IGNORED

And so it starts - FA v Leicester City

Aizoon

4 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Bugger the mood, it's what I think. And anyone who's seen the empty pubs when Leicester City are playing on the box will know what this will do for Sky's viewing figures if they are in Europe. Still, I'm sure the Plastics will adapt. Let's wait for Cameron's claim to be a lifelong Leicester supporter ;) 

Sky don't show the Champions League.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

They will be OK Aiz.

Well they will be if  Cameron comes out as a Foxes supporter, because he's wanting to keep us all in Europe, let alone Leicester.

Does he know they're called the Foxes? Prolly thinks they're called the Walkers...

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

Someone at the FA has finally realised that it will be a disaster for Sky, the Big Clubs and the Plastics if Leicester win the Prem :(

Alan Shearer and Ian Wright on referee Jon Moss in Leicester draw
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36068462

Leicester's Jamie Vardy charged by Football Association over dismissal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36075748

Anyone surprised? Anyone?

I thought BT  had the coverage rights for this season and the next two seasons.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

On the point of abuse towards referees, I would love to see a rugby-style respect towards officials. The way players behave is an embarrassment to the game and it's the reason a lot of people don't like the sport.

If the FA adopted a zero tolerance approach towards abuse of officials from the start of next season, you could instill the rugby mentality very quickly. There would be a spate of red cards on the first weekend, but they'd soon learn.

Unfortunately, even though it is nowhere near as bad, professional rugby has changed the way players behave. There is a lot more verbal contact between players and refs and a significant reduction in the use of the "10 yard rule" for verbals from players.

A lifelong friend of mine, who played for Bristol in the late 60's early 70's, tells me that today's players will spend some of their training time, working out new methods of "bending" the rules to gain advantages. As I have posted elsewhere, the football corner kick is rugby's scrum where all sorts of skullduggery are going on.

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Long suffering? All those relegations like the rest of us? 

I don't buy this all premier league fans are plastic.  Spurs fans have had to put up with 20 years abuse from their Arsenal counterparts.

i for one wish them a bit of luck.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The problem with refereeing standards will continue to drop until such point as:

- they allow refs to apply a bit of common-sense to the "laws"

- they remove the fear of the assessor in the stand mentality

- back their integrity (Kevin Friend)

- start mic'ing them up, so whoever can hear why they gave a decision or what Vardy called them.  Doesn't have to be for public consumption initially.

The assessor (I believe) starts of with a score (100 I think) and docks points for everything they get wrong.  Isn't that defeatist?  What about adding points for getting things right.  To a man, I bet we all thought more of the ref against Wednesday for falling over and then giving a wave.  You can bet the assessor docked him points for that!

I played in a works cup final at Roots Hall way back, and in the bar afterwards for the awards ceremony, I heard a youngish Lino getting an ear-bashing from a Senior official because he used the wrong arm across his chest for a a substitution.  What does it matter.  It was criminal the abuse he was getting.  I'd have shoved the flag up his arse had it been me (probably holding it the wrong way around!). No wonder they get dwindling numbers.

Finally, if the ref wants, allow him to come out and explain his decisions.  If he says "I saw player x play the ball and therefore it wasn't a penalty" then how can we argue.  Upon watching countless to replays, if he was wrong, don't then hammer him, educate him.

Also, allocate a ref to work with a club, albeit not in the division he's gonna ref in.  Learn the game, spot the clever stuff they do to get around the laws and take that into match-day.

As for conspiracy theory, I doubt it, but @Aizoon, I suspect the tv companies are entering squeaky bum time.

Didn't a Swedish(?) ref do this a few months ago, got a load of plaudits for coming out and explaining his decisions.

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Also why is it a disaster for Sky if Leicester win the league? It's a great story 

a great story for us here in this country, but it doesn't "play well" in the "emerging markets" so I believe. When Man Utd were struggling post Sir Alec under Moyesie, PL Chief suit,Richard Scudamore (he's one of our own), spoke publicly about the desirability of the league being topped by Utd (and Chelsea, Liverpool and/or Arsenal) because that's what fans in Asia etc want and expect to see. Or words to that effect.

If Leicester win it, and say, Stoke, finish top 3 next year, and maybe some other provincial club embarrass the big ones, and Arsenal, Chelsea and or Liverpool aren't winning, the overseas TV rights will be harder to sell. Scudamore will struggle to come back with an increased TV pot of gold again, like every time so far.

That's the theory, as I understand it, as to why Sky will "love it" just this once, just so long as normal service is restored next year. Remember the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool had secret meetings earlier this year about a breakaway Euro league and certain clubs qualifying for CL regardless of league position.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I can see Spurs getting 9-10 points from remaining 4, Leicester maybe 6 or so.. think Leicester will limp over the line. 

Not so sure where the goals will come from for Leicester.. Spurs could easily win the last 4.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I can see Spurs getting 9-10 points from remaining 4, Leicester maybe 6 or so.. think Leicester will limp over the line. 

Spurs to get 10 and Leicester 4 imo, so Spurs winning the title by 1 point

3 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Fair play to Tottenham they genuinely do have the look of champions tonight.

Will be gutted for Leicester mind if they don't win it.

In fairness they are far better to watch than Leicester. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Spurs to get 10 and Leicester 4 imo, so Spurs winning the title by 1 point

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Not so sure where the goals will come from for Leicester.. Spurs could easily win the last 4.

Going to be interesting for sure. Leicester should beat Swansea and can surely pick up another 3 points from the remaining 3 games. 

That would be enough unless Spurs win all four. They could well do, certainly not the done deal it seemed a week ago. 

3 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Leicester to beat Swansea and Chelsea, and draw against Everton, just enough to win.

Think Leicester will lose against Utd and Chelsea. Will beat Swansea and come down to the Everton result.

Archived