IGNORED

And so it starts - FA v Leicester City

Aizoon

Someone at the FA has finally realised that it will be a disaster for Sky, the Big Clubs and the Plastics if Leicester win the Prem :(

Alan Shearer and Ian Wright on referee Jon Moss in Leicester draw
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36068462

Leicester's Jamie Vardy charged by Football Association over dismissal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36075748

Anyone surprised? Anyone?

Don't think he can have any complaints - however worth pointing out that you frequently see players swearing at referees after fouls are awarded against them and they don't even get spoken too/booked.

Yet again, it's the inconsistency of the application of the rules that riles people. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don't think he can have any complaints - however worth pointing out that you frequently see players swearing at referees after fouls are awarded against them and they don't even get spoken too/booked.

Yet again, it's the inconsistency of the application of the rules that riles people. 

Quite right.

Vardy is deeply unpleasant, he was rightly sent off for diving (something he does regularly) and then he repeatedly swore at the ref, so he deserves all he gets.

However I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Wayne Rooney do this and under Ferguson Man U did this almost every week without sanction...

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quite right.

Vardy is deeply unpleasant, he was rightly sent off for diving (something he does regularly) and then he repeatedly swore at the ref, so he deserves all he gets.

However I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Wayne Rooney do this and under Ferguson Man U did this almost every week without sanction...

You can't watch a game on TV without seeing it multiple times, so surely it's either an offence or it's not. You can't (shouldn't) pick and choose to whom and when it's applied. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quite right.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression they let them get away with swearing indirectly at the ref- For instance "for **** sake how the **** did you not ******* see that".

But don't let you get away with swearing directly at them,  as in "**** you ******* ****".

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I remember Rooney getting into trouble for this sort of thing fairly regularly. He then started to control it a bit (anger management classes?), at which point his form dipped massively, it was as if he had lost all his passion.

I must admit, when I saw Vardy, I thought that he had taken it further than a lot of players, and seemed to be acting more aggressively towards the ref than should be tolerated.

Really stupid given the position they are in, and the stage of the season, but maybe like Rooney, either he is passionate about his football or he isn't!

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I might be wrong but I was under the impression they let them get away with swearing indirectly at the ref- For instance "for **** sake how the **** did you not ******* see that".

But don't let you get away with swearing directly at them,  as in "**** you ******* ****".

In any televised match you will see players shouting '**** off' or '**** you' after being penalised for fouls. 

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Vardy's a chavvy little scrote who's had that booking for diving coming for a long time.

No conspiracy, and good to see the law being laid down for a change.

Agree, he looks an angry young man, he should be enjoying his football at the moment, but he obviously can't.

Got to be honest, I'm hating this whole Leicester love in, who gives a shite who wins that league, I certainly don't. i'm only concerned about how we are doing ourselves.

46 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not sure what the problem is. He deserved his red and he swore like a filthy dock worker at the ref. 

No vendetta. 

No excuse for the way he remonstrated with the ref, however I'm not sure he deserved his red.

The first yellow card should never have been given as it was highly debatable whether it was a foul, let alone a yellow card offence. If that was the case then for his dive he would have received a yellow at worst and not a red.

After receiving a yellow card Vardy was a complete prat for diving and giving the ref the option of booking him and thereby sending him off. That single act of stupidity could cost his team the title if the FA throw the book at him and increase his suspension beyond the next game.

Seems like @Aizoon has misjudged the mood on this one entirely.

I don't see any sort of conspiracy either, I see a player already on a yellow card showing absolutely no respect for the officials and getting what he deserved.

Also why is it a disaster for Sky if Leicester win the league? It's a great story that's drawing a lot more fans in that the usual Chelsea/Man City bore fest. It won't make any difference to viewing figures next season when everyone starts from zero again, and Sky don't show CL any more so that's irrelevant too.

58 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There would probably be numerous examples through the season of players swearing at the ref, whether after a foul, booking, being sent off or penalty conceded amongst others and the referees taking no action. Don't get me wrong its not acceptable but when action is taken against some but not others then it becomes questionable. Rooney and Terry in recent times are two prime candidates for getting in the refs face and its put down to them being who they are and passionate etc.

If he has done wrong he has done wrong so should be punished. But why is it not followed up when any other player does it? It happens in most Prem games these days and nothing is done.

I'm with the OP, will the FA try everything to prevent Leicester winning the league due to the bad image it will give all the big boys In the league? You never know! Man U got away with stuff like this for years.

On the point of abuse towards referees, I would love to see a rugby-style respect towards officials. The way players behave is an embarrassment to the game and it's the reason a lot of people don't like the sport.

If the FA adopted a zero tolerance approach towards abuse of officials from the start of next season, you could instill the rugby mentality very quickly. There would be a spate of red cards on the first weekend, but they'd soon learn.

The problem with refereeing standards will continue to drop until such point as:

- they allow refs to apply a bit of common-sense to the "laws"

- they remove the fear of the assessor in the stand mentality

- back their integrity (Kevin Friend)

- start mic'ing them up, so whoever can hear why they gave a decision or what Vardy called them.  Doesn't have to be for public consumption initially.

The assessor (I believe) starts of with a score (100 I think) and docks points for everything they get wrong.  Isn't that defeatist?  What about adding points for getting things right.  To a man, I bet we all thought more of the ref against Wednesday for falling over and then giving a wave.  You can bet the assessor docked him points for that!

I played in a works cup final at Roots Hall way back, and in the bar afterwards for the awards ceremony, I heard a youngish Lino getting an ear-bashing from a Senior official because he used the wrong arm across his chest for a a substitution.  What does it matter.  It was criminal the abuse he was getting.  I'd have shoved the flag up his arse had it been me (probably holding it the wrong way around!). No wonder they get dwindling numbers.

Finally, if the ref wants, allow him to come out and explain his decisions.  If he says "I saw player x play the ball and therefore it wasn't a penalty" then how can we argue.  Upon watching countless to replays, if he was wrong, don't then hammer him, educate him.

Also, allocate a ref to work with a club, albeit not in the division he's gonna ref in.  Learn the game, spot the clever stuff they do to get around the laws and take that into match-day.

As for conspiracy theory, I doubt it, but @Aizoon, I suspect the tv companies are entering squeaky bum time.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Seems like @Aizoon has misjudged the mood on this one entirely.

I don't see any sort of conspiracy either, I see a player already on a yellow card showing absolutely no respect for the officials and getting what he deserved.

Also why is it a disaster for Sky if Leicester win the league? It's a great story that's drawing a lot more fans in that the usual Chelsea/Man City bore fest. It won't make any difference to viewing figures next season when everyone starts from zero again, and Sky don't show CL any more so that's irrelevant too.

Bugger the mood, it's what I think. And anyone who's seen the empty pubs when Leicester City are playing on the box will know what this will do for Sky's viewing figures if they are in Europe. Still, I'm sure the Plastics will adapt. Let's wait for Cameron's claim to be a lifelong Leicester supporter ;) 

24 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Agree, he looks an angry young man, he should be enjoying his football at the moment, but he obviously can't.

Got to be honest, I'm hating this whole Leicester love in, who gives a shite who wins that league, I certainly don't. i'm only concerned about how we are doing ourselves.

I'd like to see them winning it purely for it being something different, and giving hope to clubs, us included, that it is possible to reach such heights. However the whole "everyone's second team" nonsense and this notion that we all have a duty to get behind them gets on my nerves.

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Vardy's a chavvy little scrote who's had that booking for diving coming for a long time.

No conspiracy, and good to see the law being laid down for a change.

Why so negative about an English player who has been fantastic all season for an unfashionable club? His story has been sensational doesn't matter if he looks a bit chavvy or not. Great to see his rise from non league

3 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

If he has done wrong he has done wrong so should be punished. But why is it not followed up when any other player does it? It happens in most Prem games these days and nothing is done.

I'm with the OP, will the FA try everything to prevent Leicester winning the league due to the bad image it will give all the big boys In the league? You never know! Man U got away with stuff like this for years.

What bad image? Why would the FA not want Leicester to win the league? Do people seriously think the FA are sat in their offices concocting ways to prevent Leicester winning it? Utter nonsense.

Vardy is getting the same punishment Costa got for an identical offence earlier in the season, which doesn't really fit the conspiracy theory does it.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd like to see them winning it purely for it being something different, and giving hope to clubs, us included, that it is possible to reach such heights. However the whole "everyone's second team" nonsense and this notion that we all have a duty to get behind them gets on my nerves.

We have no such duty, but we should be watching out for the money men, and particularly Murdoch, stirring the pot. 

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Bugger the mood, it's what I think. And anyone who's seen the empty pubs when Leicester City are playing on the box will know what this will do for Sky's viewing figures if they are in Europe. Still, I'm sure the Plastics will adapt. Let's wait for Cameron's claim to be a lifelong Leicester supporter ;) 

They will be OK Aiz.

Well they will be if  Cameron comes out as a Foxes supporter, because he's wanting to keep us all in Europe, let alone Leicester.

Archived