IGNORED

Roy's Euro 2016 squad

Fordy62

If Roy plays the form players I think we could give any side a real good go. We look very frail at the back, but if we go full Keegan - is there a front pairing in the tournament as potent as Vardy and Kane?!

I do however fully expect Rooney, Sterling and Wilshere to start and Capello-esque levels of footballing excitement, which is why I'm finding the whole thing rather underwhelming. 

10 minutes ago, RedJim said:

I'm not saying I disagree re his fitness record. However his ability means he should be picked, if fit, in my opinion.

We just seem to always take a player who is a risk , this summer it's him 3 games in a week is a little too much for sick note. :englandsmile4wf:

16 minutes ago, smokey live said:

Perhaps its to give him some experience of being involved with the national squad leading up to a tournament.

Experience is great, but there will be plenty of friendlies after Euro 16 for Rashford to develop. The fact that he is now officially in this provisional squad means that he will be going to France should one of the other 4 first choice strikers get injured. It's only my opinion of course, but who would you rather have as back up? A youngster who had taken his chance at Man Utd through injuries to first choice strikers, a kid of undoubted talent but with no international appearances to his name, or an experienced striker who has played for England before, knows what playing in a big tournament is all about and lets not forget who was the 3rd top English goalscorer this season behind Vardy and Kane in a team fighting at the wrong end of the table?

I have always liked Roy Hodgson's willingness to give players a go who have not been in the England set-up before, but I would like that to work both ways and give the chance back to a guy that IMO has thoroughly earnt it.

Oh and Wilshere before Noble defies logic.

Wilshere has to be in the squad; he's a hard-working, talented midfielder who can shoot and play a dangerous pass.  He's shown himself to even hold the midfield if required.  Forget the fact he's been injured for most of the season, it's whether he's match fit for the tournament that matters, which the England team must believe he will be.

Even if he wasn't deemed fit for the first couple of games, he would still be able to feature in the 3rd group game and then the latter rounds.

Although anything can happen in tournament football, I tip us to reach the semi-finals, and from there, who knows.

Don't forget how exceptional we were recently beating Germany in Berlin.

Come on guys, give England some more credit. The fans are the the worst, I have just the 7 tournaments I can remember, most disappointing but I always enter into the tournaments hoping for the best. This is a great young squad, with Alli, Kane, Vardy, Dier, we have some great talent there. I can't wait. 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can't believe Danny bloody Rose is our first choice full back, cringe.

Full of bang average players not even as good as Milner..

Lallana- what does he EVER do?

Sterling - most overpriced player ever. £49m for about 1 goal and 1 assist.

Townsend - christ.

The whole defence.

Thank god for Alli, Kane and Vardy but I doubt any more than 1 of them will play. 

Luke Shaw is our first choice left but sadly he's injured. Lallana is on decent form for Liverpool at the moment so deserves to be on there. 

Rose to his credit has been fantastic this season for Spurs.

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

Attacking wise, i think we will give any team problems. Defensively, i think we will make problems for ourselves. Not convinced on any pairing from Cahill, Smalling and Stones at that level.

Not convinced 3 centre backs is enough, Stones will get injured and Cahill will get suspended

19 minutes ago, Big C said:

Not convinced 3 centre backs is enough, Stones will get injured and Cahill will get suspended

I'm sure I've seen a handful of Soton games this year when Bertrand has been playing centre half.

21 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yep, you can see it now, 2 CBs down and a must win game to get out of the group. 

Probably be must win anyway regardless of injuries or suspension!

Any team containing Cahill is going to get found out (is in fact already found out before kicking a ball)

Rooney behind Kane and Vardy is likely...

Smalling is first on the sheet and Rose and Clyne likely, the rest really are up to the players to stake a claim

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

Defoe, whilst in good recent form has had quite a few chances for England and is now 33. Even if he did get the call up, i can't see Roy looking beyond Kane, Sturridge, Rooney and Vardy. So in that respect, the call up offers more to a young kid who has everything to gain by even being in the squad than for someone like Defoe.

Yeh but Defoe also missed out on the World Cup 2006 squad when Walcott was taken even though he'd never made a premier league appearance and had only played 13 lower league games in his career at that point....so what was the point of that? Defoe was coming toward his peak then and Walcott was an unknown kid.

And now Defoe misses out again despite being in form....oh well.

Anyhow, I think Delph, Rashford and Townsend may miss out when the squad is cut....

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Would be amazed if Stones starts his confidence is shot.

Yep, Everton's season has done him no favours. It's a shame as he is really the only ball playing CB we have and that sort of ability will be needed.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

I actually think that, whilst bold, this is the right call by Hodgson for the simple reason that we don't have 4 centre-backs who deserve to be in the squad.  Right-back and Left-back we have genuine competition and it makes sense to include both.  Dier can play centre-back in a pinch as can, iirc, Walker.  Neither is ideal by a long shot but I'm not sure Jagielka is a significantly better option and, as Terry's retired, who else is there realistically?

26 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Yep, Everton's season has done him no favours. It's a shame as he is really the only ball playing CB we have and that sort of ability will be needed.

Which is precisely why I think he'll start. Anyway; it wasn't my team, I just thought it looked like a reasonable one! 

That has to be the worst defence we've had for 30 years!

We could still do ok with our squad but i think we need to get at teams and attack, but knowing England we will sit back try and keep possession mess things up and get caught out at the back.

Would be nice to go into a tournament with some confidence and actually believe we can win it, if we don't think we can win it then why bother going!

C'mon England believe!

Sterling has made a good impression this year of a Premier League Junior Bent, and on current form Rooney should not be starting. Listening to Roy however he feels he owes something to the players that saw us qualify, so no doubt they will.

If we play those who have been in form all year we will cause other teams problems, but our defence looks a long way short of world class.

Not holding my breath to be honest. 

So, we have two Man City reserves and player who has played one game all season in our midfield. Then we have Henderson ( again been injured) who is the most over rated player I can think of!

An 18 year old striker who if he played for any other team in the country he wouldn't even be on the radar, this lad should be playing in the England youth/under 21's if anything at all.

I won't even go into the defenders, but just to say that if we keep one clean sheet then that will be a major achievement.

I really don't want to be all doom and gloom, but just what is happening to English football, I look at the squad and just think how little quality we now have in this country.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

So, we have two Man City reserves and player who has played one game all season in our midfield. Then we have Henderson ( again been injured) who is the most over rated player I can think of!

An 18 year old striker who if he played for any other team in the country he wouldn't even be on the radar, this lad should be playing in the England youth/under 21's if anything at all.

I won't even go into the defenders, but just to say that if we keep one clean sheet then that will be a major achievement.

I really don't want to be all doom and gloom, but just what is happening to English football, I look at the squad and just think how little quality we now have in this country.

I have the same worries about the defence Gareth Bale for example could destroy them.

In truth, we have 2 very good goalkeepers, decent full backs, a shaky central defence, good attacking midfielders & a couple of on form strikers.

A huge amount will depend on formation but it's clear to most of us that Dier has to play as a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4. Alli also has to play but I fear Woy will still want to play an out of form & over-the-hill Rooney & an underprepared Wilshere.

Townsend will make the final 23 as Woy likes him & he has played well for England whenever picked. Plus tbf he was one of the few Newcastle players who really looked like he cared in the past couple of months. 

As for Defoe, you have to feel for him. The guy is a goal scorer even when playing for a poor team. Just imagine what he would have done if still at Spurs this season...assuming no Harry Kane!

7 hours ago, KingLear said:

Also, does anyone realistically think that Danny Drinkwater would be anywhere near the England squad if Leicester had not been challenging for the title? Methinks not.

Weird statement, he's been the best English midfielder this season playing for the best English team...so that's why he's in the provisional squad...pretty simple really

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weird statement, he's been the best English midfielder this season playing for the best English team...so that's why he's in the provisional squad...pretty simple really

It's not a weird statement at all, I agree he's there on merit, absolutely deserves his place.

What I'm saying is his performances this season have been largely the same as last season, so what makes Hodgson pick him this season as opposed to last season?

The answer to that question is because he is now a Premier League winner, as opposed to a relegation scrapper, that's the 'pretty simple really' answer.

Believe me, if Leicester had been relegated instead of champions, Drinkwater would be nowhere near the squad, that's the point I'm making.

2 minutes ago, KingLear said:

It's not a weird statement at all, I agree he's there on merit, absolutely deserves his place.

What I'm saying is his performances this season have been largely the same as last season, so what makes Hodgson pick him this season as opposed to last season?

The answer to that question is because he is now a Premier League winner, as opposed to a relegation scrapper, that's the 'pretty simple really' answer.

Believe me, if Leicester had been relegated instead of champions, Drinkwater would be nowhere near the squad, that's the point I'm making.

His performances have been immense this season...all the Leicester players have obviously upped their game and improved on last season, that's why they went from the bottom to the top. They haven't done it by having players like Drinkwater perform at the same level as last season....

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think the squad always used to consist of 22 players and was then increased to 23, to include 3 goalkeepers.

Is there anything in the rules that would stop you picking Wayne Rooney as a squad goalkeeper, then bringing him on up front in the last 10 minutes?!

I know it sounds stupid but how do you actually define a goalkeeper other than someone saying they are? Equally there is nothing in the rules of football to prevent you playing a "goalkeeper" outfield, is there?

Archived