IGNORED

England vs Turkey

BRISTOL86

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Can anyone see us keeping a clean sheet in any game in the euros?

Nope! We look incredibly nervy at the back. Walker, Rose and Stones all very attack minded too. That's great, but that only leaves Cahill. 

As great as Alli is, and I think he should start - he will be targeted for his short fuse by more experienced players and teams. Woy needs a word.

Oh and lets get all missed pens out the way now please. Hoddle says it was a positive penalty. What does that even mean?!

2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Nope! We look incredibly nervy at the back. Walker, Rose and Stones all very attack minded too. That's great, but that only leaves Cahill. 

As great as Alli is, and I think he should start - he will be targeted for his short fuse by more experienced players and teams. Woy needs a word.

Oh and lets get all missed pens out the way now please. Hoddle says it was a positive penalty. What does that even mean?!

If only we still had Eileen Drewery in the back room team.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.  What on Earth is he thinking about, experimenting in a pre-tournament friendly?  It's almost as if the fool wants a Plan B...

If he had a plan A it might be handy.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Not convinced he can take all the flak for there being a complete lack of English talent available!

You can't polish a turd and with the distinct lack of good English defenders I think any manager is going to struggle to win games against top teams. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not convinced he can take all the flak for there being a complete lack of English talent available!

You can't polish a turd and with the distinct lack of good English defenders I think any manager is going to struggle to win games against top teams. 

I sort of agree, but I think we all expect that his selection for the first game will see Rooney back in, Sterling will play and he will attempt to shoe horn in a probably not fully fit Wilshere and ignore the players who have been in form for most of the season and have starred in many of the better results, it's what all English coaches have done at tournaments since 1970 with a slight departure in 1990 and 1996.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

We qualified with a 100% record and the best goal difference of any team and, over the past year, we've beaten 2 of the 3 favourites in friendlies over the past year.  We've played poorly tonight in a friendly where the squad have had two days of training and  are missing 8 players bbut we've won anyway and Turkey certainly aren't a terrible side by a long shot.

I'm not convinced we'll do brilliantly in the Euros but much of that is due to defensive deficiencies which any manager would face - of all centre-backs reasonably in contention for an England place, only one is a first-team regular.  That's not really Hodgson's fault.

I'm not claiming Hodgson is a brilliant manager but I'm also not convinced he's done a bad job, or that there is another manager waiting in the wings who would do significantly better.  What I am convinced on is that, before a major tournament, the only thing more tedious than the casual supporters who turn up for major tournaments are convinced we're going to storm it is the negative dullards making whiney comments even when England win.  It's unnecessary and it's boring. 

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I sort of agree, but I think we all expect that his selection for the first game will see Rooney back in, Sterling will play and he will attempt to shoe horn in a probably not fully fit Wilshere and ignore the players who have been in form for most of the season and have starred in many of the better results, it's what all English coaches have done at tournaments since 1970 with a slight departure in 1990 and 1996.

It might be fairer to criticise Hodgson for that once he's actually done it.  To be fair to the guy, he's constantly referred to as a safe manger who perseveres with a tried and tested selection but he was quick to bring Alli and Dier in when they started well at the beginning of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 of the 3 you name don't start.

It's also worth remembering it's not just about the first game.  In both 1990 and 1996 we were pretty dire in our first matches and we didn't really get going in Italia '90 until Platt came off the bench in the second round and did enough to convince Robson to start him for the rest of the tournament.  Teams can evolve during tournaments.

6 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Am I being stupid, but why are Wright and Dixon saying Vardy dived.

The guy pushed him over, so that is a penalty.

It's a penalty these days but he clearly made the most of slight contact.

Personally  don't rate Stones. Whenever I've seen him play he always seems to try too much without doing the simple stuff first. He has potential but first choice for me is easily Cahill and Smalling.

Still think our best form of defence is attack. Kane, Vardy, Alli, Rooney (in midfield), and Rashford  (presuming he goes). Think that's the way forward.

Archived