IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

You are way off the mark, wanting to put on the shirt, and perhaps just a bit of loyalty too is a an ingredient that matters, a hell of a lot if you are to be a team that wins things. I don't want a player anywhere near the club who doesn't want to play for us, and neither do the staff owner, and 99% of the fans I suspect. 

But you post sums up the self serving money grabbing ethos that many footballers buy in to, and you think that's fine? I don't, I rather anyone that wants to 'talk to another club(s)'' get the hell out asap. Fact is he wasn't worth £11/15m we just completed what is perhaps the most remarkable day in the Clubs history, and hopefully a big turning point in our future, this is a fantastic football club at the moment, and there is no room for the likes of any Billy B00locks, so thanks JK , and thanks for the 9mil :yes: 

So I take it we should send back all our recent signings from this summer for behaving that way to their old clubs? And you've always hated JK since he joined for doing the same thing to Angers a year ago? In fact just abolish transfers completely, everyone just plays for £50 a week for their local side, any more and you're a billy big bollocks out for cash and nothing else in life? I'm sure you ignore any interesting job offers that come your way in your personal life as well just like you expect them to.

Why you think he doesn't want to wear the shirt (and it is just that, a shirt at the end of the day representing his employer) seems odd to me. Probably means more than that to some players, probably means less to others. He tried his best and did extremely well for us for a year while he was here. He's a lad in his prime years moving to a more prestigious club to play football with in his mind a better prospect of playing in the Prem at some point which is what he wants - and who can blame him? Players can be passionate and play their best for a club, move on, and then do the same elsewhere - look at Flint, plays his heart out here, but if he got an offer from a Prem club he'd probably go and do the same there, and good luck to him if that happens.

Why shouldn't he be self serving - who else should he serve? He's a football player, not a slave to the club. If you want anyone that wants to "talk to another club(s)" to get the hell out asap then we're going to be left with 0 players I'm afraid.

You just sound very bitter that he's giving it a shot somewhere else.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

You are way off the mark, wanting to put on the shirt, and perhaps just a bit of loyalty too is a an ingredient that matters, a hell of a lot if you are to be a team that wins things. I don't want a player anywhere near the club who doesn't want to play for us, and neither do the staff owner, and 99% of the fans I suspect. 

But you post sums up the self serving money grabbing ethos that many footballers buy in to, and you think that's fine? I don't, I rather anyone that wants to 'talk to another club(s)'' get the hell out asap. Fact is he wasn't worth £11/15m we just completed what is perhaps the most remarkable day in the Clubs history, and hopefully a big turning point in our future, this is a fantastic football club at the moment, and there is no room for the likes of any Billy B00locks, so thanks JK , and thanks for the 9mil :yes: 

Strange terminology! So for you when did it become fantastic & when would that cease in your opinion?

9 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

For someone who gets caught offside so many times, got to be good business? I did like Kodjia but everyone has a price.

H'mm. Junior Bent used to be "caught offside" quite a lot. Often when he wasn't...

7 hours ago, Just Red said:

He's 27 and technically behind and can't speak English and can't seem to understand the offside rule.

This is a magnificent deal for the club.

I felt that last season he did very well for someone who hadn't been to any of the clubs before, let alone played against those opponents.

Of course, it workes both ways, but I think he'll benefit from last seasons experience and to be fair we didn't want to sell him, but, he wanted the opportunity to talk to potential buyers and with that in mind we would have been naive to stand in his way.

we got what we wanted for him as their was more than one suitor and I agree with other posters that he (like Hartley) wasn't here long enough to be considered a City legend. 

8 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The best way to take a step back is to splash the cash and have the signing flop. Forest, Derby and Blackburn have all tried and failed to buy their way out of this league with expensive flops. And breaking even is more important than playing top flight football. The Lansdowns won't be here for ever. That profit can go towards a better academy, perhaps one day a new stand funded by the club and not SLs back pocket. This is not football manager or Fifa where the aim is to spend your entire budget every window. I'd rather we turned a profit for a few seasons, then upgraded our academy and youth scouting network meaning we don't need to buy as many players but produce our own. Anyway, we have proved that you can get a 20 goal a season striker for 2 million, and we already have an excellent one in Tammy.

Why would " splashing the cash" which, BTW has come from the sale of a player not from SL's pocket, guarantee a 'flop'? Its about spending the money wisely on the right player(s), that is not easy but its why LJ,MA and DK get paid to do what they do. Tammy is excellent, but he is 18,( and he is also not ours and probably never will be) heaven forbid he gets an injury as under your plan our only striker is 37 and clearly not up to it at this level any longer, time waits for no man. Yes we unearthed for £2m a 20 goal striker, how often does that happen? if it was that straightforward every team in the championship and above would be doing it.

I am all for developing the academy but for every Joe Bryan you will get ten fails that end up in L2 or playing non league. Don't misunderstand, I despise what football has become but the genie is out of the bottle and for clubs like ours to prosper we need to get into the EPL ASAP. We would probably become a 'yo-yo' club for a few years but we would have the funding, even when relegated, to build and grow.

The key to sustainability is to get Ashton Gate as full as possible every second Saturday and to do that moving forward you have to capture the youth before they become addicted to Sky / BT as their football fix. In order to do that you have to have a number of things and one of those is 'ambition' which , as a club, you have to keep showing.

So here's my analysis the morning after...

He was a very good player at our level. Frustrating at times, but up there with the best we've seen. 

However, amidst rumours (which I choose to believe) his end at the club has left a sour taste... More so than when Maynard seemed to anger all and sundry by merely refusing to sign a new contract. 

Will I applaud him in the future, I'm not sure.

The board did an excellent job of selling a player whose stock was high while they had the chance. A player who made it childishly clear he didn't want to be here.

I hope his career has seen its highest point. 

Au revoir Jimmy and thanks for last season.  

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Again you have it all wrong! I am delighted he is off to Villa, it's a steal for us.

And the rest of you post probably best reflects the attitude of a number of players who are in it just for the big bucks, have no passion for the club the play for, and is the root cause why the England Football win nothing. The squad that LJ is assembling I believe do care about the club, and that for me is the most important factor, it's a simple logic that team spirit can win you things, without not having any Big Time Charlies, I give you Leicester City!

Footballers care about themselves and their families, like most people in other lines of work. Some footballers develop an affinity with certain clubs, ones where they enjoy a bit of success, like winning a promotion. Finishing 18th doesn't qualify as that sort of "success." And footballers have been "in it just for the big bucks" and as many of them as they could get for longer than any of us watching now have been alive. Nothing new there.

Oh, and England won nothing in the 70s and 80s when there were very few overseas players, so I don't think we can put that one on them (Wales did alright with fewer players to select from).

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Why would " splashing the cash" which, BTW has come from the sale of a player not from SL's pocket, guarantee a 'flop'? Its about spending the money wisely on the right player(s), that is not easy but its why LJ,MA and DK get paid to do what they do. Tammy is excellent, but he is 18,( and he is also not ours and probably never will be) heaven forbid he gets an injury as under your plan our only striker is 37 and clearly not up to it at this level any longer, time waits for no man. Yes we unearthed for £2m a 20 goal striker, how often does that happen? if it was that straightforward every team in the championship and above would be doing it.

I am all for developing the academy but for every Joe Bryan you will get ten fails that end up in L2 or playing non league. Don't misunderstand, I despise what football has become but the genie is out of the bottle and for clubs like ours to prosper we need to get into the EPL ASAP. We would probably become a 'yo-yo' club for a few years but we would have the funding, even when relegated, to build and grow.

The key to sustainability is to get Ashton Gate as full as possible every second Saturday and to do that moving forward you have to capture the youth before they become addicted to Sky / BT as their football fix. In order to do that you have to have a number of things and one of those is 'ambition' which , as a club, you have to keep showing.

I never said don't spend the money. On this thread or another I said I'd rather we bought in two youngish strikers (under 24) for no more than 4 million. Gustav (the swedish guy we seem to be about to sign) is ideal for me. What we must not do is spend a huge wad on one player. SL making his millions in stocks knows that you spread your money out and that's what we must do. And over time we can gradually get bigger and bigger players. 

Mark Ashton has played an absolute blinder in my opinion. Here are my reasons why it's a good deal:

1) JK is 27 years old & his stock is still on the rise, a quiet 2nd season and he's back to £3m valuation by the summer (& another year older)

2) He was technically/tactically quite a way behind where you'd expect a 27 year old to be (see offside count & communication issues)

3) The player wanted out & keeping him against his will would have hurt us. (14-15 squad dynamic & team spirit in the dressing room was huge.)

4) Cash is king - £12,500,000 profit to re-invest now or in January may make all the difference to our season.

I must admit to being more excited by Kodjia's arrival than anyone in recent memory (even Tomlin), but when a player wants to go you can really only cash in as much as possible and wave them off..

Another new face or 2 on deadline day would be top, if not then we march on to January when (hopefully) our improving league position will attract a few big names.

Archived