IGNORED

Section 82: A Clash Of Cultures

In recent weeks,much has been discussed regarding Section 82 regarding the type of fans in the Atyeo and what they like and do. It is becoming more obvious for me that there are several types of fans in the Atyeo, those who prefer a more Ultra type experience, those who see it as more of a relaxed environment for venting, and those who are there just for the standing and or prices.

Personally, I probably favour the more Ultra style. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, just my preference. The reason I attend live football is for the atmosphere and the love of City. I don't care much for abusing the opposition (or more topically my fellow) fans or players, especially as the latter tends to spur on opponents. I love to sing, and I love to bounce, and I love to go absolutely mental when we score. I also have no issue with flags being flown throughout as for me the spectacle on the pitch is secondary. There are many in the Atyeo who share my opinions, but are unable to act on them due to the people around them.

But then my frustrations are different from others. Against Derby I was asked (very politely) by the person behind me to stop throwing my arms up as they could not see the game. Obviously their reasoning for going in the Atyeo was different to mine and they, I imagine they are not alone. There are many people in the Atyeo who will stand for 90 mins with their arms crossed in silence, or chatting to friends. This is fine, but it means the two groups will suppress each others enjoyment. I may irritate some by being in the way, and they irritate me as songs are hard to start and maintain if half the people around you never join in. 

Which then brings me onto the split in the more vocal fans. Some fans clearly relish calling a corner taker a Banker and a Runt and although perhaps morally questionable it is generally accepted as part of the game and have been guilty of it myself. However if you look at the people who are perhaps bouncing around and those starting a Banker chant, they tend to be split in two with an overlap (oh for a venn diagram right now). Again this splits the noise levels as not everyone wants to join in with every song as it does not appeal to them, hence a lower volume.

Next season, with only 900-1000 of us in that area, this  split will be all the more noticeable and volume levels will suffer for it. However I feel it is also and opportunity. Perhaps S82 is not as loud or successful as we'd like as there are many different plants in a very small patch of soil, but if each plant was given its own bit of the ground away from the others, they could more easily flourish and grow, meaning I can throw my hands up and wave a flag, and if you just want to watch the game whilst stood up then that should be up to you too. And if you want to call the opposition a Runt then you can do that too. 

31 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

In recent weeks,much has been discussed regarding Section 82 regarding the type of fans in the Atyeo and what they like and do. It is becoming more obvious for me that there are several types of fans in the Atyeo, those who prefer a more Ultra type experience, those who see it as more of a relaxed environment for venting, and those who are there just for the standing and or prices.

Personally, I probably favour the more Ultra style. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, just my preference. The reason I attend live football is for the atmosphere and the love of City. I don't care much for abusing the opposition (or more topically my fellow) fans or players, especially as the latter tends to spur on opponents. I love to sing, and I love to bounce, and I love to go absolutely mental when we score. I also have no issue with flags being flown throughout as for me the spectacle on the pitch is secondary. There are many in the Atyeo who share my opinions, but are unable to act on them due to the people around them.

But then my frustrations are different from others. Against Derby I was asked (very politely) by the person behind me to stop throwing my arms up as they could not see the game. Obviously their reasoning for going in the Atyeo was different to mine and they, I imagine they are not alone. There are many people in the Atyeo who will stand for 90 mins with their arms crossed in silence, or chatting to friends. This is fine, but it means the two groups will suppress each others enjoyment. I may irritate some by being in the way, and they irritate me as songs are hard to start and maintain if half the people around you never join in. 

Which then brings me onto the split in the more vocal fans. Some fans clearly relish calling a corner taker a Banker and a Runt and although perhaps morally questionable it is generally accepted as part of the game and have been guilty of it myself. However if you look at the people who are perhaps bouncing around and those starting a Banker chant, they tend to be split in two with an overlap (oh for a venn diagram right now). Again this splits the noise levels as not everyone wants to join in with every song as it does not appeal to them, hence a lower volume.

Next season, with only 900-1000 of us in that area, this  split will be all the more noticeable and volume levels will suffer for it. However I feel it is also and opportunity. Perhaps S82 is not as loud or successful as we'd like as there are many different plants in a very small patch of soil, but if each plant was given its own bit of the ground away from the others, they could more easily flourish and grow, meaning I can throw my hands up and wave a flag, and if you just want to watch the game whilst stood up then that should be up to you too. And if you want to call the opposition a Runt then you can do that too. 

Really? How bizarre. Surely the "spectacle" (or otherwise) on the pitch is of primary concern to every fan; S82, Ultra, Non-Singing or otherwise? 

I just feel that Section82 have missed a trick with their latest sticker collection.

Available for both a five in defence with attacking full backs, and the more traditional 4-4-2 formation, the following would be a great way for those so minded to show what being a vocal, flag bearing, bouncing, away fan baiting supporter is all about.

515shDDNM3L._SY300_.jpg

always-ultra-plus-wings.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I just feel that Section82 have missed a trick with their latest sticker collection.

Available for both a five in defence with attacking full backs, and the more traditional 4-4-2 formation, the following would be a great way for those so minded to show what being a vocal, flag bearing, bouncing, away fan baiting supporter is all about.

515shDDNM3L._SY300_.jpg

always-ultra-plus-wings.jpg

Will only work in the Dolman as it's the only part of the ground full of cnuts (allegedly) 

56 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It would be interesting to see that articulated further.

Jungle - I agree with a lot of what you've said though not calling people a ****. Where thing go wrong is, as you say, when those who want to sit are mixed with those who want to stand. Hopefully, next season, Atyeo will be standing only so it won't be a problem. The other problem, as has been demonstrated recently  on the forum, is where some fans in the Atyeo regard themselves as being superior to those who want to sit in other stands, and spend their time making derogatory comments / songs. If everyone could  accept that everyone is different and just get on with watching the match everything would be fine. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Will only work in the Dolman as it's the only part of the ground full of cnuts (allegedly) 

In following this logic, maybe the Dolman could get their own stickers.

Tampax would be the obvious brand to go with, on account of us all being stuck up cnuts. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

In following this logic, maybe the Dolman could get their own stickers.

Tampax would be the obvious brand to go with, on account of us all being stuck up cnuts. 

Maybe Tile 101 could be Milli Vanilli as they never sang either. 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If everyone could  accept that everyone is different and just get on with watching the match everything would be fine. 

But by the sounds of it, WTTJ isn't that bothered about what happens on the pitch, as long as he can wave his flag. 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

But by the sounds of it, WTTJ isn't that bothered about what happens on the pitch, as long as he can wave his flag. 

Which should be absolutely fine!

I went to a dire Liverpool Man U charity shield game at Cardiff. The most entertainment all game came from a group of twenty lads near me who never stopped dancing and singing (rather than chanting) the whole time. Brilliant.

When I went to my first games with my Dad I had little idea what was happening on the pitch, but still remember the excitement from the wall of noise coming down the terrace: "Bri- stoool".

That's why I support City, rather than some premiership team with a host of technically-gifted internationals.

WTTJ, looks like you need to get a 'standing zone' sorted i.e. like minded fans such as yourself need to be exerting pressure on government to allow 'standing zone' areas. Zones of this kind will attract a fan of a certain demeanour and dissuade other types. The only thing that could possibly go wrong after this is persistent trouble, so you guys would have to be self policing - as such, in the build up to such zones, ultra types need to show that they can be trusted not to kick off (the football violence of old needs to be exactly that, in the past).

4 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I fully agree with WTTJ's post.  Similar to WTTJ's experience of being "told off" for waving his arms, I was in the S82 earlier this season and a nearby fan ask me to stop shouting so loud as he couldn't hear the radio through his headphones. 

With a much increased capacity there is space for all sorts of fans to get sufficient space to avoid (or limit) confrontation like that seen by me and WTTJ. 

I'm sitting in the Williams next season and intend to take a flag with me , will this be allowed, or will it be confiscated?

If it's confiscated, will I get it back  so that I can take it to the next game? Or will I have to buy a new flag every game?

31 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I agree. Is it an attempt to replicate the old EE? Is it a more Ultra movement? It cannot be all things to all people. 

@BCFCS82

Good question WTTJ. 

I think at times names are branded round all to often, for example if you are this type of fan or that type of fan.

Football should be about everyone enjoying the game how they wish, for example as you said the person on his radio, if you wish to sit and take notes on the game, take in every amazing pass from tomlin, want to wave a flag etc. Football has a massively wide range set of supporters who come from all walks of life.

S82 was purely set up for like minded fans to be able to wave flags, to do displays etc. In truth it was about people trying to enjoy that side of the game more, if there is a name for it I'm not so sure, we are all supporters of the same club at the end of the day. 

It doesn't have to be exclusive to the atyeo but unfortunately the only options from the club is to allow displays/flags in this area of the ground, that is reality. People have tried on several occasions to have a wavey going in the other two stands but this has been turned down by the club.

The only genuine option fans say for next year was to displace  the whole of block A and B of the dolman, fans who have been there poteintally 50 years, or to stay in the atyeo. That decision wasn't done to make it more exclusive, or to limit what can be achieved but people felt it wouldn't be fair to throw out other fans. There were no other options from the club, it was Dolman A and B, Atyeo, or no relaxed standing area at Ashton gate.

Everyone is welcome, and you cannot tar a whole stand with one brush, not everyone in football is the same however much people, the board, the FA etc wish it to be

This isn't exclusive to the atyeo stand and everyone should be welcome to join in, if they are able to. We are aware not everyone's enjoys what we do, or wants to join in but that is perfectly acceptable.

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

I don't see any flags or standing, apart from at the back of the Dolman and South stands, is it allowed?!

I'm pretty sure the club allows fixed flags as long as it is not covering any signs etc. I may be wrong on this, we are aware the only area allowed by the club for wavey flags, two poles, displays etc is the Atyeo, it isn't allowed in any other stand.

That is the clubs decision. 

8 minutes ago, BCFCS82 said:

Good question WTTJ. 

I think at times names are branded round all to often, for example if you are this type of fan or that type of fan.

Football should be about everyone enjoying the game how they wish, for example as you said the person on his radio, if you wish to sit and take notes on the game, take in every amazing pass from tomlin, want to wave a flag etc. Football has a massively wide range set of supporters who come from all walks of life.

S82 was purely set up for like minded fans to be able to wave flags, to do displays etc. In truth it was about people trying to enjoy that side of the game more, if there is a name for it I'm not so sure, we are all supporters of the same club at the end of the day. 

It doesn't have to be inclusive to the atyeo but unfortunately the only options from the club is to allow displays/flags in this area of the ground, that is reality. People have tried on several occasions to have a wavey going in the other two stands but this has been turned down by the club.

The only genuine option fans say for next year was to display the whole of block A and B of the dolman, fans who have been there poteintally 50 years, or to stay in the atyeo. That decision wasn't done to make it more inclusive, or to limit what can be achieved but people felt it wouldn't be fair to throw out other fans. There were no other options from the club, it was Dolman A and B, Atyeo, or no relaxed standing area at Ashton gate.

Everyone is welcome, and you cannot tar a whole stand with one brush, not everyone in football is the same however much people, the board, the FA etc wish it to be

This isn't inclusive to the atyeo stand and everyone should be welcome to join in, if they are able to. We are aware not everyone's enjoys what we do, or wants to join in but that is perfectly acceptable.

I feel like the Atyeo is in an uneasy coalition though. Some things in common but then many differences for it to be effective. 

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I feel like the Atyeo is in an uneasy coalition though. Some things in common but then many differences for it to be effective. 

I understand what you are saying, but what other genuine alternatives are there? 

Take away the atyeo, and you remove any elements of flags, displays etc. I know a they not all fans enjoy that, which is perfectly fine but for the fans that do, an area like this is very welcomed. 

8 minutes ago, shelts said:

So basically it's an Atyeo thing for standing and flag waving. I thought the South Stand might of become the new home end . 

I think that was what everyone was hoping for, but in truth that has never and will never be an option from the club. 

The atyeo wasn't by choice, prior to the south stand opening it was told that an "standing area" couldn't be allowed due to the family area and the corporate areas etc, again the atyeo was a take it or leave it option. 

Next season in effect the same will have occurred with no offer from the club to allow any sort of relaxed attitude to standing, with flags etc being allowed.

This isn't a fans decision but a club decision, it would be amazing to use the south stand as a platform, but it simply isn't allowed. 

1 minute ago, BCFCS82 said:

I understand what you are saying, but what other genuine alternatives are there? 

Take away the atyeo, and you remove any elements of flags, displays etc. I know a they not all fans enjoy that, which is perfectly fine but for the fans that do, an area like this is very welcomed. 

If only we had thousands of empty seats from which we could base a long term solution... 

Catch 22 isn't it. And you are right. Bristol Sports current model has little time for flags and singing. Which is a shame as a better atmosphere makes the product of live football much better. 

I know the club basically gave to option of Atyeo or A B Dolman, but either way if feels like we're being pushed into the smallest corner where differences become more prevalent. The question is, is there a way to convince the club to extend the platform as you said in your reply to shelts?

Archived