IGNORED

Roy's Euro 2016 squad

Fordy62

Have to feel sorry for Drinkwater and Townsend. Honestly, would not of brought Barkley & Wilshere. Barkley has had a poor season and pardon my language he was dog shit against Australia.

Overall I won't complain too much, think this is our best opportunity in a long time to do well. My only concern is, the main man leading this squad. Right time, right team, wrong manager. Hopefully I can be proved wrong and actually play well and get quite far.

As for the winner of the tournament? Has to be either France or Germany for me. If we get to the semis, I think no one can complain.

10 minutes ago, !james said:

http://extras.thetimes.co.uk/web/public/2016/euro-2016-predictor/index.html

Nice little Euro predictor here, I had a Germany v France final...

Oh that's interesting.

I had Spain vs Germany in final with Germany winning. Toughest games to choose were the semis between France vs Germany, and choosing the quarter0 final game between England vs Belgium. Chose us over that game and lost to Spain in semi finals!

17 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Is anyone able to explain why Adam Lallana is included, seems to be good at doing a few fancy turns with very little end product and a seeming inability  to score goals.

Prob because he is better than Townsend.

25 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Is anyone able to explain why Adam Lallana is included, seems to be good at doing a few fancy turns with very little end product and a seeming inability  to score goals.

Quality player.  Thankfully for him Klopp, Pochetino and Hodgson agree.  As did Rodgers.

So Drinkwater and Townsend miss out and I have no problem with that but...why select a 25 man squad and then axe two of them?

Surely it's straightforward enough to select 23 from the beginning, then the pain of axing two players isn't necessary.

How the hell has James Milner made it into yet another England squad? And Jack Wilshire, you have to be having a laugh. Lets take a player whose pretty much been injured all season and not take a player from the league champions and whose been a key player in that success. 

You could add Jordan Henderson to that list as well of players who've been injured for a long time and somehow make the squad. And he's an average player at best..

Great attacking lineup but the rest is very average (not including Hart in goal. He has my sympathy)

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

England to lose to Italy in semis.  France to beat Spain in final.  

Italy are the polar opposites to us. The Juve defence makes them strong at the back but they look woeful in midfield and attack. Missing a few important players through injury as well. That said they generally know what it takes to progress so you're probably right! 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So Drinkwater and Townsend miss out and I have no problem with that but...why select a 25 man squad and then axe two of them?

Surely it's straightforward enough to select 23 from the beginning, then the pain of axing two players isn't necessary.

We had a 26 man squad before Delph got injured.

Gives the fringe players a chance to impress in the friendlies and training. I doubt Rashford would have made an initial 23 man squad but after his performance the other night and impressing Hodgson in training he has now made the squad... 

Can't believe Drinkwater has been left out after the season he's had compared to Henderson and Wilshere. He won the bloody league for goodness sake. Maybe he should get injured in future and be guaranteed selection. Also he was played out of position in the system in the friendlies.

The England set-up is, and always has been, an old boys' club. That's why Rooney will always make the first XI regarding of how well he's been playing, and why the likes of Wilshere and Sterling are certainties even though they've done nothing all season. It reminds me of the scene in the recent Eddie the Eagle film, where the suits tell him he won't be going to the Winter Olympics because his face doesn't fit. I get the feeling a very similar thing happens at the FA.

8 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

How the hell has James Milner made it into yet another England squad?

He doesn't get a lot of love but he is an ideal pick for tournament football. You'll typically always get a 7/10 performance from him and he does that in numerous positions. I wouldn't want to see him start, unless its the final group game and we don't need a result, but hes very useful cover.

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The England set-up is, and always has been, an old boys' club. That's why Rooney will always make the first XI regarding of how well he's been playing, and why the likes of Wilshere and Sterling are certainties even though they've done nothing all season. It reminds me of the scene in the recent Eddie the Eagle film, where the suits tell him he won't be going to the Winter Olympics because his face doesn't fit. I get the feeling a very similar thing happens at the FA.

You could well be right but Vardy is an ex non-leaguer playing for an unfashionable club and he got selected. Why does his face fit? He could of only been picked on form surely?

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You could well be right but Vardy is an ex non-leaguer playing for an unfashionable club and he got selected. Why does his face fit? He could of only been picked on form surely?

Why pick players on absolute top form?

The manager is an idiot!

Uncle TFR

2 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

And Barkley 

I like Barkley and dispite Everton being woeful he hasn't been too bad,

he is generall skilful player something England isn't renowned for,

he won't start and rightly so but he is a danger,

more so then drinkwater 

Just now, Monkeh said:

I like Barkley and dispite Everton being woeful he hasn't been too bad,

he is generall skilful player something England isn't renowned for,

he won't start and rightly so but he is a danger,

more so then drinkwater 

I thought his form as been woeful in the last month.

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

There are certain players you simply can't leave out, and Vardy is one of them. Townsend should've gone ahead of Sterling. He's a better player and on better form

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

There are certain players you simply can't leave out, and Vardy is one of them. Townsend should've gone ahead of Sterling. He's a better player and on better form

Better form yes, better player...well that's when opinion takes over and Roy's is really the only one that matters. I think if both players were in the best form of their life and he had to choose one, it would be Sterling and that's essentially what he's based his selection on, if Sterling performs to his ability, he's a match winner. Same could be said for Drinkwater out and Barkley in.

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Better form yes, better player...well that's when opinion takes over and Roy's is really the only one that matters. I think if both players were in the best form of their life and he had to choose one, it would be Sterling and that's essentially what he's based his selection on, if Sterling performs to his ability, he's a match winner. Same could be said for Drinkwater out and Barkley in.

I'd say that Townsend has proven to be a match winner on more occasions than Sterling. Both Sterling and Barkley flatter to deceive, for me. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'd say that Townsend has proven to be a match winner on more occasions than Sterling. Both Sterling and Barkley flatter to deceive, for me. 

I agree, Townsend is in the groove and was good to go. Again, i agree on both Sterling and Barkley but Roy has taken a little gamble there that they both perform when required. Has he got that right, we'll know in a few weeks.

Archived