IGNORED

Lee Johnson

redredrobin5

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You forgot to mention: the same core of players...but with a handful of top-quality additions who've made all the difference.

For whatever reason, Steve Cotterill didn't have those players. Maybe (as has been rumoured) he fell out with Lansdown and wasn't given the funding for the players he wanted. Maybe Keith Burt wasn't cutting it. Maybe certain agents didn't like him. There was certainly SOMETHING amiss, because he seemed pissed off in his interviews even before the season started. I'm not saying SC shouldn't shoulder most of the blame, but to insinuate that LJ is a better manager than SC based on percentages is a simplistic view in my opinion.

And you can't underestimate the influence of Mark Ashton's appointment on Lee Johnson's success.

Great post, deserves more than a 'like' from me.

i will always be grateful to Cotts, and from his meticulous planning over the summer of 14, I can't believe everything was his fault in summer of 15 from what we"d seen before.  Not saying some of it isn't though, I was disappointed at his apparent petulance come the end...but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes.

The additional class of Tomlin (wasn't he on Cotts list too), Matthews and Odemwingie has had a major impact....and also well done LJ for what he's done since he's come in, Pembo and Wade too.

I am a #cottsfan, but not blinkered.  I would certainly buy him a pint if I bumped into him, and would love to spend an hour in his company, talking footie, as much as Johnson.

Anyone who thinks this summer window is going to be easy is mistaken.  The removal of the emergency loan will have a big impact.  I'm looking forward to seeing how LJ/MA work this through.  Assuming survival, we are a club on the up, but we aren't a big fish with a parachute (there's an image) and expect players to spurn us for other clubs. 

What we do know is how NOT To do a transfer window!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Great post, deserves more than a 'like' from me.

i will always be grateful to Cotts, and from his meticulous planning over the summer of 14, I can't believe everything was his fault in summer of 15 from what we"d seen before.  Not saying some of it isn't though, I was disappointed at his apparent petulance come the end...but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes.

The additional class of Tomlin (wasn't he on Cotts list too), Matthews and Odemwingie has had a major impact....and also well done LJ for what he's done since he's come in, Pembo and Wade too.

I am a #cottsfan, but not blinkered.  I would certainly buy him a pint if I bumped into him, and would love to spend an hour in his company, talking footie, as much as Johnson.

Anyone who thinks this summer window is going to be easy is mistaken.  The removal of the emergency loan will have a big impact.  I'm looking forward to seeing how LJ/MA work this through.  Assuming survival, we are a club on the up, but we aren't a big fish with a parachute (there's an image) and expect players to spurn us for other clubs. 

What we do know is how NOT To do a transfer window!

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

You forgot to mention: the same core of players...but with a handful of top-quality additions who've made all the difference.

For whatever reason, Steve Cotterill didn't have those players. Maybe (as has been rumoured) he fell out with Lansdown and wasn't given the funding for the players he wanted. Maybe Keith Burt wasn't cutting it. Maybe certain agents didn't like him. There was certainly SOMETHING amiss, because he seemed pissed off in his interviews even before the season started. I'm not saying SC shouldn't shoulder most of the blame, but to insinuate that LJ is a better manager than SC based on percentages is a simplistic view in my opinion.

And you can't underestimate the influence of Mark Ashton's appointment on Lee Johnson's success.

SC was backed by SL, we were in with multi-pound bids for players in both the summer and January for SC, he was backed. What went wrong with some of these signings has been discussed till the cows came home and went back out again, but bottom line, no one knows for sure, outside the boardroom. My gut feeling is had SC been "stitched up" by the board over the summer, he would have discussed it interviews or to the press to save his reputation after leaving. He wasn't backwards in coming forwards to the press, so his 'silence' speaks more than words to me.  

Regardless, those players you were talking about? Cotts had his fair share of loan players, several of which he didn't seem to want to use anyway, i.e Cox.

Golbourne - he wouldn't have signed or played as he was sticking to wing backs.

Matthews - See above, and he had Bennett, don't forget.

Odemwingie - Came much later and was a 'Johnson' signing.

So really we are only talking Tomlin here.

And don't forget one VERY important factor, SC had our player of the season fit for the time he was here, LJ has had to do without him for, what, 5 plus important games?

So I see it as Johnson had Tomlin and Cotterill had Korey.

To prove that point - Compare the starting line up's of the team vs Preston (SC last game) to vs Brentford last weekend, was only three players different, Tomlin, and Golbourne/Matthews - who he wouldn't have played.

I'm not sure I insinuated LJ is a better manager, but what I can say is, very simply, success in football is judged on results. And simply put, LJ's results, so far, have been a vast improvement on anything SC achieved in this league. And more importantly, LJ has breathed life into the team, the performance against Wednesday for example, with players like Bryan, Pack, Flint and even Wilbraham, who underachieved under SC looking like different players.

EDIT - Can't imagine LJ turning to argue with his own fans either. Total loss of respect.

Was working at Ashton gate last summer was told by a  member of staff down there that sc had the start of his falling out with SL when he gave him a list of 6 players to target then went on holiday .when we came back nothing had happened and we got none of the 6 didn't even come close

13 hours ago, pjg11 said:

Was working at Ashton gate last summer was told by a  member of staff down there that sc had the start of his falling out with SL when he gave him a list of 6 players to target then went on holiday .when we came back nothing had happened and we got none of the 6 didn't even come close

If Cotts' idea of recruiting is to give a list of players to the club's owner - not even an employee - then **** off on holiday then no wonder it was such a shambles.

Fortunately,  I think this is a total fairy tale.

On 18 April 2016 at 06:15, redredrobin5 said:

with how he's turned this club around, i see very little plaudits from people on here about that. If we'd have got in Pearson, Moyes or someone of that reputation he'd be a messiah now, but LJ just seems to get ignored, to a degree?

I don't post often, im more of a pick and choose what i read, but the guy has turned us around since we got here and doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves, on line. I also don't attend enough games to witness how the fans are with him on match days, but im sure he's respected, just don't see it on here.

Cotterill, when he joined us after o'disaster, he was the Man....what about Lee!!!!!!!!!!!??

Sorry mate, but I don't get this premature complacency. Not having a go at you individually, there have been lots of threads assuming we've moved on and assuming we are safe.

We are in 21st place in the division, is that really 'turning the club around'??! 

Yep we are likely to stay up, but only just.

I reckon we'd have done that under Pembo and Wade.

Not having a go at LJ at all, it was a brave move to take on the job after our start to the season but there has been no miracle here and we haven't moved on much. We are 21st in the table...its been a pretty miserable season

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sorry mate, but I don't get this premature complacency. Not having a go at you individually, there have been lots of threads assuming we've moved on and assuming we are safe.

We are in 21st place in the division, is that really 'turning the club around'??! 

Not having a go at LJ at all, it was a brave move to take on the job after our start to the season but there has been no miracle here and we haven't moved on much. We are 21st in the table...its been a pretty miserable season

Only just stay up? We're as close to 11th as relegation, at half time it was 8th. Deserves massive credit. 

On 18 April 2016 at 22:09, Alessandro said:

SC was backed by SL, we were in with multi-pound bids for players in both the summer and January for SC, he was backed. What went wrong with some of these signings has been discussed till the cows came home and went back out again, but bottom line, no one knows for sure, outside the boardroom. My gut feeling is had SC been "stitched up" by the board over the summer, he would have discussed it interviews or to the press to save his reputation after leaving. He wasn't backwards in coming forwards to the press, so his 'silence' speaks more than words to me.  

Regardless, those players you were talking about? Cotts had his fair share of loan players, several of which he didn't seem to want to use anyway, i.e Cox.

Golbourne - he wouldn't have signed or played as he was sticking to wing backs.

Matthews - See above, and he had Bennett, don't forget.

Odemwingie - Came much later and was a 'Johnson' signing.

So really we are only talking Tomlin here.

And don't forget one VERY important factor, SC had our player of the season fit for the time he was here, LJ has had to do without him for, what, 5 plus important games?

So I see it as Johnson had Tomlin and Cotterill had Korey.

To prove that point - Compare the starting line up's of the team vs Preston (SC last game) to vs Brentford last weekend, was only three players different, Tomlin, and Golbourne/Matthews - who he wouldn't have played.

I'm not sure I insinuated LJ is a better manager, but what I can say is, very simply, success in football is judged on results. And simply put, LJ's results, so far, have been a vast improvement on anything SC achieved in this league. And more importantly, LJ has breathed life into the team, the performance against Wednesday for example, with players like Bryan, Pack, Flint and even Wilbraham, who underachieved under SC looking like different players.

EDIT - Can't imagine LJ turning to argue with his own fans either. Total loss of respect.

He did it at least twice as a player.

On 19/04/2016 at 21:50, BS4 on Tour... said:

Premature complacency? Its not just us who know we are as good as safe. The bookies closed betting on relegation too. Barring a miracle for MK Dons they well go down. We are in 21st but under LJ have produced top 6 results, and as someone else pointed out, at half time yesterday we were 16th in the live tables and as close to 8th as we were to relegation. That is a bloody dramatic turn around from where we were.

Some of the reasoning on here astounds me...

Since SC left, we have produced results that are mid table to play off standard.

What do people expect...a new manager to come in and all of a sudden produce Promotion type form and results.

At some points since LJ's tenure, we have in fact been top of the form tables...when you think about the turn around in results and form, it's very good.

Do certain fans think we could have brought in another manager, and produced top two type form with the players we have, and one's available to loan in?

If so...you imo, are completely bonkers.

I'm not saying another manager couldn't have turned us around, and it's not just down to LJ...but to have produced the results we have, regardless of who is in charge since SC left...would be considered doing a very good job.

14 minutes ago, City169 said:

Premature complacency? Its not just us who know we are as good as safe. The bookies closed betting on relegation too. Barring a miracle for MK Dons they well go down. We are in 21st but under LJ have produced top 6 results, and as someone else pointed out, at half time yesterday we were 16th in the live tables and as close to 8th as we were to relegation. That is a bloody dramatic turn around from where we were.

Fair enough mate, when Cotterill left we were 22nd in the table, we are now 21st - "a bloody dramatic turn around from where we were"....

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough mate, when Cotterill left we were 22nd in the table, we are now 21st - "a bloody dramatic turn around from where we were"....

We were battling relegation and (even to me) looking like we were going down. Like I said before, barring a disaster, not just by us, but an MK team with 1 win in 12 then winning all 3 of their games we're safe

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Some of the reasoning on here astounds me...

Since SC left, we have produced results that are mid table to play off standard.

What do people expect...a new manager to come in and all of a sudden produce Promotion type form and results.

At some points since LJ's tenure, we have in fact been top of the form tables...when you think about the turn around in results and form, it's very good.

Do certain fans think we could have brought in another manager, and produced top two type form with the players we have, and one's available to loan in?

If so...you imo, are completely bonkers.

I'm not saying another manager couldn't have turned us around, and it's not just down to LJ...but to have produced the results we have, regardless of who is in charge since SC left...would be considered doing a very good job.

I'd say some would only of been happy if he had managed to get us into an automatic promotion spot & as he hasn't, he's rubbish & should be burned on a cross on the dog walkers paradise at Ashton Vale!!

It seems that some on here really need a serious reality check & to realise exactly where we are on the football pyramid!!

And realise that we are actually a club on the up!!

It could be a lot worse, we could be in Villa's, Bolton's, Charlton's, Leeds, Blackpool's, Blackburn's & maybe you could even put Newcastle in that bracket too, all clubs in a right mess that have / are being run very badly!!

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's one way to look at it.

Another way, is 4 wins in 26 up to and including the Preston game. 8 wins in 17 since.

Or, another is, after losing at home to Preston, we were third bottom, two points behind mk. 3 behind Rotherham, 6 behind Fulham, 8 behind Blackburn and 11 behind Forest. So, we've done some catching up (and a bit of over-taking) since that Preston game.

17 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I'd say some would only of been happy if he had managed to get us into an automatic promotion spot & as he hasn't, he's rubbish & should be burned on a cross on the dog walkers paradise at Ashton Vale!!

It seems that some on here really need a serious reality check & to realise exactly where we are on the football pyramid!!

And realise that we are actually a club on the up!!

It could be a lot worse, we could be in Villa's, Bolton's, Charlton's, Leeds, Blackpool's, Blackburn's & maybe you could even put Newcastle in that bracket too, all clubs in a right mess that have / are being run very badly!!

That sort of thing has gone on, and will continue to go on, irrespective of which manager is or has been appointed.

No group of fans (City fans are no different to most others, apart from calling each other cnuts, but let's not go there again) will be 100% happy with a managerial appointment.

As we've seen with the last 2 appointments, fans get attached to the current incumbent and can't seem to find it in themselves to give the replacement a chance, or much credit.

SC was getting plenty of flak on here for a good few months after he joined us, despite the results moving us up the table and away from a potential second successive relegation. Posters criticised his style of play, signings, the fact he wore a gold chain (no I'm not joking) and how he sounded! Yet those that are happy to see the back of SC are going to back LJ to the hilt, points on the board are all that count now, whereas the same remit under SC didn't seem to apply. (Style an oft used stick to beat him with, despite evidence to the contrary)

Likewise, those that took SC to their hearts are looking to pounce on any negative under LJ. Results have been largely improved since he came here, but it won't stop some from proclaiming us to be 'worse under Johnson' or whatever.

The fact remains LJ has been here a very short time and hasn't had a full transfer window to work in yet. It's difficult to judge the bloke with somebody elses players, but some will do just that. People who have had their nose put out of joint by either SC's sacking or LJ's arrival in place of a preferred candidate will only start giving the guy some credit or kudos, if we do well. SC had the same, plenty of detractors until it looked pretty much nailed on we'd get promotion, LJ won't have it any different, and nor will the bloke after LJ.

I don't blame our ex-managers, because they all seem to find their feet at some point directly after leaving us.

• Millen: Back to Crystal Palace, where they love him enough to keep him during three different managerial reigns.
  • McInnes: Went back to Scotland and worked wonders, and later on revealed issues within the Bristol City board. He's again touted for Championship jobs.
  • SOD: Landed a cushy job with the FA, and ended up becoming the AssMan of Rodgers at Liverpool. He's managing again, but personally I can see him joining up with Rodgers again should he take another Premier League role.

None of them are bad managers/coaches. They've proved so after leaving Bristol City. If LJ fails the blame should fully lie on the board.

6 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I don't blame our ex-managers, because they all seem to find their feet at some point directly after leaving us.

• Millen: Back to Crystal Palace, where they love him enough to keep him during three different managerial reigns.
  • McInnes: Went back to Scotland and worked wonders, and later on revealed issues within the Bristol City board. He's again touted for Championship jobs.
  • SOD: Landed a cushy job with the FA, and ended up becoming the AssMan of Rodgers at Liverpool. He's managing again, but personally I can see him joining up with Rodgers again should he take another Premier League role.

None of them are bad managers/coaches. They've proved so after leaving Bristol City. If LJ fails the blame should fully lie on the board.

Didn't SOD fail appallingly at Walsall? Managing to take them from automatic promotion to struggling for play-offs? Think they've recovered somewhat since he's been sacked and are in the auto race again.

The board and fans probably weren't smart enough to see his plans....

1 minute ago, Son Of Nob said:

Didn't SOD fail appallingly at Walsall? Managing to take them from automatic promotion to struggling for play-offs? Think they've recovered somewhat since he's been sacked and are in the auto race again.

The board and fans probably weren't smart enough to see his plans....

He certainly did, but failure happens. He at least found some success by landing the Liverpool job.

• Admin

Interesting article in the Bristol Post today:

Bristol City majority shareholder Steve Lansdown has described the decision to appoint Lee Johnson as head coach as “bold and farsighted”

Many City fans questioned the wisdom of selecting a 34-year-old with no previous managerial experience in the Championship to succeed Steve Cotterill back in January.

But the doubters have been silenced by a revival in fortunes which saw the Robins clamber out of the relegation zone and secure their Championship status with something to spare.

City's board of directors could have sought a short-term solution to the problem, rather in the way fellow strugglers Rotherham did when bringing in veteran campaigner Neil Warnock to save them from the drop.

They instead remained true to their long-term principles of developing the club along sustainable lines and are now reaping the rewards.

Having played an integral role in the recruitment of Johnson, Lansdown, pictured, told the Bristol Post: "It was a bold and farsighted decision on our part to keep the long term principle in mind when we were facing relegation.

"I'm delighted we did that, because we have made so much progress in the past few months, that I feel we are going into the summer in a good place to take it forward. The business of this football club is to focus on development of younger players, to recruit young players and to get the best team we possibly can on the pitch.

"In Mark (Ashton) and Lee, we have two young men who are enthusiastic and know what we want to achieve."

City were in the bottom three and deep in trouble when Johnson's appointment was officially announced on February 6. But the former Oldham and Barnsley boss, who spent nearly six years at Ashton Gate as a player, engineered an impressive turnaround in fortunes, presiding over seven wins, three draws and six defeats to guide City to safety.

Lansdown added: "I think the board deserve a lot of credit, but then so does Lee for the way in which he has come in and taken on the position.

"He has come home to a club he knows well, has got straight into the beef of it and created a healthy atmosphere about the place. We're playing some good football and we've achieved our objective, which was to stay in the Championship, and we did it with two games to go. When he first came in, we could not have expected that, so full marks to him."

In explaining how Johnson came to land the job ahead of several high-profile candidates who were touted in the media, Lansdown revealed he and chairman Keith Dawe had always had it in mind to employ him at some stage.

He said: "We'd known Lee a long time and he played for this club for six years. He's a very intelligent guy, who gets information from every source he can to further his career.

"Keith Dawe and myself had always been in contact with him, even during the time he was at Oldham and Barnsley. He had always been on our radar as somebody we might want to bring to the football club at some time in the future.

"When the opportunity arose, we obviously thought of him and wondered whether it might not be a bit too soon for him. He convinced us it would not be and gave an impressive interview.

"We gave Mark Ashton a brief to go and talk to Lee Johnson and he came back full of enthusiasm. The rest, as they say, is history."

Fair play to Steve, it was a bold decision to go for LJ, from an outsider looking in perspective. And it has worked so far. Credit where it is due. A good call. More big calls to come though.

I get the sense from that, that SL was quite stung by all the flack up to and including Cotts' dismissal and then the recruitment of LJ. And he has come out here, a few guns blazing and blowing his own trumpet. And why not. He must be mightily relieved that the completed ground development has not coincided with a return to L1 football.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Fair play to Steve, it was a bold decision to go for LJ, from an outsider looking in perspective. And it has worked so far. Credit where it is due. A good call. More big calls to come though.

I get the sense from that, that SL was quite stung by all the flack up to and including Cotts' dismissal and then the recruitment of LJ. And he has come out here, a few guns blazing and blowing his own trumpet. And why not. He must be mightily relieved that the completed ground development has not coincided with a return to L1 football.

If one never makes controversial decisions in life, one rarely if ever, comes out of it smelling of roses. Steve Lansdown must be a bit of a gambler to have made such a fortune from financial advice and management. He has lost out at City in the past but surely has learnt from his mistakes.

The heady days of last season may never be repeated in my lifetime and for them I will always be grateful to Steve Cotterill.  However, with Lee Johnson, we have a new kid on the block who may, because of his tender years as a football manager, be interested in change and looking at different ideas in a way that a fifty years Steve Cotterill would not.

It's not a moan about SL or trying to promote LJ but youth has a habit of being rebellious and looking for alternatives. If it works for Lee then he could become a real legend in City history because with 80% of the stadium rebuilt, a much restructured club and finances and, importantly, an Academy that is now producing potential first team regulars, he has a brilliant opportunity to take City to places we have only dreamt about for more than forty years.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If one never makes controversial decisions in life, one rarely if ever, comes out of it smelling of roses. Steve Lansdown must be a bit of a gambler to have made such a fortune from financial advice and management. He has lost out at City in the past but surely has learnt from his mistakes.

The heady days of last season may never be repeated in my lifetime and for them I will always be grateful to Steve Cotterill.  However, with Lee Johnson, we have a new kid on the block who may, because of his tender years as a football manager, be interested in change and looking at different ideas in a way that a fifty years Steve Cotterill would not.

It's not a moan about SL or trying to promote LJ but youth has a habit of being rebellious and looking for alternatives. If it works for Lee then he could become a real legend in City history because with 80% of the stadium rebuilt, a much restructured club and finances and, importantly, an Academy that is now producing potential first team regulars, he has a brilliant opportunity to take City to places we have only dreamt about for more than forty years.

Good post .

To be honest I'm absolutely ecstatic that he has done such a good job so far. I said when we appointed him that I was very excited about him and also believe Cotts was very lucky to get as long as he did. 

We have been fantastic under LJ, the football has been much better and although we have had poor performances, we have very much improved in general and alongside this, the development of some players has been astronomical. Marlon Pack being one of the the standouts. 

The youth are being given more of a chance and more exposure of first team football.

For me, the club have taken massive strides forward in the past 3 months or so under LJ and I am now excited to see what the summer brings and next season!

Also a mention must go to JP and WE who were great during the small spell they had. 

Archived