IGNORED

England vs Australia

BRISTOL86

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People love to hate Sterling.  Wonder if other countries fans hate their own players 

No you're probably right, the Colombian fans for example are very tolerant.

I bet Andres Escobar wished a few people slagged him off on the internet...

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

No hatred in this thread that I've seen. Just don't think he's much good any more and being billy big balls when you've done f all tends to irritate people

You always get a nibble from RD when you date criticise Sterling! 

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

And to answer the question, yes other countries do dislike their own players when they are in the national team but playing badly. The Spanish in particular 

Heck, they dislike their own players when they're winning tournaments! We should be so lucky. 

6 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

No hatred in this thread that I've seen. Just don't think he's much good any more and being billy big balls when you've done f all tends to irritate people

Just short on confidence.  Can't understand why people have written him off already.  If he makes a mistake then people are more critical which is why I used the word 'hate'.

9 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Spot on, showed as a very young man that money was a bigger motivation even more than playing for his country, him and Manc deserve each other.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just short on confidence.  Can't understand why people have written him off already.  If he makes a mistake then people are more critical which is why I used the word 'hate'.

From what I can gather the one thing he's not short of is confidence!

I'm genuinely curious as to what his supporters feel he actually brings to the team? His end product, be that finishing/crossing is verging on comically bad.

Were it not for his pace I'd struggle to name a redeeming attribute based on this season's form, and even that's useless if you consistently fail to deliver an end product. 

22 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Out of interest who do u think will be the 2 to miss out . Sturridge and Townsend maybe or will he only take 2 keepers 

I think it *could* do Daniel Sturridge the world of good to be left behind. As Klopp said, he needs to understand pain and if he pulls out of training on the eve of the Euro's then he should take his medicine... Probably in Marbs and it'll probably do him no good. 

For a man that's had knock backs - man city, Chelsea, he sure does have some strong self belief. If he had the setbacks and reacted well to them - such as booted out of Liverpool and left out of the Euro's - it might ignite something in him. I'm not convinced considering his sustained self-belief and assurance. 

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Spot on, showed as a very young man that money was a bigger motivation even more than playing for his country, him and Manc deserve each other.

Yep, absolutely this. Showed himself for what he was during the whole transfer debacle and that's all well and good if you can back it up on the pitch, which he is yet to do. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From what I can gather the one thing he's not short of is confidence!

I'm genuinely curious as to what his supporters feel he actually brings to the team? His end product, be that finishing/crossing is verging on comically bad.

Were it not for his pace I'd struggle to name a redeeming attribute based on this season's form, and even that's useless if you consistently fail to deliver an end product. 

Every player can lose confidence.  

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think it *could* do Daniel Sturridge the world of good to be left behind. As Klopp said, he needs to understand pain and if he pulls out of training on the eve of the Euro's then he should take his medicine... Probably in Marbs and it'll probably do him no good. 

For a man that's had knock backs - man city, Chelsea, he sure does have some strong self belief. If he had the setbacks and reacted well to them - such as booted out of Liverpool and left out of the Euro's - it might ignite something in him. I'm not convinced considering his sustained self-belief and assurance. 

Those knock backs also made him minted for life so I'm sure that gave him enough self belief,what puts him apart from sterling is that sturridge is a good finisher,just for the life of me I don't know what sterling brings to any team apart from pace

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No no no once you're paid 140k a week apparently you lose the ability to ever doubt yourself, play badly or fail to find form. :facepalm:

Completely agree that Sterling has underperformed at Man City but he didn't ask to have a £50m price tag on him, it's just the way of football. As long as the effort is there then you can't really criticise him as a person. Just his performances.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Undoubtedly.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd like more than to be proved wrong and see him go on to be an England legend. Believe it or not I don't want promising young English players to fail. 

But his decision making, crossing and finishing need to come on immeasurably for him to kick on, he's so frustrating to watch. 

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

No no no once you're paid 140k a week apparently you lose the ability to ever doubt yourself, play badly or fail to find form. :facepalm:

Completely agree that Sterling has underperformed at Man City but he didn't ask to have a £50m price tag on him, it's just the way of football. As long as the effort is there then you can't really criticise him as a person. Just his performances.

and what will the excuse be next season?.

The bottom line is he would not get into Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid or Bayern Munich's teams, not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

and what will the excuse be next season?.

The bottom line is he would not get into Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid or Bayern Munich's teams, not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.

Well obviously! What are you even on about, no one has tried claiming otherwise!

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

He did basically ask to leave though

38 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Think you have to take 3 keepers. Frankly I'd rather see Townsend than Sterling but when Roy has a favourite it doesn't matter how badly they play it seems.

You do have to name 3 keepers but Republic of Ireland named Niall Quinn as there 3rd choice keeper for one of the tournaments in the 90s.

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Well obviously! What are you even on about, no one has tried claiming otherwise!

Sterling and Sturridge IMHO represent everything that is wrong about the English game, for instance I wonder if Pellegrini would have signed Sterling given a choice?, I know that is not his fault but a blind man could see that a 19 year old with delusions of grandeur who tired himself out trying to manufacture a move away was never going get much sympathy, a 19 year old should be playing and improving.

and pretty much every manager/coach cannot be wrong about Sturridge and his reaction to injuries.

14 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Those knock backs also made him minted for life so I'm sure that gave him enough self belief,what puts him apart from sterling is that sturridge is a good finisher,just for the life of me I don't know what sterling brings to any team apart from pace

To be honest I don't like either; just as I don't wilshere. Still at least Roy has taken golden boy off so he can't get injured (can't prove he runs for 90 mind) and Roy will feel he can take him to France. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sterling and Sturridge IMHO represent everything that is wrong about the English game, for instance I wonder if Pellegrini would have signed Sterling given a choice?, I know that is not his fault but a blind man could see that a 19 year old with delusions of grandeur who tired himself out trying to manufacture a move away was never going get much sympathy, a 19 year old should be playing and improving.

and pretty much every manager/coach cannot be wrong about Sturridge and his reaction to injuries.

I agree that the situation is symptomatic of everything wrong with modern football, not just the English game. But to suggest it's his fault or to criticise him for it is daft.

Archived