IGNORED

Permberton

Just an observation from what was said at the Community Trust evening a few weeks ago, Pembo said he was looking forward to seeing his wife and 'sleeping in my own bed for a change'. I didn't realise but his family must still be up north. He seemed fully committed to his job here and very professional but I would be surprised if time away from his family was now on his mind, especially with the change in manager ( he seemed to get on well with Lee from what he said, but he wasn't the manager he took the job with was he). No doubt he is Cotterill's mate but I don't think he enjoyed their last few weeks together, he said Cotterill was increasing withdrawn. Will he link up with him again, or maybe he will fancy taking charge of a team himself, don't know.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just an observation from what was said at the Community Trust evening a few weeks ago, Pembo said he was looking forward to seeing his wife and 'sleeping in my own bed for a change'. I didn't realise but his family must still be up north. He seemed fully committed to his job here and very professional but I would be surprised if time away from his family was now on his mind, especially with the change in manager ( he seemed to get on well with Lee from what he said, but he wasn't the manager he took the job with was he). No doubt he is Cotterill's mate but I don't think he enjoyed their last few weeks together, he said Cotterill was increasing withdrawn. Will he link up with him again, or maybe he will fancy taking charge of a team himself, don't know.

Worth bearing in mind that Pemberton joined to be O'Driscoll's assistant so I don't know how strong JP's bond with SC is (apart from their joint success with us of course).

1 hour ago, RedM said:

He managed to survive the SC era despite being appointed under SO'D so not sure LJ not being the man who brought him in is that important.

5 hours ago, 29AR said:

I would also add he supposidely was pretty quick to identify at a recent fan's event that he did try to impress upon SC the need to revert to 4 at the back... but nonetheless he didn't convince, he suggested SC took none of his opinions on board, but yet he was content to stick it out being an ignored AM...?

To clarify - by views of manager, I meant with regard to which staff he wants around him.

That's a good point though and it seems the players themselves thought we should play a back 4 at a meeting with JP. 

SC's stubbornness contributed to his downfall. 

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

To clarify - by views of manager, I meant with regard to which staff he wants around him.

That's a good point though and it seems the players themselves thought we should play a back 4 at a meeting with JP. 

SC's stubbornness contributed to his downfall. 

Ah no I get that and you're absolutely right; I was also musing was he happy to just have limited input in which case is that a credential you want in an AM: Someone content to have their views dismissed or limited input?

That said I'd be disappointed if he went because of the affinity, but like you also acknowledging we don't know how good he is and putting a cat amongst the pigeons playing devil's advocate. I could be way off though. 

54 minutes ago, BigTone said:

May as well. LJ seems intent on making us the Barnsley of the south which is starting to worry me a little

This is all based on stories from the EP. When LJ was interviewed about transfer targets mentiond in the press (eg Barnsley) he said they weren't the players we were actually going after, and it could well be the same with the coaching staff, so I suggest wait and see before writing Pembo off.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

This is all based on stories from the EP. When LJ was interviewed about transfer targets mentiond in the press (eg Barnsley) he said they weren't the players we were actually going after, and it could well be the same with the coaching staff, so I suggest wait and see before writing Pembo off.

I hope so because I think he's done / doing a good job

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Ah no I get that and you're absolutely right; I was also musing was he happy to just have limited input in which case is that a credential you want in an AM: Someone content to have their views dismissed or limited input?

That said I'd be disappointed if he went because of the affinity, but like you also acknowledging we don't know how good he is and putting a cat amongst the pigeons playing devil's advocate. I could be way off though. 

He's been part of some great times with Cotts. Also, some awful times with SOD and some mediocre times with SC at the end.

Who knows how good he is really. If LJ thinks Wright can do better, that's good enough for me.

12 hours ago, eardun said:

Worth bearing in mind that Pemberton joined to be O'Driscoll's assistant so I don't know how strong JP's bond with SC is (apart from their joint success with us of course).

You are absolutely right, along with @View from the Dolman, good point. I stand corrected, with all the managers we have got through I forgot he was here pre Cotterill. So yes he will have no over loyality to him. 

As another aside Pembo did talk like he was out there with the players training everyday, didn't strike me as a behind a desk sort of bloke at all. Would there be scope to bring in an assistant head coach to be the link between Pembo and Lee, now that we haven't got Manager and assistant as such? or is that just creating posts for the hell of it and then demoting Pembo to 'just' a coach?

16 hours ago, 29AR said:

I would also add he supposidely was pretty quick to identify at a recent fan's event that he did try to impress upon SC the need to revert to 4 at the back... but nonetheless he didn't convince, he suggested SC took none of his opinions on board, but yet he was content to stick it out being an ignored AM...?

He did say he tried to tell Cotterill to change formation, 'we all did' (and Flint nodded) but it was 'like banging my head against a brick wall'

This was in response to a question I asked at the event. I asked 'what was the first thing Lee changed when he arrived and did you (Pembo) agree?' He laughed and said 'good question, who wrote it?' But I bottled it and didn't own up!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

He did say he tried to tell Cotterill to change formation, 'we all did' (and Flint nodded) but it was 'like banging my head against a brick wall'

This was in response to a question I asked at the event. I asked 'what was the first thing Lee changed when he arrived and did you (Pembo) agree?' He laughed and said 'good question, who wrote it?' But I bottled it and didn't own up!

Unfortunately for SC it seems the players lost belief in the system and once that happens it was always going to be an impossible task.

17 hours ago, RedM said:

HIs wife still lives & works in Sheffield.

2 hours ago, Just Red said:

Unfortunately for SC it seems the players lost belief in the system and once that happens it was always going to be an impossible task.

The players lost belief in it because it didn't work any more. It's not unfortunate for SC that that happened, it's his own fault for not recognising it.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

The players lost belief in it because it didn't work any more. It's not unfortunate for SC that that happened, it's his own fault for not recognising it.

Yes, and to add to that I think in times like this they looked at him to manage, to lead to have a plan. Like anyone would in any job, you look to the person who is paid and skilled to manage the situation. Unfortunately it seems they were given the message to carry on doing what wasn't working with the fingers crossed approached. It's hard to have real belief in that.

JOHN Pemberton will remain as Bristol City's assistant head coach, but there could still be a role for Tommy Wright if the Robins choose to make their move for the Barnsley assistant, the Post understands.

Reports earlier in the week linked City with a swoop for Wright - Lee Johnson's former assistant at Oakwell and Oldham Athletic - and that in turn immediately placed uncertainty over Pemberton's future at Ashton Gate.

Former Leeds defender Pemberton is highly regarded by City's staff and players and it is thought that he would remain in his position with Wright fulfilling a different job.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/John-Pemberton-staying-Bristol-City-Barnsley-s/story-29350764-detail/story.html

• Admin
3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

JOHN Pemberton will remain as Bristol City's assistant head coach, but there could still be a role for Tommy Wright if the Robins choose to make their move for the Barnsley assistant, the Post understands.

Reports earlier in the week linked City with a swoop for Wright - Lee Johnson's former assistant at Oakwell and Oldham Athletic - and that in turn immediately placed uncertainty over Pemberton's future at Ashton Gate.

Former Leeds defender Pemberton is highly regarded by City's staff and players and it is thought that he would remain in his position with Wright fulfilling a different job.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/John-Pemberton-staying-Bristol-City-Barnsley-s/story-29350764-detail/story.html

That puts that discussion to be then

At the end of the day it's Little Lees decision to go after Wright, we haven't got him yet , I believe he knows what he's doing. Pembo was part of the success and failure under the tenure of Cotts and helped us turn a corner. Be sad if he goes but as Frank would say "that's life"

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Stockhausen reporting that Pembo will stay at the club even if Wright is taken on.

He must have made a phone call because I have n't seen this anywhere on OTIB .

Unless he read my post #45?

Archived