IGNORED

Roy's Euro 2016 squad

Fordy62

7 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Is anyone able to explain why Adam Lallana is included, seems to be good at doing a few fancy turns with very little end product and a seeming inability  to score goals.

He's clearly a marmite player. I like him. If WE are going to be aggressive against teams (ie press them high), he'll play. Watch games closely and he is very often the first to close down with others following. He's played under Pochettino and Klopp and understands what this entails. 

Lots of like minded players on the bench.

Lallana is the Premiership version of Freeman so no idea why he is there, but I think our sub team looks a little bit like this:

Forster

Clyne Stones Bertrand

Sterling Lallana Barkley Henderson Milner

Rashford Sturridge

Where is the defensive cover both at CB and in the midfield?? Drinkwater should have gone for this reason in my opinion.

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Lallana is the Premiership version of Freeman so no idea why he is there, but I think our sub team looks a little bit like this:

Forster

Clyne Stones Bertrand

Rashford Sturridge

Where is the defensive cover both at CB and in the midfield?? Drinkwater should have gone for this reason in my opinion.

agree about Drink water. Obviously thinks that one of Henderson or Milner can cover this. Wiltshire gets injured when he tackles. Makes Scholes look like Makele.

Wiltshire gets a lot of stick but is a better footballer than Henderson and Milner who are substandard in my opinion. 

Wiltshire has not played but that will be of benefit as he will be fresh and ready to go. Drinkwater can count himself unlucky but I think whilshire offers more. Squad is about right in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Forster

Clyne Stones Bertrand

Rashford Sturridge

You have Henderson and Milner in there, both capable of the DM role.

CB, Dier aside, we are screwed. If we keep a clean sheet in any of our games i'll be impressed.

45 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Italy are the polar opposites to us. The Juve defence makes them strong at the back but they look woeful in midfield and attack. Missing a few important players through injury as well. That said they generally know what it takes to progress so you're probably right! 

Wouldn't say woeful! Candreva, De Rossi, Florenzi, Motta and Insigne would probably all get in an England first team.  

Lack of a prolific out and out striker will worry them though. 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wouldn't say woeful! Candreva, De Rossi, Florenzi, Motta and Insigne would probably all get in an England first team.  

Lack of a prolific out and out striker will worry them though. 

I'll give you Candreva but De Rossi isn't really the player he was and is only back in due to the injuries to Veratti and Marchisio. Motta is out of sorts, he looked poor against Man City. Not sure Insigne would get in our strongest area of our side. 

2 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

I'll give you Candreva but De Rossi isn't really the player he was and is only back in due to the injuries to Veratti and Marchisio. Motta is out of sorts, he looked poor against Man City. Not sure Insigne would get in our strongest area of our side. 

I'd take Insigne over Sterling like a shot. At least he has some end product to go with his pace! Marchisio is a huge miss for them, cracking player. 

Right then readers, you're Roy. Name your starting 11, with formation, key tactics and some insight into your selection. 

Mine: 4-1-3-2:

Hart

Walker   Stones   Cahill    Rose

Dier

Lalana            Rooney 

Alli

Kane           Vardy

Hart is a no brainer. 

Tough selection at wing back. Not much between Bertrand/Rose and Walker/Clyne. Gone for the Spurs lads because I think that improved understanding will only help.

I went Stones over Smalling but really it could have gone either way. Stones is a better ball player, but I'd like Dier or wing backs to be taking it out from defence. Smalling always looks to be one lapse in concentration away from a penalty/red card. He makes me nervous. 

We have to have someone covering the defence. I'm not convinced by Henderson at all. As much as I detest Milner, he's had a good season, so he could fill the void of any of the 3 central players.

I was against Rooneys selection a month ago, but he's played well in the midfield role and has the passing range, eye for goal and willingness to track back I don't see in any other player. 

Lalana. Hmmm. Not convinced myself. Id have started Townsend who I think always has an end product and will run his socks off. Lalana because Sterling looks so out of sorts, but I would be tempted to drop Milner in, or a fit Wilshere. Except he's not fit, and won't be in time.

Alli and Kane, more Spurs understanding. They've linked up well all season, can't be ignored.

Vardy and Kane - Is there a more potent strike force in the tournament? 

Tactics:

Full Keegan.

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet against better sides. Any side for that matter. So we'll have to try and out score opponents.

I think we can cause some serious damage if the players are given the license to get forward and go for it. I'd like to see the Spurs/Leicester off the ball pressing and hi-tempo counter attacking stuff. We have creativity with Alli and Rooney and great finishers in Kane and Vardy. 

Who's next?...

Seems illogical to me not to take Drinkwater.

This strikes me as Cubs football where it is all about attacking.

Our biggest failing is always our inability to keep the ball and invariably in tournaments like this our best (and certainly most influential) player is our holding midfielder.

This squad places a lot of emphasis on Eric Dier, who is not only first choice in that position but also the cover if any of our 3 CBs are out.

I'd have taken Drinkwater over any of Barkley or Lallana or one of Sturridge or Rashford as we certainly won't need both of them.

29 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Right then readers, you're Roy. Name your starting 11, with formation, key tactics and some insight into your selection. 

Mine: 4-1-3-2:

Hart

Walker   Stones   Cahill    Rose

Dier

Lalana            Rooney 

Alli

Kane           Vardy

Hart is a no brainer. 

Tough selection at wing back. Not much between Bertrand/Rose and Walker/Clyne. Gone for the Spurs lads because I think that improved understanding will only help.

I went Stones over Smalling but really it could have gone either way. Stones is a better ball player, but I'd like Dier or wing backs to be taking it out from defence. Smalling always looks to be one lapse in concentration away from a penalty/red card. He makes me nervous. 

We have to have someone covering the defence. I'm not convinced by Henderson at all. As much as I detest Milner, he's had a good season, so he could fill the void of any of the 3 central players.

I was against Rooneys selection a month ago, but he's played well in the midfield role and has the passing range, eye for goal and willingness to track back I don't see in any other player. 

Lalana. Hmmm. Not convinced myself. Id have started Townsend who I think always has an end product and will run his socks off. Lalana because Sterling looks so out of sorts, but I would be tempted to drop Milner in, or a fit Wilshere. Except he's not fit, and won't be in time.

Alli and Kane, more Spurs understanding. They've linked up well all season, can't be ignored.

Vardy and Kane - Is there a more potent strike force in the tournament? 

Tactics:

Full Keegan.

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet against better sides. Any side for that matter. So we'll have to try and out score opponents.

I think we can cause some serious damage if the players are given the license to get forward and go for it. I'd like to see the Spurs/Leicester off the ball pressing and hi-tempo counter attacking stuff. We have creativity with Alli and Rooney and great finishers in Kane and Vardy. 

Who's next?...

Was Peak Keegan the group game v Portugal in Euro 2000?

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier

Alli Wilshere

Rooney

Kane Vardy

The 4 fullbacks are much of muchness so whatever, but the only other spot up for debate is Wilshere's. I guess Henderson is the other possibility but I don't really understand the hate for the former.

Of other potential starters, Stones too mistake ridden, Sterling awful season, Lallana a nothing player.

13 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Rooney and Wiltshire are better footballers than danny drinkwater. 

Should be picked on form not who the better footballer may theoretically be. Has Wilshire played 90 minutes this season? Barclay has been poor all year too.

Leaving out Drinkwater is insane as @GrahamC says above. Dier is playing in a position where bookings are inevitable and yet he's our only proper defensive midfielder and CB cover too? Squad is imbalanced imo, loads of players who want to play up top but next to no defensive cover. Hart will be busy.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Seems illogical to me not to take Drinkwater.

This strikes me as Cubs football where it is all about attacking.

Our biggest failing is always our inability to keep the ball and invariably in tournaments like this our best (and certainly most influential) player is our holding midfielder.

This squad places a lot of emphasis on Eric Dier, who is not only first choice in that position but also the cover if any of our 3 CBs are out.

I'd have taken Drinkwater over any of Barkley or Lallana or one of Sturridge or Rashford as we certainly won't need both of them.

Agree with Drinkwater but he should have gone instead of Wilshere. 

Vardy and Drinkwater have a telepathy rarely seen with such consistency at club level. Could have just cost us a slot in the semi final with that decision Roy.

I would have taken Drinkwater and Townsend

Would have left Henderson and Sturridge out

Saying that i dont watch live premiership football I dont see the players in training and I have never managed a football league club

So as Roy knows tons more about managing than me I will leave picking the team to him and get behind them whoever starts

I feel Drinkwater's omission is somewhat justified as he hasnt set the world alight in the games he has played for England however the one that disappoints me is the fact Mark Noble hasnt even had a look in for England.

Also I would have taken Townsend over Sterling, he plays better for England than he does and Sterling has been shocking all season.

We've gone down the line of risking injured players before and it didn't work. Wilshire and Sturridge are made of biscuit and liable to break down Only 3 CB's and the cover is the only real defensive midfielder and taking 5 strikers just makes me think he didn't fancy facing the press after dropping Sturridge or Rashford. 

Drinkwater going would have meant a more balanced side, and I agree Noble should have been at least part of the original  squad , and it seems strange not having a genuine wide man, although Walcott, Sterling and the Ox have hardly covered themselves in glory of late. 

I hope we can score 3 in every game otherwise we may be in trouble.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Should be picked on form not who the better footballer may theoretically be. Has Wilshire played 90 minutes this season? Barclay has been poor all year too.

Leaving out Drinkwater is insane as @GrahamC says above. Dier is playing in a position where bookings are inevitable and yet he's our only proper defensive midfielder and CB cover too? Squad is imbalanced imo, loads of players who want to play up top but next to no defensive cover. Hart will be busy.

Disagree but that's fine. A fresh Wilshire is a great addition to any squad. 

Should be looking at Milner and Henderson for reasons why drinkwater has missed out, they've taken his spot not jack Wilshire who will compete with Ali for ATM role which drinkwater won't be 

17 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Should be looking at Milner and Henderson for reasons why drinkwater has missed out, they've taken his spot not jack Wilshire who will compete with Ali for ATM role which drinkwater won't be 

Hodgson plays JW in a more defensive role for England though, generally one of the two at the base of the midfield. CAM role will be switched around and competed for using Alli, Rooney, Barkley, Sterling and Lallana.

I think I'd have taken Drinkwater over Henderson because I think 3 players with fitness doubts is a big gamble and I might have taken Townsend over Lallana but Hodgson and the physio team know more than me about how fit the players are and I don't think the decision he's made is a bad one - just not the one I'd have made.  On balance, I think the balance of the team is about right and I can see the reasons he's took the players -e has - I think Henderson and Wilshere are, if fit, better players than Drinkwater and I don't think 4 deep-lying midfielders would have been the right call, especially as Milner and Lallana can play there if needed. 

I think 5 striker is a good decision and, poor though Sterling and Barkley have been in recent months, they are the kind of players than can turn a game.  As I say, I don't necessarily say he's made the decisions he's made are the ones I'd have made but I don't really have any reason to criticise his decisions.

23 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

According to the BBC milner has been ranked 5th in the best/most in form player going to the tournament (each position was scored differently) by an independent panel....

As for Henderson - he provides the energy. Not much else but he is going as the engine room.

I agree with you that a fit and raring to go Wilshere is a good addition. But the concerns rise as that is assuming that he comes back the same player.  That's something we can't comment on because no one has seen him play a meaningful game in a year. Many a player have lost some of their game to long term injuries. I just hope he hasn't. 

1 hour ago, BA14 RED said:

I feel Drinkwater's omission is somewhat justified as he hasnt set the world alight in the games he has played for England however the one that disappoints me is the fact Mark Noble hasnt even had a look in for England.

Also I would have taken Townsend over Sterling, he plays better for England than he does and Sterling has been shocking all season.

Drinkwater's game is not about setting the world alight it's about keeping possession and working openings.

Reminds me of what happened with Owen Hargreaves who played a similar role at Bayern Munich and whome you never saw waste possession like we do in this country. So what did England do with this talent? Put him a right back mostly. Reason? because he was a so called utility player. :facepalm:

Archived