IGNORED

Who remembers the 'Gold Cup' in 1966/67?

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

The press office at Hannover 96 in Germany has been in touch asking for our help:

"We have learnt that we played your club on 16.11.1966 in the Gold Cup in Bristol and won 2:3, but the German papers didn’t give us any line-ups, goalscores or attendance figures.

As well we played on 23.5.1967 in Hannover. We won 2:1, but the German papers did not print your club's line-up.

Can you help us to fill this hole in our archives?"

Anyone know what the 'Gold Cup' was? And/or able to dig out any of the missing information? (BCFC were apparently unable to help, by the way) 

According to my copy of  Bristol City a complete record 1894-1987, a font of all knowledge.

@Blagdon red  Hope this helps.

The friendship cup ( good recall @slartibartfast ) was 2 games. I'm guessing they haven't missed another year off of the heading. The last league game was on the 6th of May in the 66-67 season. While we had games on the 12th and 19th of November. 

Nov 16  Final Home .......2-3 Bartley,Giles.    Att: 4,599

Gibson,Ford,Briggs,Parr,Low(Connor) , Drury,Giles,Garland(Bush), Sharpe,Bartley.

May 23 Final away ........1-2 Ford (pen)   Att: 10,000

Gibson,Ford,Bush, Quigley, Connor, Low, Derrick, Crowe, McIlmoyle, Sharpe, Peters.

City, representing ALL of Bristol, regularly played friendlies H&A against our twin cities of Hannover and Bordeaux.

The club could resurrect those fixtures and as we're now twinned with Oporto (and others) any three with a day or two between games would be an interesting pre season tour.

3 hours ago, 22A said:

City, representing ALL of Bristol, regularly played friendlies H&A against our twin cities of Hannover and Bordeaux.

The club could resurrect those fixtures and as we're now twinned with Oporto (and others) any three with a day or two between games would be an interesting pre season tour.

Tbilisi in Georgia too, I believe...

Archived