IGNORED

Lee Johnson

redredrobin5

with how he's turned this club around, i see very little plaudits from people on here about that. If we'd have got in Pearson, Moyes or someone of that reputation he'd be a messiah now, but LJ just seems to get ignored, to a degree?

I don't post often, im more of a pick and choose what i read, but the guy has turned us around since we got here and doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves, on line. I also don't attend enough games to witness how the fans are with him on match days, but im sure he's respected, just don't see it on here.

Cotterill, when he joined us after o'disaster, he was the Man....what about Lee!!!!!!!!!!!??

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The fact that we are going to a Brentford team who won 3 in a row and are disappointed with the display, even though we were as good as them, and of course nearly won it, goes to show how far we have come under Johnson. The Wednesday first half was the best football I've seen this season. He has completely transformed us. But at the same time, he sees weaknesses that he will be looking to put right in the summer.

The Wednesday first half display was probably the best for years, not just this season IMO 

I agree with what you are saying OP, but to be honest I don't really think LJ had a lot to fix I am sure you as well as 90% on here could have seen the 3 at the back was the issue so changing that was a no brainer.

That being said his new players (and they are his) have been nothing short of spectacular !

But we had a good group of players when he arrived, so it wasn't as if he needed to start from scratch, I was not over the moon when he came, but I have renewed my ST again and am now happy he is here.

Strengths as I see it -- really gives time it seems to looking at individual players and encouraging them to do what they do best, tries to play players in their best position, uses substitutes wisely and to great effect so far, is very articulate -- and passionate to do well at this club, Speculation, though the signs are very good that his recruitment is spot on. Not bad for starters! Hopeful for the future which I certainly was not in December.

I think what he has done has been recognised on the whole. But I do understand the point that @redredrobin5makes. I think it's because people feel we already know Lee, not as a manager obviously, but as a player. He wasn't as new and unknown as some but a familiar face who just slotted back in. 

He has certainly steadied us with the limited resources he had available to him, no window and limited loans due to the players already committed here. Let's let him get on with the job now he has hopefully fulfilled the avoid relegation remit. Let's have a look around this time next year and see where we are. I trust him to do the right thing for the club, can't say that about some managerial appointments.

2 hours ago, redredrobin5 said:

with how he's turned this club around, i see very little plaudits from people on here about that. If we'd have got in Pearson, Moyes or someone of that reputation he'd be a messiah now, but LJ just seems to get ignored, to a degree?

I don't post often, im more of a pick and choose what i read, but the guy has turned us around since we got here and doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves, on line. I also don't attend enough games to witness how the fans are with him on match days, but im sure he's respected, just don't see it on here.

Cotterill, when he joined us after o'disaster, he was the Man....what about Lee!!!!!!!!!!!??

Nice to have you back Uncle Pete.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Obviously the OP missed those "love in" threads..........People really should try to keep up.....

Maybe OP doesn't sit on the forum all day every day, making pointless and snide remarks at every opportunity? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

He's done well, but let's see how the summer transfer business goes and were into next season. We've been here before and it's not worked out.

Agree with this.  I was against his appointment, so am prepared to eat humble pie and admit he's done far better than I expected.  There are positive signs.   But, lets see how he deals without the loan players (if they don't sign) and with a host of new recruitments - which is what's required.

Above all I credit Lee Johnson with having the courage to put his fledgling coaching career on the line here at City when he could have had a nice trip to Wembley and a stab at promotion with Barnsley at practically no risk.

That takes big ' Town halls '.

Delighted for him that Championship survival is virtually secured and looking forward to seeing what he can do with ' his ' team .

There now I've said it .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Above all I credit Lee Johnson with having the courage to put his fledgling coaching career on the line here at City when he could have had a nice trip to Wembley and a stab at promotion with Barnsley at practically no risk.

That takes big ' Town halls '.

Delighted for him that Championship survival is virtually secured and looking forward to seeing what he can do with ' his ' team .

There now I've said it .

So you are suggesting that country balls are somehow not as big as town balls are you fella? I'll have you know lad that us countryside folk eat full fat milk and don't squirm at the chunk of fat on edge of a chunky rump or topside. We have biguns that make townies look like little marbles. So get your fact right arkwright!

p.s. That said he is a bit of a shortie.

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Agree with this.  I was against his appointment, so am prepared to eat humble pie and admit he's done far better than I expected.  There are positive signs.   But, lets see how he deals without the loan players (if they don't sign) and with a host of new recruitments - which is what's required.

I agree. At this level there are bound to be set backs with recruitment as we saw clearly last summer. What I like about LJ is that he seems adaptable to the situation he is in, be it a match or off the field. Hopefully this will mean that he has plans B, C and D ready to go if plan A doesn't work out.

Last summer, it really didn't seem like we knew what to do when things went wrong, then we lost ground and had to try and make it up with loan signings.

1 hour ago, Reds2016 said:

He's doing a good job. But I think we were massively underachieving under cotts.

We were massively underachieving, but we were massively underachieving because of SC.

It's been an unbelievable turn around since he arrived, results, performances and league table all speak volumes.

I hope we all keep our expectations realistic for next year, but if we can do well in the summer market, and remember we are a small fish in a big pond now, so recruitment will be tough, we can look forward to a much better season.

He's done well. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

He was fortunate, I think, that Cotterill bequeathed him a squad which still had great spirit, despite the results. Not only does that make the job easier, it avoids the need for any "hand grenades" and the long losing spells that can accompany them. I don't know what the circumstances were surrounding the poor run at Barnsley but it's safe to say he could not afford one when he started at City. Half a dozen consecutive defeats would have seen us a mile adrift of safety and that would be hard to recover from.

His next challenge, along with Mark Ashton, is to recruit well this summer. He seems to know what he wants from a player but knowing what you want and being able to get it are two different things. He's got to find players with the right ability and the right mentality on what will still be a very tight budget for the level he's competing at. The minimum he needs to achieve is to recreate the squad he has now, replacing or signing all the loan players. If he does that we'll have a decent mid-table side for next season. If he doesn't manage that we'll be in for another struggle.

Enjoyed Little Lees start at the Gate. He had big shoes to fill after Cotts and then Pembo, to me his football has been the best for years . Can't say the fans have massively taken to him but that was down to losing a big personality in Cotts who had massive success . Job done keeping us up but now the hard work begins in the Summer, who could forget last summer and the way momentum was lost......surely we won't do the same again could we.....?

It's almost like Lee is having an anti-honeymoon period. With all the upheaval with Cotterill then Pemberton now him, I think fans are not totally sure who to blame/praise for what's happening now. But I'm sure that when we get to the last day of the season and the team are safe in the Championship and this feat is properly realised, then the praise for Johnson will really start to come. Then all the moaning about summer transfers can begin. :)

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

We were massively underachieving, but we were massively underachieving because of SC.

It's been an unbelievable turn around since he arrived, results, performances and league table all speak volumes.

I hope we all keep our expectations realistic for next year, but if we can do well in the summer market, and remember we are a small fish in a big pond now, so recruitment will be tough, we can look forward to a much better season.

We weren't massively underachieving because of Cotts; he was just one of many factors.

58 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We weren't massively underachieving because of Cotts; he was just one of many factors.

Of course there were some other factors, but bottom line, the same core of players who won 4 games in 26 games under SC are virtually transformed since he left. 8 wins in 16. Win ratio 50% from 15%.

Couple that with SC's win record in the Championship: Stoke 23%, Burnley 34%, Portsmouth 29%, Forest 32% and City 15%. He never seemed to have a plan B, his tactics were worked out and exposed too easily and he never reacted. Game after game he didn't make changes or subs. Simply put maybe SC found his level in league 1.

LJ has already showed the complete opposite, tactical variety and no fear of mixing things up dependent on the opposition, and the results speak for themselves.

Is LJ the messiah? Who knows. Will he take us to the premiership, who knows. But I for one am glad he is here and SC isn't because he was taking us nowhere but down this year.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

What were these many factors? Apart from his choice of suit. And hair product and style? Go on, Tell us. I'd love to know :yes:

SC had run his course. He'd lost the spark that he undoubtedly had last season.

I was delighted when LJ was appointed and remain so. I think he's the messiah. What I don't want - at least for a few seasons - is a trip to the promised land.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Of course there were some other factors, but bottom line, the same core of players who won 4 games in 26 games under SC are virtually transformed since he left. 8 wins in 16. Win ratio 50% from 15%.

Couple that with SC's win record in the Championship: Stoke 23%, Burnley 34%, Portsmouth 29%, Forest 32% and City 15%. He never seemed to have a plan B, his tactics were worked out and exposed too easily and he never reacted. Game after game he didn't make changes or subs. Simply put maybe SC found his level in league 1.

LJ has already showed the complete opposite, tactical variety and no fear of mixing things up dependent on the opposition, and the results speak for themselves.

Is LJ the messiah? Who knows. Will he take us to the premiership, who knows. But I for one am glad he is here and SC isn't because he was taking us nowhere but down this year.

You forgot to mention: the same core of players...but with a handful of top-quality additions who've made all the difference.

For whatever reason, Steve Cotterill didn't have those players. Maybe (as has been rumoured) he fell out with Lansdown and wasn't given the funding for the players he wanted. Maybe Keith Burt wasn't cutting it. Maybe certain agents didn't like him. There was certainly SOMETHING amiss, because he seemed pissed off in his interviews even before the season started. I'm not saying SC shouldn't shoulder most of the blame, but to insinuate that LJ is a better manager than SC based on percentages is a simplistic view in my opinion.

And you can't underestimate the influence of Mark Ashton's appointment on Lee Johnson's success.

Archived