IGNORED

Gary O'Neil (Confirmed)

ZiderEyed

14 hours ago, RedM said:

Someone who  has seen him told me it was 'really small', I'm not saying that's a bad thing by the way, just interesting that was their initial reaction to him too.

But is he small................. or could he just have been far away????   

Is this true of is someone having fun with Wiki?

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2000–2007 Portsmouth 174 (16)
2003 Walsall (loan) 7 (0)
2004 Real Madrid (loan) 9 (9)
2007–2011 Middlesbrough 109 (8)
2011–2013 West Ham United 48 (3)
2013–2014 Queens Park Rangers 29 (1)
2014–2016 Norwich City 31 (0)
2016– Bristol City 0 (0)
National team
2001–2002 England U19 8 (0)
2002–2003 England U20 7 (0)
2003–2004 England U21 9 (0)

EDIT Yes would seem he was at Cardiff some fool having fun with Wiki :D

10 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Norwich fans seem to view him as a bit of a liability and not at all bothered..rhumord to be(still)on a driving ban that makes this move comfy for family reasons.also 'doing 'ees badges,so maybe an eye to helping on the coaching side as is ambitious for managment.

Mixed bag of reviews, pretty much like any player. Personally, I think it's a good signing, especially considering the fact we've not had to buy him. We'll know when he's played a few games for us! 

3 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Mixed bag of reviews, pretty much like any player. Personally, I think it's a good signing, especially considering the fact we've not had to buy him. We'll know when he's played a few games for us! 

Norwich saying he is not the player they want to keep re;promotion ambition..that's not a worry really for us.they're calling him 'mercenary',my instincts say he'll roll his sleeves up...

15 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Norwich saying he is not the player they want to keep re;promotion ambition..that's not a worry really for us.they're calling him 'mercenary',my instincts say he'll roll his sleeves up...

This is par for the course when fans are upset about being snubbed by one of their players, they just rubbish him. He's just what we need and will bring on our own youngsters more quickly.

50 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

The vast majority of Norwich comments are saying they are gutted

19 minutes ago, City169 said:

The vast majority of Norwich comments are saying they are gutted

Yup from what I read, they're a bit disappointed. Always thought he gave 100% and would've been perfect for their fight to go back up. However the two years seem to have sealed it as they weren't keen on him if they went back up. 

16 hours ago, cynic said:

We still have a relatively young Williams as a left sided CB.

He's played over 100 games for us and rarely let down himself or the team.

Kept out of the team by Baker last season, but he may yet come of age - pre-season is vital for him.

I don't think Williams would ever let us down, he's a wholehearted player who will always do his best.

The question is whether he's good enough, and he looked considerably ill at ease at this level on numerous occasions last season.

There seems little point in signing players like O'Neil - and hopefully Tomlin - without bolstering the defence to a similar degree.

Williams imo is a reasonable L1 player who may or may not one day go on to be Championship standard. We don't have time to wait and see if that's the case, we need to sign a minimum of 2 new centre backs now, of a higher standard than Williams, and I fully expect us to do just that.

I only expect Williams to be called upon as a temporary replacement, filling in for for injuries or suspensions, at least I hope that will be the case.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think Williams would ever let us down, he's a wholehearted player who will always do his best.

The question is whether he's good enough, and he looked considerably ill at ease at this level on numerous occasions last season.

There seems little point in signing players like O'Neil - and hopefully Tomlin - without bolstering the defence to a similar degree.

Williams imo is a reasonable L1 player who may or may not one day go on to be Championship standard. We don't have time to wait and see if that's the case, we need to sign a minimum of 2 new centre backs now, of a higher standard than Williams, and I fully expect us to do just that.

I only expect Williams to be called upon as a temporary replacement, filling in for for injuries or suspensions, at least I hope that will be the case.

He was ill at ease in, at that time, a very shaky defence in a very shaky team. Even Flint hardly covered himself in glory and it was only after SC left that the defence tightened up by which time DW was out of the picture.

The problem with us at BCFC is that so often we pass over youth in favour of the finished article. Our ability to bring through our young players is in our ability to play them at the level we require. DW made his League debut season before last and has done pretty well overall so I'd like to see him given more game time where it matters.

Same goes for Wes.

It's a bit like saving an avocado until it ripens only to discover it's too late to add it to your crayfish sandwich at half time. Sorta thing. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

to be fair, he was asked to play left back and left wing back alot last season, he was always going to look ill at ease there as its not his natural position, when he actually played centre back in a back 4 he looked fine,

I'd say the same about ayling in the back 3 last season, he looked shaky then, but never got a look in when we went back to a back four because of Mathews flint and baker and being in the worng place at the wrong time

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He was ill at ease in, at that time, a very shaky defence in a very shaky team. Even Flint hardly covered himself in glory and it was only after SC left that the defence tightened up by which time DW was out of the picture.

The problem with us at BCFC is that so often we pass over youth in favour of the finished article. Our ability to bring through our young players is in our ability to play them at the level we require. DW made his League debut season before last and has done pretty well overall so I'd like to see him given more game time where it matters.

Same goes for Wes.

It's a bit like saving an avocado until it ripens only to discover it's too late to add it to your crayfish sandwich at half time. Sorta thing. 

Perhaps, but i see 'youth' in football terms as being about 18-21 max., and 23 going on 24 is pushing it a bit imo. Remember Gow and Merrick competed regularly at this level from the age of 17.

Yes, the defence wasn't great early on but DW stated himself he was disappointed with his individual form last season, perhaps partly disappointed and discouraged because the Championship proved a bigger step up than he'd imagined.  

I'm sure we'll be signing at least 2 CB's, likely on 3 year contracts. Maybe one of them on a season long loan, but either way Williams will remain in the background and could feasibly (no idea of the length of his very quietly awarded new contract) have a City future as a permanent 2nd reserve until he's getting on for 27, and I'm not sure that's either good value for City or beneficial to his career.

We obviously view him differently. I accept he's likeable, he's a trier, he was pretty solid at L1 level but I've had real doubts for some time that he'll ever be Championship standard. If the club want to progress - and I think we're seeing signs that they definitely do - they simply have to sign better players, and any player who can't keep up has to be moved on. Any sentiment for our squad of L1 promotion heroes goes out the window, as we've seen with the departures of Jet, Cunningham, Osborne, Wade, Waggy etc.

As for Wes, at almost 2 years younger than DW he's far more worth persevering with imo. Lightning quick young forwards with an eye for goal are hardly ten a penny. Unlike DW he can be a potential game changer, either setting up or scoring when coming off the bench, and still has plenty of time to gradually cement a starting place. I do suspect this may be his last season as a City reserve/ outward loanee though. I get the impression the lad's ambitious and, after his recent experience with the Welsh squad and his successful spell at Fleetwood, will be keen to be starting regularly now and will almost certainly choose to move on if the coming season doesn't markedly improve the prospect of that happening at AG.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Perhaps, but i see 'youth' in football terms as being about 18-21 max., and 23 going on 24 is pushing it a bit imo. Remember Gow and Merrick competed regularly at this level from the age of 17.

Yes, the defence wasn't great early on but DW stated himself he was disappointed with his individual form last season, perhaps partly disappointed and discouraged because the Championship proved a bigger step up than he'd imagined.  

I'm sure we'll be signing at least 2 CB's, likely on 3 year contracts. Maybe one of them on a season long loan, but either way Williams will remain in the background and could feasibly (no idea of the length of his very quietly awarded new contract) have a City future as a permanent 2nd reserve until he's getting on for 27, and I'm not sure that's either good value for City or beneficial to his career.

We obviously view him differently. I accept he's likeable, he's a trier, he was pretty solid at L1 level but I've had real doubts for some time that he'll ever be Championship standard. If the club want to progress - and I think we're seeing signs that they definitely do - they simply have to sign better players, and any player who can't keep up has to be moved on. Any sentiment for our squad of L1 promotion heroes goes out the window, as we've seen with the departures of Jet, Cunningham, Osborne, Wade, Waggy etc.

As for Wes, at almost 2 years younger than DW he's far more worth persevering with imo. Lightning quick young forwards with an eye for goal are hardly ten a penny. Unlike DW he can be a potential game changer, either setting up or scoring when coming off the bench, and still has plenty of time to gradually cement a starting place. I do suspect this may be his last season as a City reserve/ outward loanee though. I get the impression the lad's ambitious and, after his recent experience with the Welsh squad and his successful spell at Fleetwood, will be keen to be starting regularly now and will almost certainly choose to move on if the coming season doesn't markedly improve the prospect of that happening at AG.

I certainly agree about Wes- if he's not in the match day squad or goes on loan to Div1 then what's the point of him staying?

Derek has only had 2  seasons since making his full League debut hence why I think of him as yoof.  I'm not yet ready to judge his Championship credentials . Him or Luke Freeman, although I don't get sentimental about any player as they come and they go and I only ever remember the incredibly good ones and the incredibly bad ones.

although I really did like that Jet fella

50 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I certainly agree about Wes- if he's not in the match day squad or goes on loan to Div1 then what's the point of him staying?

Derek has only had 2  seasons since making his full League debut hence why I think of him as yoof.  I'm not yet ready to judge his Championship credentials . Him or Luke Freeman, although I don't get sentimental about any player as they come and they go and I only ever remember the incredibly good ones and the incredibly bad ones.

although I really did like that Jet fella

DW made his solitary Villa app. in 2012 (just) and made his City debut in August '13, so 3 full seasons at AG, and 4 since debut.

But I take your point that he's not that old, not that experienced and there remains the possibility he may yet markedly improve. This of course must be City's hope with the new contract, however quietly awarded, and however secretive it's length.

The difference with Freeman is he was outstanding in L1, we all saw that and every time City were on the box the commentators were gushing about him. There's every reason to hope he can get that form back. Personally I reckon he will.

BTW.,that last line is miniscule, is the penultimate word 'Smith'? ;)

I don't think he needs to improve much technically - from a defensive point of view, what he does need to do is strengthen-up.  The early games of last season it was evident how much DW and AF (yes AF) were bullied by Championship strikers.  I know he has been working on this area of fitness.

I think he did okay at LWB, he performed better than JB there in the earlier part of the season.  Goal v BHA away, cross for Wilbs v Forest.  Not a natural there, but didn't let us down.

Could still be a solid Chsmpionship defender.

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Obviously been doctored, as you can see my username is Miah Dennehy :)

This is a Gary O'Neil thread. Are you hijacking it because you want to distract from the fact that Rovers would never make a signing of this quality, despite the 'fact' that you're at EXACTLY the same level as us?

Archived