IGNORED

Recruitment...young and hungry...

spudski

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously it's becoming a bit of a cliche 'young and hungry' but I believe it with LJ. Look at his Barnsley signings, plenty of young guys or those with a bit of a point to prove.. Mawson, Hammill, Hourihane to name but 3 meet those criteria

At 28, I wouldn't describe Hammill as "young"

43 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Blimey, you get about don't you..! Always got a story..:shifty:

More to do with people I know who work in the game, rather than what I do. That old saying...'it's who you know, rather than what you know' applies in this case. ;-)

55 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed...harmony is needed.

Nothing worse in training, than having players go through the motions and not being hungry to impress and improve.

I remember being privy to a conversation, where David James said to another player... 'Apart from the money, I have no idea why you are a footballer...you have no interest in it at all'. To which the player replied...'Apart from you...neither has anyone else in this squad'.

Hard for many fans to understand...as we'd all love to be pro footballers...but for many footballers, it becomes just a job and the passion dwindles.

Was nice to hear Goldbourne say recently that LJ's training was the best he'd ever had and that it was refreshing. Had to make them think.

Interesting to hear but the club website have always seemed to be able to reel out a City player to give similar gushing praise to just about about every new manager we've had.

There's also the novelty value of a new manager and his training methods of course, with the risk of sessions getting ever more stale once the player has trained under him for a long time and that novelty inevitably wears off.

In Goldbourne's case it looks like he's comparing LJ favourably to LJ's own Dad (City manager when the club sold him) Millen, Coppell, Tisdale and McCarthy amongst others.

No doubt SG means it, but I suppose no current City player is ever going to come out and say training was better at a previous club even if they felt it was. Not the best way to keep in your current manager's good books, far better to wait til you move on and can heap unbridled praise on your next manager.

Good PR for LJ though, as similar comments were for several former managers.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting to hear but the club website have always seemed to be able to reel out a City player to give similar gushing praise to just about about every new manager we've had.

There's also the novelty value of a new manager and his training methods of course, with the risk of sessions getting ever more stale once the player has trained under him for a long time and that novelty inevitably wears off.

In Goldbourne's case it looks like he's comparing LJ favourably to LJ's own Dad (City manager when the club sold him) Millen, Coppell, Tisdale and McCarthy amongst others.

No doubt SG means it, but I suppose no current City player is ever going to come out and say training was better at a previous club even if they felt it was. Not the best way to keep in your current manager's good books, far better to wait til you move on and can heap unbridled praise on your next manager.

You really don't like LJ do you...

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't think there was really, I remember similar comments about McInness though. Maybe as two young managers, they are using new techniques. I know LJ has been using drone footage watching movement and formations over the training ground for example, pretty innovative.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I remember being privy to a conversation, where David James said to another player... 'Apart from the money, I have no idea why you are a footballer...you have no interest in it at all'. To which the player replied...'Apart from you.... neither has anyone else in this squad'.

....no wonder the World Cup was such a **** up! ;)

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously it's becoming a bit of a cliche 'young and hungry' but I believe it with LJ. Look at his Barnsley signings, plenty of young guys or those with a bit of a point to prove.. Mawson, Hammill, Hourihane to name but 3 meet those criteria

Hourihane was signed by Danny Wilson

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

FYI spudski I don't dislike LJ at all... I may not like him quite as much as you do, but the esteem you hold him in would be hard to emulate. 

I'm simply pointing out players giving such high praise to new managers at AG is not unique to LJ.

Do respond to that, if you want to.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're absolutely right. But don't ruin the fun!

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

FYI spudski I don't dislike LJ at all... I may not like him quite as much as you do, but the esteem you hold him in would be hard to emulate. 

I'm simply pointing out players giving such high praise to new managers at AG is not unique to LJ.

Do respond to that, if you want to.

I think it's more to do with the negative vibe in general...rather than this one post.

I agree about praise of new managers...but it wasn't a prompted quote by Goldbourne...he didn't have to say it...more that he was enjoying his time here since arriving, and gave a reason as to why.

We can pull apart anything the Club puts out.

'Same old' or 'Hashed' comments...and people find something negative to say...or do something more like MA did recently....and again more negative comments.

The Club can't win...damned if they do, damned if the don't.

And people wonder why Football is such a closed shop to the fans and public.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Shocking, isn't it spud, how some people just won't give a coach a chance. They can't help but show their antipathy in every post, defending their position repeatedly despite the evidence on the pitch to the contrary that's so obvious to the rest of us. I expect that Nogbad will still be banging on about LJ long after he's gone. I don't know what gets into these people......... 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Love the comment about recruiting players that love football...and not just about loving being a footballer.

That's the comment that stood out for me too.  He really talks well, just like his dad.  Expect OTIB to be in meltdown with all the speculation about signing over the summer.

I also feel that the board will feel more confident backing LJ than Cotts.  Feels like there's more trust there and LJ is definitely more vocal in his support for the five pillars.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Hard for many fans to understand...as we'd all love to be pro footballers...but for many footballers, it becomes just a job and the passion dwindles.

One of my mates played top flight football (just before the Prem era), then played a full season in the second tier, but when that team was relegated he didn't take up an offer of a new contract, he went and studied so he could change career.

Pro-Football wasn't the be-all and end-all for him.  He also didn't want to slug around the bottom two tiers.  Sounds arrogant, but he ended up playing for a Souther a League side whilst studying, earning very good money, and then went into a career in Law.  He enjoyed playing, but disliked the daily (or half-daily :shifty:) grind of training in the morning, pub, bookies with the same 15/16 people.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I think it's more to do with the negative vibe in general...rather than this one post.

I agree about praise of new managers...but it wasn't a prompted quote by Goldbourne...he didn't have to say it...more that he was enjoying his time here since arriving, and gave a reason as to why.

Glad to hear it

So let's take the latest in a long list of examples with a pinch of salt and not look to give it more importance than it deserves.

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I wasn't quoting you in the context of football though.... But 28 is not 'young' for a footballer.

Clearly 28 in any normal context is not old, however, your post of "I would" never came with any context......... I was commenting on Adam Hammill not being "young" as we are on a football forum talking about a footballer!

Your second point appears to concur with exactly what I was saying :blink: 

How would people feel about Hourihane(sp?)? 

I rate him, think his cultured left foot in the middle alongside Smith would be superb. 

Hammill would be interesting. I feel we lack genuine wingers with lace that get at their man. Though I'm dreaming of a Matthews and Adomah right hand side! 

2 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

How would people feel about Hourihane(sp?)? 

I rate him, think his cultured left foot in the middle alongside Smith would be superb. 

Hammill would be interesting. I feel we lack genuine wingers with lace that get at their man. Though I'm dreaming of a Matthews and Adomah right hand side! 

We should have bought him from Plymouth years ago along with Curtis Nelson.

Archived