IGNORED

'"Big" interview with Lee Johnson (Merged)

ciderbeans

To be honest, things can change very fast. Notice how he says "ideally 8, realistically 4". He's answered that question before the transfer window has opened, he knows that the fans don't like being let down. By saying "realistically 4" he's setting the bar low, we might sign more, which would exceed that expectation. Also, why would he say whether if any of the players we've been linked with in the media are true? He even said that he's not going to respond to questions relating to players in an open manner, the cards are "close to his chest". What will be will be at the end of the day, but I don't think that we will make a repeat of last summer at all. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The season has literally just finished. Let's save the melodrama for another day! It's over two months until the new season kicks off. 

We were hoping for some early signings so surely we should have some early panic !!!  :shocking:

28 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

To be honest, things can change very fast. Notice how he says "ideally 8, realistically 4". He's answered that question before the transfer window has opened, he knows that the fans don't like being let down. By saying "realistically 4" he's setting the bar low, we might sign more, which would exceed that expectation. Also, why would he say whether if any of the players we've been linked with in the media are true? He even said that he's not going to respond to questions relating to players in an open manner, the cards are "close to his chest". What will be will be at the end of the day, but I don't think that we will make a repeat of last summer at all. 

Don't come on here with your common sense approach ,it won't be tolerated 

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Why would anyone trust a football club that has been shit since 1897?

I'll keep it simple. If the club and everything and everybody associated with it make you so bloody miserable why do you bother? 

SC also talked in terms of 3 Windows, and said we would need, if memory serves, something like 6 if we were promoted.

6 seems to me the sort of number Lee et al are looking at.  I guess they will be going for 4 first choice, 2 strong backups (including a goalie), and then look at u21s including the two strikers from the u21s last season, the under 21s who appeared for first team last season, and the two already signed since the end of our season.

There is no reason, except our inept policy re youth in the recent past, why our youth can't come in to the team.  Believe in Lee. I do.

13 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Exactly. 4 would be 4 times better than last summer. And look what a difference Matthews, Tomlin, Odemwingie and Goulbourne made mid season. 

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

We were hoping for some early signings so surely we should have some early panic !!!  :shocking:

No lack of panic, just confusion about where to post. Is panic about lack of transfers allowed on this page, or should it go on the transfers page. I don't want to post in the wrong place.

I'm not sure about departures either. Waggy leaving seems to have been moved to this page, so presumably the transfer page is for incoming players and this one for outgoing? I want to say some thing about the proposed swap with Matthews coming in and Flint going out and it's doing my head in....

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

No lack of panic, just confusion about where to post. Is panic about lack of transfers allowed on this page, or should it go on the transfers page. I don't want to post in the wrong place.

I'm not sure about departures either. Wagging leaving seems to have been moved to this page, so presumably the transfer page is for incoming players and this one for outgoing? I want to say some thing about the proposed swap with Matthews coming in and Flint going out and it's doing my head in....

If I were you I'd go for the scatter gun approach. Post on every forum and leave the Mods to delete or move them to the right one :clapping:

For anyone not pannicing, the end of last season we could just about fill a bench with young lads coming through. We have since lost 5 loans, and Waggy going. Add to that rumours that Flint may leave with no new signings anywhere to be seen, 

don't+panic.PNG

16 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Why would anyone trust a football club that has been shit since 1897?

Because things change , evolve . There was even a poster on here called " Always the Bridesmaid " had to change his pseudonym due to the team winning THE DOUBLE , most un-City like !

I'm not sure what people expect?

LJ to say in the media these are the players we want and this is how much we will pay for them....

He says it himself: a manager won't talk about this in the media for all the reasons he gives.

Look what happened when MA came in - loan signings galore. I'm not aware of any teams that have done their business yet, we don't even know what 24 teams will be in the league! 

Patience lads and ladies.

The fact that LJ and Mark Ashton are "shocked" by the money being asked for players unfortunately shows their lack of experience at this level. I think LJ will be a good manager for us but this is one of the drawbacks. Cotts and Keith Burt are probably quietly smiling to themselves since this is exactly what happened to them last Summer, the same could easily happen again. We start off with a small squad and say we won't pay silly money. Our original targets go to other clubs and as time goes on agents see we are getting desperate so ask even more when we enquire for players so we end up signing hardly anybody. We've got to be prepared to pay the going rate this time and get some in early or we'll be in trouble with no emergency loans, we might also have to get some long term loans before the window closes. 

17 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The fact that LJ and Mark Ashton are "shocked" by the money being asked for players unfortunately shows their lack of experience at this level. I think LJ will be a good manager for us but this is one of the drawbacks. Cotts and Keith Burt are probably quietly smiling to themselves since this is exactly what happened to them last Summer, the same could easily happen again. We start off with a small squad and say we won't pay silly money. Our original targets go to other clubs and as time goes on agents see we are getting desperate so ask even more when we enquire for players so we end up signing hardly anybody. We've got to be prepared to pay the going rate this time and get some in early or we'll be in trouble with no emergency loans, we might also have to get some long term loans before the window closes. 

There definitely seems to be a disconnect (an Ashton word no doubt) between our ambition and our transfer policy. Don't harp on about Premiership ambition then moan that we can't compete financially. 

The sensible ambition is to aim for mid-table safety, and to do so would take a handful of decent, sensible signings and some luck. 

I worry about selling Flint. Losing two characters in Flint and Waggy could dent that team spirit that we keep hearing about. It's difficult to replace players and maintain that togetherness.

Johnson must have more to him than he gave away in that interview...

16 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I am the Eggman, they are the Eggmen

I AM THE WALRUS!

Lennon and McCartney were stoned when they wrote that and on acid when they wrote Lucy in the Sky with diamonds.

Not relevant I know but just saying............,:facepalm:

Part of me says be patient and trust but I did that last summer and was let down. There is a conflict between what is said at times. We have premier league ambition but can't compete financially. Sometimes it would be easier to stop talking and just act. I get LJ needs to talk sometimes. He's the face of the club but MA and SL should just do their background work. 

We do need 4 and that'll be signings. Hopefully we can add another couple high functioning loans. I'm ok with some of the U21s being around as well. I'm ok with not being a top 6 team. Progress is important though. We need to add quality to this squad to have a better time staying up. Then do the same again in the coming Windows. I'm not expecting to win as often as we did the end of this season but I also expect more than 4 by January. If we can do that we've progressed. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Lennon and McCartney were stoned when they wrote that and on acid when they wrote Lucy in the Sky with diamonds.

Not relevant I know but just saying............,:facepalm:

Lennon and McCartney were stoned when they wrote that

All they said was ' this piece of Halibut is fit for Jéhovah.

I see no disconnect between the aim of reaching the Premiership and our cautious approach with transfer money.

We are not aiming for promotion next season but building a financially viable squad for promotion, with many coming through from u21s, in a few years time.  We have already secured two excellent new u21 signings for next season.  

The Times this week had a whole article on the wrong way to approach the Championship by spending money a club doesn't have in a disparate hope of promotion.  It also referred to clubs' closing their academies as short sighted.

City DO have the right policy - just BELIEVE.

Archived