players. He says things like "it's going to be a massive summer" and it's easy to read that as meaning there will be a lot of recruitment but I think it's more the case that it's going to be a massively difficult summer. I hope for all our sakes that it goes better than the last one.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously it's becoming a bit of a cliche 'young and hungry' but I believe it with LJ. Look at his Barnsley signings, plenty of young guys or those with a bit of a point to prove.. Mawson, Hammill, Hourihane to name but 3 meet those criteria

And Cotterill - Freeman, Smith, Williams, Ayling... And then last summer?

Hopefully things have changed now Ashton is here, January certainly suggests so and let's hope it continues.

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Yes, good point. This season has been saved by bringing in, presumably at great cost, players from Villa, Bournemouth, Stoke and Sunderland. Men with beards. Not by plucking promising talent on low wages with bum fluff.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What could be another big positive for us, is as LJ states, he's been in the situation here where we made the wrong signings to upset the dynamics of the squad, so he will be very aware of what damage can be caused by this & that will put him in a good position regarding making sure he gets the right players in.

And by doing this, it all sounds very positive that we will have a squad of footballing players, rather than what has sometimes seemed the case where we have ended up with people who have been lucky enough to have their profession as a footballer but are only really in it for the money they can make, rather than the enjoyment they get out of playing the game for the love of it & the extra bonus being paid for the joy of it too & that way they will respect what they do even more.

Indeed...harmony is needed.

Nothing worse in training, than having players go through the motions and not being hungry to impress and improve.

I remember being privy to a conversation, where David James said to another player... 'Apart from the money, I have no idea why you are a footballer...you have no interest in it at all'. To which the player replied...'Apart from you...neither has anyone else in this squad'.

Hard for many fans to understand...as we'd all love to be pro footballers...but for many footballers, it becomes just a job and the passion dwindles.

Was nice to hear Goldbourne say recently that LJ's training was the best he'd ever had and that it was refreshing. Had to make them think.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nothing worse in training, than having players go through the motions and not being hungry to impress and improve.

I remember being privy to a conversation, where David James said to another player... 'Apart from the money, I have no idea why you are a footballer...you have no interest in it at all'. To which the player replied...'Apart from you...neither is anyone else in this squad'.

Hard for many fans to understand...as we'd all love to be pro footballers...but for many footballers, it becomes just a job and the passion dwindles.

Was nice to hear Goldbourne say recently that LJ's training was the best he'd ever had and that it was refreshing. Had to make them think.

Everything that we seem to be hearing that is coming out of the club seems very positive.

Last summer, us as fans were positive & had high hopes for the coming season but the noises being made with regards to our attempted recruitment was one that seemed to say that players didn't want to sign at Bristol City Football Club (Gray, Gayle, Clough & I'd assume there were other players we had attempted to sign) but the noises now being made seem to say that there are other criteria that will be required to become a footballer at Bristol City Football Club & that we won't be just throwing money at people to earn a living as a footballer here!!

15 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

"it’s crucial we bring in players who are in love with football, and not just in love with being a footballer".

His dad used to say the exact same thing and it's pretty important. He clearly knows what he's looking for, which is good, but he's right to say it's going to be difficult to find those players. He says things like "it's going to be a massive summer" and it's easy to read that as meaning there will be a lot of recruitment but I think it's more the case that it's going to be a massively difficult summer. I hope for all our sakes that it goes better than the last one.

Realistically it can't be any worse, can it! MA and LJ will no doubt pull out all the stops to recruit the right "blend" of hunger and experience this summer. As we've seen before, "old heads" such as Elliot and Wilbs are as essential to the squad as much as the young guns. 

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

I remember being privy to a conversation, where David James said to another player... 'Apart from the money, I have no idea why you are a footballer...you have no interest in it at all'. To which the player replied...'Apart from you...neither has anyone else in this squad'.

Blimey, you get about don't you..! Always got a story..:shifty:

23 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

And Cotterill - Freeman, Smith, Williams, Ayling... And then last summer?

Hopefully things have changed now Ashton is here, January certainly suggests so and let's hope it continues.

Exactly, and it got us promotion. Last summer we didn't equal this. Simeone made a quote the other night after beating Barcelona about mentality being so important and I agree. Our double season coincided with us bringing in the likes of Freeman, Ayling, Smith etc who all had the right mentality and we all saw the results of that.

I'm not expecting promotion next season necessarily but if we get the mentality of our signings right it'll help us in the future.

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Rumours about saying that we are in for Hammill

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Realistically it can't be any worse, can it! MA and LJ will no doubt pull out all the stops to recruit the right "blend" of hunger and experience this summer. As we've seen before, "old heads" such as Elliot and Wilbs are as essential to the squad as much as the young guns. 

Like the old supporters, we all play a part. Relax, all will be well.

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

No. And it ought to be slightly easier to attract players with the club having survived a season in the division and completed the stadium renovations. But we still need to recruit half a dozen players who have the ability, the right character and realistic wage demands. It's going to be very, very difficult to get right.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, and it got us promotion. Last summer we didn't equal this. Simeone made a quote the other night after beating Barcelona about mentality being so important and I agree. Our double season coincided with us bringing in the likes of Freeman, Ayling, Smith etc who all had the right mentality and we all saw the results of that.

I'm not expecting promotion next season necessarily but if we get the mentality of our signings right it'll help us in the future.

Spot on we need mental signings .

22 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I like the rhetoric coming out of AG right now, just hope that MA and LJ back it up, we just cannot afford another cluster**** like last summer

Don't think we will. The board and management seem to get on much better now - I also predict LJ will be allowed more freedom with wages and perhaps a couple of big deals to sell season tickets.

Archived