IGNORED

Bristol City Artwork.

spudski

10 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I have to ask, are you NTTDS long lost love child? :D 

Haha...you'd think so Doll's,  I've only met NTTD once before, he didn't mention me as any offspring....but he's a thoroughly decent chap ;)

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

@spudski while I agree my book could be wrong, I would guess it was done old school in 86. I've found the tape which might have the game on it, all I have to do is get the video recorder to work..... Watch this space . 

I worked on the 1986 book for David Woods and assisted with subsequent publications of his and can categorically state that all the records used are taken from newspaper reports of each match. David Woods did the vast majority of Bristol City games in that particular book while I concentrated on Bedminster and Southville. On one occasion, while researching a Clifton weekly paper and one called The Bedminster Budget and Weekly Advertiser of the 1890s, I found reference made to a Bristol City photograph in a magazine called The Golden Penny. At that time it was the oldest picture of a City team ever found. However, this has since been superseded by some a year or two older than that. Loads of local and national papers are consulted, both at the Central Library and at Collindale in London.

Forgot to add that with the matches since about the 1970s, David Woods keeps his own records to save trips to libraries but checks them against contemporary newspapers. The only licence he takes is in reports of matches from say the 1940s, where in the report of the match there is no mention of when a goal is scored. If this is the case with all available sources he records the goal, if it came in the second half, as being in the 67th minute as that is halfway through the half. There is logic in this as he says that if it wasn't the 67th minute, then some old chap will write to him and point out that he was there and is sure the goal was scored with about five minutes to go. David then amends his record of the game to show the time the goal was notched as now being the 85th minute.

26 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I worked on the 1986 book for David Woods and assisted with subsequent publications of his and can categorically state that all the records used are taken from newspaper reports of each match. David Woods did the vast majority of Bristol City games in that particular book while I concentrated on Bedminster and Southville. On one occasion, while researching a Clifton weekly paper and one called The Bedminster Budget and Weekly Advertiser of the 1890s, I found reference made to a Bristol City photograph in a magazine called The Golden Penny. At that time it was the oldest picture of a City team ever found. However, this has since been superseded by some a year or two older than that. Loads of local and national papers are consulted, both at the Central Library and at Collindale in London.

Thanks for all the great info mate.

Would I be right in saying, they have copies of all the local papers on microfiche in the Bristol Central Library?

If so, I'm hoping to do some research myself.

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Teighties all the great info mate.

Wou ld I be right in saying, they have copies of all the local papers on microfiche in the Bristol Central Library?

If so, I'm hopinUNto do some research myself. 

Back in the 80s, 90s and early noughties when i I was researching not every local paper was available on microfiche In Bristol and for the Evening World in some decades a trip to London was required. However, more was becoming available locally and I think I heard that every local publication is now available at the Central Library. The Green Un And Pink Un appear sporadically amongst the Evening Post and Evening World on microfiche. The best papers pre the advent of the Evening Post are the Western Daily Press and Bristol Times and Mirror that cover local football. Good luck with your research.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Back in the 80s, 90s and early noughties when i I was researching not every local paper was available on microfiche In Bristol and for the Evening World in some decades a trip to London was required. However, more was becoming available locally and I think I heard that every local publication is now available at the Central Library. The Green Un And Pink Un appear sporadically amongst the Evening Post and Evening World on microfiche. The best papers pre the advent of the Evening Post are the Western Daily Press and Bristol Times and Mirror that cover local football. Good luck with your research.

Thanks for that mate...really appreciated.

I'm actually going to be researching Bristol Speedway.

My friends father, who has now sadly past away, used to ride second half meetings and I'm trying to find info regarding him.

I've had some good responses from parts of the speedway community, but according to his son, his father rode other meetings at other tracks.

I'm also wanting to research some of the 77-78 seasons.

I have Speedway books by your friend Dave Wood....very good they are too.

More fun...for some of you old 'ens...the 'Cheese' Immortalised in Subbuteo...scoring THAT famous header against the mighty Arsenal...

Quote...

"When Bristol City took on mighty Arsenal on August 21st, 1976, no one gave us a chance. Malcolm 'Supermac' MacDonald, Arsenal's major summer import boasted to the Fleet Street hacks how many he was going to score and the number of goals the Gunners were going to win by.

"The summer of 1976 was a scorcher - denim jeans and waistcoats - afro hair was the real deal, and after 11 seasons in Division 2 (old), City had become a large fish in a very small pond - now they were a very small fish in the ocean!

"The City hordes assembled on the Clock End at Highbury, and it was hot. Geoff Merrick led the team out to a rousing reception, and kicked towards the North Bank. Soon City got into their stride, Trevor Tainton, often the unsung hero played with style, stroking passes around, (Gerry) Gow chased, Merrick swept up, and in truth Arsenal were second to everything.

"Super Mac went off with broken ribs after clashing with (Gary) Collier in the 29th minute.

"Into the second half, City always looked the better side, and when Paul Cheesley headed in Clive Whitehead's cross into the Clock End goal, the scene at Highbury was one of ecstatic thousands from Bristol.

"City's win that day remains one of the finest wins in the history of the club The following afternoon City featured on London Weekend Television's: "The Big Match". The day was taken up reading every Sunday paper report of our historic win - watching The Big Match before tasting the cider. Without a doubt, it was one of the best weekends in living memory."

Final Score: Arsenal 0 1 CITY

Scorer: Cheesley, 65 minutes

Teams

CITY

1. Ray CASHLEY
  2. Gerry SWEENEY
  3. Brian DRYSDALE
  4. Gerry GOW
  5. Gary COLLIER
  6. Geoff MERRICK
  7. Trevor TAINTON
  8. Tom RITCHIE
  9. Jimmy MANN
  10. Paul CHEESLEY
  11. Clive WHITEHEAD

ARSENAL

1. Jimmy RIMMER
  2. Pat RICE
  3. Sammy NELSON
  4. Trevor ROSS
  5. David O'LEARY
  6. Peter SIMPSON
  7. Alan BALL
  8. George ARMSTRONG
  9. Malcolm MACDONALD
  10. John RADFORD
  11. Alex CROPLEY*

Substitute used

1. Peter STOREY*

Attendance: 41,082

cheese.jpg

cheese1.jpg

cheese2.jpg

cheese3.jpg

cheese5.jpg

cheese6.jpg

cheese7.jpg

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Brilliant work, we must have a chat so you can explain how you do these.  Hack saw and araldite ??

Scalpel, super glue, hot water, Bostick, lots of patience, a steady hand and eyes like a hawk haha...cheers mate...it's very therapeutic  ;-)

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Spud - do you print the decals (sponsors and club badge etc) from a computer or paint them? Hard to tell from the photos on a phone!

All hand painted mate...I use small brushes and humbrol matt emulsion.

I just make sure I've not had too many coffee's in the morning ;-)

I've tried decals before...they are way too fiddly, and look too statuesque.

Hand painting, gives a flow and movement in my eye. Less is often more...the missus wouldn't agree on that ;-)...but a 'suggestion' often works wonders at this scale of 00.

More fun...

Go on Scotty...Give 'em Hell ;-)

Quote...

Cardiff City 1-3 Bristol City

Football League Division 2
      29th December 2001
      Ninian Park

Scott Murray’s double (including a memorable celebration) and Lee Matthews’ strike saw Bristol City go top of Division 2 after an impressive 1-3 win at a hostile Ninian Park. Graham Kavanagh’s calm header from Robert Earnshaw’s cross saw the home side take the lead prior to half time before three goals in five minutes from the visitors stunned the Welsh public. First, fan’s favourite Murray produced a trademark finish after a swift move before a similar goal from the winger, this time finishing at the near post before running 40 yards with an ‘ear-cupping’ celebration in front of the home terrace. Matthews’ fierce strike on the hour left Neil Alexander with no chance and the home side never recovered and sent the away fans back into England with smiling faces who still speak of Murray’s celebration

Scott Murray Ninian Park.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm.jpg

sm1.jpg

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

All hand painted mate...I use small brushes and humbrol matt emulsion.

I just make sure I've not had too many coffee's in the morning ;-)

I've tried decals before...they are way too fiddly, and look too statuesque.

Hand painting, gives a flow and movement in my eye. Less is often more...the missus wouldn't agree on that ;-)...but a 'suggestion' often works wonders at this scale of 00.

More fun...

Go on Scotty...Give 'em Hell ;-)

Quote...

Cardiff City 1-3 Bristol City

Football League Division 2
      29th December 2001
      Ninian Park

Scott Murray’s double (including a memorable celebration) and Lee Matthews’ strike saw Bristol City go top of Division 2 after an impressive 1-3 win at a hostile Ninian Park. Graham Kavanagh’s calm header from Robert Earnshaw’s cross saw the home side take the lead prior to half time before three goals in five minutes from the visitors stunned the Welsh public. First, fan’s favourite Murray produced a trademark finish after a swift move before a similar goal from the winger, this time finishing at the near post before running 40 yards with an ‘ear-cupping’ celebration in front of the home terrace. Matthews’ fierce strike on the hour left Neil Alexander with no chance and the home side never recovered and sent the away fans back into England with smiling faces who still speak of Murray’s celebration

Scott Murray Ninian Park.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm.jpg

sm1.jpg

Brilliant!

The Great thing about Subbuteo, is they did players from many era's...this figure, showing a 50's kit, when manipulated, suited the Great man himself...Big Ol' John Atyeo ..I'm on a roll....tell me if it's too much and i'll stop ;-)

bristol-city-john-atyeo-1-footballers-1956-cadet-sweets-collectable-trading-card-53259-p.jpg

ja0.jpg

ja1.jpg

ja3.jpg

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 22:03, spudski said:

I know...but I loved that team,,,and Benny...we had a real spirit that season. Shame it went pear shaped.

My fav game was away at WBA...so many incidents, on and off the pitch. Car broke down...dropped my pork and apple roll, that was a major incident...walked into a bunch of their heavies...two broken legs....ridiculous amount of stoppage time...pure theatre.

That WBA game was definitely memorable. It was a really good performance from City in a feisty atmosphere but heartbreaking when they equalised so late on. I remember deep into injury time thinking the ref was going to keep playing on until they scored. With the disappointment of not holding on to the three points and the injuries that game felt like a key factor in our relegation.

Really enjoying all the subbuteo pictures, Spudski. 

16 minutes ago, Offside said:

That WBA game was definitely memorable. It was a really good performance from City in a feisty atmosphere but heartbreaking when they equalised so late on. I remember deep into injury time thinking the ref was going to keep playing on until they scored. With the disappointment of not holding on to the three points and the injuries that game felt like a key factor in our relegation.

Really enjoying all the subbuteo pictures, Spudski. 

As relegation seasons go, it's surprising how many people like myself, remember it fondly. I've never known a season apart from during the 80's, when it was a Club fighting as one.

Glad you're enjoying mate...something to do whilst the close season is happening :-)

23 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Was this the picture you were referring to? Noticed the first picture of bedminster, the bloke sat down with the bowler hat. I think he is the same man in the bristol city picture standing at the back without the hat. Interesting team kit colour, can't make out if the socks are red or blue. 

http://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=bedminster

30 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Was this the picture you were referring to? Noticed the first picture of bedminster, the bloke sat down with the bowler hat. I think he is the same man in the bristol city picture standing at the back without the hat. Interesting team kit colour, can't make out if the socks are red or blue. 

I found a quote about the first player to move between Everton and Liverpool...anyone know if he had any involvement with Bedminster or City after moving here?

Apparently opened a Newsagents in Bedminster...

Quote...

The first ever player to move between the clubs was Scotsman Tom Wyllie, born in Maybole, South Ayshire.

Having played for Everton between 1890-92, Wyllie did not cross Stanley Park as such because Everton (they still weren’t the Blues), were still playing their home games at Anfield.

Wyllie joined the newly-formed Liverpool in 1892 and had the distinction of netting the first ever goal in a meeting between the sides in a 1-0 victory in the Liverpool Senior Cup final on April 22, 1893.

After retiring in 1898 he moved to the Bristol district of Bedminster where he became a newsagent.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

I found a quote about the first player to move between Everton and Liverpool...anyone know if he had any involvement with Bedminster or City after moving here?

Apparently opened a Newsagents in Bedminster...

Quote...

The first ever player to move between the clubs was Scotsman Tom Wyllie, born in Maybole, South Ayshire.

Having played for Everton between 1890-92, Wyllie did not cross Stanley Park as such because Everton (they still weren’t the Blues), were still playing their home games at Anfield.

Wyllie joined the newly-formed Liverpool in 1892 and had the distinction of netting the first ever goal in a meeting between the sides in a 1-0 victory in the Liverpool Senior Cup final on April 22, 1893.

After retiring in 1898 he moved to the Bristol district of Bedminster where he became a newsagent.

I just had a quick look on google, he played for bristol city for 1 season. 1897-8. It says he was a striker but nothing about how many goals he scored. 

9 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I just had a quick look on google, he played for bristol city for 1 season. 1897-8. It says he was our striker but nothing about how many goals he scored. 

Did a little more digging...from a Liverpool website...

Liverpool were elected to the Second Division after winning the Lancashire league, but Wyllie stayed in Lancashire with Bury which had finished third while Liverpool took the championship. Bury were runners-up a year later, but were elected to the Second Division which the Greater Manchester club won at the first attempt. Fate would have it that Bury's opponents in the Test match in which the bottom club of the First Division played the Second Division champions would be between Bury and Wyllie's old club, Liverpool. Bury won 1-0 and Wyllie played two seasons in First Division before moving to amateur club Bristol City in the close season in 1897 and scoring 19 goals in 31 games. He retired a year later from the game only 26 years of age and became a newsagent in Bedminster.

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Can you do me an Ian Baird?

( you know the one)

Actually...I'm at a loss as to which pose you mean fella...seriously...brains gone dead!

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The one where after having been even more useless than usual and getting abuse from the open end he turns and gives us a two figured salute!

Haha...since I last wrote my last post. I gave it a moment and recalled the incident.

It'll have to go in the Infamous section of Artwork ;-)

3 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Thanks for that Threshing Red but that is not the one. The picture I located was from 1898 and City were in red shirts and it appeared in the Golden Penny a national magazine along with a two page article. I have got the article somewhere if I can find it I will post it on here. It includes a bit about Sam Hollis. The Golden Penny was running a series of articles on Association Football clubs.

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

This might just be my favourite thread of all time

When it dies, as all great threads do, can we find a special place in the classics section please? Getting some great memories - well done all

I agree mate...I like the way it meanders...it's not just about 'Subbuteo' Artwork...the Art brings back memories of games, players and our Clubs history.

During the off season, it's great to reflect, remember, and chat about all that's great about our club.

I'm loving the talk of our early days...and have found a couple websites I didn't know existed showing pics of players etc, all because of this thread...fantastic stuff :-)

I'll try and keep it going ;-)

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree mate...I like the way it meanders...it's not just about 'Subbuteo' Artwork...the Art brings back memories of games, players and our Clubs history.

During the off season, it's great to reflect, remember, and chat about all that's great about our club.

I'm loving the talk of our early days...and have found a couple websites I didn't know existed showing pics of players etc, all because of this thread...fantastic stuff :-)

The Spuduteo does add to it, those once in a lifetime moments immortalised forever - post / pre season is a killer on here, this is making it worth while!

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm still struggling with the Benny Lennartsson years. It's like I've wiped them from my memory, or got the alcohol to do it for me. When talking about that time all I can think of is leaving the ground after Bradford humped us and that was before Wolves did similar the next game !!  

@spudski I'd love to see your take on a post Freight Rover Terry Cooper, I love that interview no false tears there.

Archived