IGNORED

Section 82: A Clash Of Cultures

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

what's the problem? I was trying to offer a compromise…

Sorry, first line was tongue in cheek. I believe you could still rail all of it but lock up the seats at the back, and down at the front. Or have as sort of triangular arrangement of seats and standers whereby no one who is sat will be obstructed by a stander.

25 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sorry, first line was tongue in cheek. I believe you could still rail all of it but lock up the seats at the back, and down at the front. Or have as sort of triangular arrangement of seats and standers whereby no one who is sat will be obstructed by a stander.

yes could work. I think safe standing will come in at some point, and I think it could make the SS a really good place to be.

31 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Have they sung an apology to the other stands yet?

The thing is Drew.that was a small minority.There is nothing to be gained by constantly bringing this up.It should not have happened in my opinion,but the whole of Ashton Gate needs to move on and support the club in the way they choose to.

The "all seater stadium" argument is a load of shit used to make an excuse for not making an atmosphere. Others have cited 2008 under GJ and Galatasaray as examples, I'll throw in the game against Rovers in the JPT 2013 where the dolman was shaking again, and Galatasaray a second time. I went to their old ground which was an all seater and had no roof for the most part. Still had the best atmosphere of any game I've been to even though the game I saw was a nothing match. 

23 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My ears aren't as good as they used to be but I heard them singing the same as the last home game that prompted the thread. The Dolman did reply with 'We pay your benefits'....

They definitely sung it again, was one of the few times the atyeo did sing today

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

They definitely sung it again, was one of the few times the atyeo did sing today

Heard the song. But disagree with your second part. Thought they were very loud today, I sit in the south stand.

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

Heard the song. But disagree with your second part. Thought they were very loud today, I sit in the south stand.

I was in the atyeo, most of the noise was huddersfield, their fans were going for most of the game, atyeo only really got going at 3-0

Edit- probably shows how different areas hear things different, but from behind the goal in the atyeo, for the first half particularly, the noise was all from one side

53 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My ears aren't as good as they used to be but I heard them singing the same as the last home game that prompted the thread. The Dolman did reply with 'We pay your benefits'....

Along with dolman take a joke and we love the dolman. 

@City169 you're definitely right re different areas. Didn't hear a peep of Huddersfield and found the Ateyo quite loud from where I was. Should caveat never hear the away fans so no slur on them. 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Unfortunately your ears are ok. Some did sing the same song, so perhaps the name used to describe them - "the nursery" - is correct. 

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 22:26, pongo88 said:

Not trying to be funny, but the reason you didn't see any Internet discussions in the 1980s is because there weren't any! Online fans forums are relatively new, and have pros and cons. If fans didn't like something in the 80s they could have a moan at the pub etc, but there was no online method of discussing something with large numbers of other fans. We've got 23 pages about the new kit! In the 80s a new kit was just announced and it was like it or lump it. 

Sometimes i have to explain jokes to my wife as well 

27 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The more I think about it I do wonder why a particular bunch of people feel the need to have a little name for their gang. It's a bit, I don't know, odd, really. 

It's just a name.Its harmless.I call myself an EastEnder,now.I.am in the Atyeo,before that I was in the Williams.But above all I am a City fan.

Interesting read this thread. Throws open so many really interesting insights into the cultures and mixtures of fans. Having said that, I was really disappointed that I heard the chant at the Dolman again today. It's fine IMO to have a go at not singing with chants to encourage sections of the ground every now and again, but the c word is genuinely unnecessary. 

I'm not digging you out WTTJ, just picking up on your comment is all - as it sheds light on what is for me, the best way to sum up the problem:

On 4/24/2016 at 12:08, Welcome To The Jungle said:

"those who prefer a more Ultra type experience"

Now. Before I get berated....I was around when the 'Forza' movement got going about 10 years ago. It was a great addition to the already unique camaraderie among a specific group of fans. 

However, what the flipping heck is an 'ultra type experience'?? That's simply nonsense. You don't do to the Stadio San Paolo or Olympico and ask for a ticket including the full deluxe ultra package. It doesn't make sense.

The efforts of those organising Section82 are commendable, and I think its great. However, people need to chill out, and stop causing rifts just because every single other fan in the stadium isn't all that arsed. Mass chanting expletives at our own fans is crass. And all to fabricate an expectation of an 'ultra experience'. I guarantee that the majority of the fans with these expectations have only ever seen the 'ultra experience' on YouTube.

The best 'ultra' atmosphere will be the one that naturally develops over time. As the new ground settles again, and people find their new seating (or standing) homes, then the atmosphere will grow, and become a cauldron one day. Having said that, it will only be made worse in the mean time (and possibly do longer term damage as well) by trying to get everyone to wear gazelles and CP jumpers and calling them silly names if they don't shout loud enough. If that continues, there will only ever continue to exist a sterile element to the stadium - as fans won't want to join in out of spite.

Keep up the good work and iron out the creases, Section82 could be special.

Forza EE.

4 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Interesting read this thread. Throws open so many really interesting insights into the cultures and mixtures of fans. Having said that, I was really disappointed that I heard the chant at the Dolman again today. It's fine IMO to have a go at not singing with chants to encourage sections of the ground every now and again, but the c word is genuinely unnecessary. 

I'm not digging you out WTTJ, just picking up on your comment is all - as it sheds light on what is for me, the best way to sum up the problem:

Now. Before I get berated....I was around when the 'Forza' movement got going about 10 years ago. It was a great addition to the already unique camaraderie among a specific group of fans. 

However, what the flipping heck is an 'ultra type experience'?? That's simply nonsense. You don't do to the Stadio San Paolo or Olympico and ask for a ticket including the full deluxe ultra package. It doesn't make sense.

The efforts of those organising Section82 are commendable, and I think its great. However, people need to chill out, and stop causing rifts just because every single other fan in the stadium isn't all that arsed. Mass chanting expletives at our own fans is crass. And all to fabricate an expectation of an 'ultra experience'. I guarantee that the majority of the fans with these expectations have only ever seen the 'ultra experience' on YouTube.

The best 'ultra' atmosphere will be the one that naturally develops over time. As the new ground settles again, and people find their new seating (or standing) homes, then the atmosphere will grow, and become a cauldron one day. Having said that, it will only be made worse in the mean time (and possibly do longer term damage as well) by trying to get everyone to wear gazelles and CP jumpers and calling them silly names if they don't shout loud enough. If that continues, there will only ever continue to exist a sterile element to the stadium - as fans won't want to join in out of spite.

Forza EE.

Well put

5 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Forza EE.

Actually a tongue in cheek joke. Created by a City fan living away from the West Country. The ideas around the Eastend didn't  have a name hence Forza Eastend. It was not the brightest idea attaching a alien term to a very English and traditional stand. Bit embarrassing really looking back at it, but the good heavily outweighed "the what were we thinking!"

However effort was put into articulating what was going on and proactively involving others if they had a sincere interest. Negative critics were continually offered to have a genial pint and chat on a matchday ... Intertestingly the most verbose did not take up the offer including posters still pursuing their sport eight, nine, ten years later at the expense of those in another stand.

Having donated flags, poles, stuffed stickers into bags it isn't clear what Section 82 is about. It could be very good, but what actually is it about? It is not an Ultra group? It is sort of laddish, but isn't casual? It is very heavily centred, almost totally on the Atyeo, outside the ground?

So yes iron out the creases and it could be very good.

9 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Forza EE.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong. I've got several friends in Poland and have been to several matches there, where the fans are Ultras. It is some of the most fun I've had at a football ground. Sure the 'Ultra experience' as I phrased it does sound like a package, but my point was is that is how I'd like to support my team. But I won't start telling everyone to join in if they don't want to. But I think this thread has turned into a good thing, as it shows quite how broad the spectrum of fans are and how we like to support the club, be it by simply by watching the game or with flags and songs. 

20 hours ago, Nomad said:

The banter yesterday between the Dolman and Section 82 was exactly how football should be, very funny, people take everything so bloody seriously and that was the right reaction (as was S82 singing we love the Dolman). Before the benefits song, it was "You are the cheap seats you are the cheap seats, you are the cheap seats Ashton Gate" too. Great day for football all round spoiled only by the closure of the Spanish bar.

Archived