IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

Best of luck Jimmy, some great goals last season - key to us staying up and a fantastic financial return.  

Well done everybody at the club for a really successful bit of negotiation, let's hope we can get a couple more in before the end of tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn't appear to be any well wishes by our players on Twitter that I've seen like there were for Williams. Maybe it's true that he didn't fully integrate with the team. Obviously the language issue adds to that. 

Maybe there are private well wishes. I'm sure there are.

Cracking business and what modern football is unfortunately all about.

We pluck a guy out of relative obscurity and give him a foundation to benefit both the club and himself.

He keeps us in the Championship and gets his dream move. We get around seven times what we paid for him. 

Clinical and modern.

But, if we'd found ourselves back in league one with this stadium it would have been a disaster.

So we owe JK a lot for that magical scoring season and he owes us a lot. 

And to quote a horrible phrase that I despise, it's a "win win" situation....

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We pluck a guy out of relative obscurity and give him a foundation to benefit both the club and himself.

He keeps us in the Championship and gets his dream move. We get around seven times what we paid for him. 

Clinical and modern.

But, if we'd found ourselves back in league one with this stadium it would have been a disaster.

.... agree with all that and it's a good pitch to any young promising player that they can come to City and progress. 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Clinical and modern.

Missed reading the last 10 or so pages, but my sentiments too.

I know you disagree, but for me, he became a cult hero 2 minutes into his home debut.  He got fans off their seats both in amazement at some of his skills, and was frustrating too.

He worked hard for us all last season, we flogged him at times.  

This season, he's had to play second fiddle to the impressive Abraham, and as such, £15m represents a deal we couldn't turn down, no matter what division it came from.

We don't know the true story behind Tuesday's team selection, neither Jimmy or Tammy started.  Let's not make unsubstantiated claims.  LJ has told us about Saturday, let's leave it at that, and remember what he did for us.

I don't begrudge him a move to a club of the reputation of Villa, however I think he has helped give us some further financial clout to go and chase targets that can make us into a real challenging for play-offs team.

Thanks Jimmy and also great work Bristol City.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Missed reading the last 10 or so pages, but my sentiments too.

I know you disagree, but for me, he became a cult hero 2 minutes into his home debut.  He got fans off their seats both in amazement at some of his skills, and was frustrating too.

He worked hard for us all last season, we flogged him at times.  

This season, he's had to play second fiddle to the impressive Abraham, and as such, £15m represents a deal we couldn't turn down, no matter what division it came from.

We don't know the true story behind Tuesday's team selection, neither Jimmy or Tammy started.  Let's not make unsubstantiated claims.  LJ has told us about Saturday, let's leave it at that, and remember what he did for us.

I don't begrudge him a move to a club of the reputation of Villa, however I think he has helped give us some further financial clout to go and chase targets that can make us into a real challenging for play-offs team.

Thanks Jimmy and also great work Bristol City.

Well said Dave. I'm not sure I disagreed with him being a cult hero, I disagreed with him being called a City legend...

2 hours ago, redsince66 said:

Speechless. See you in League 1.

Really? 

How anyone can be cheesed off with this transfer window, even with no more incoming, is beyond me.

The bloke wanted out (v. poor choice of team to go to though, think he's been a bit of a plank there)

We cashed in and have a championship record fee under our belts which will help us attract other players from foreign/lower leagues in future.

I would have been annoyed if we cashed out cheaply, or if he wanted to stay, but this has to make our life easier attracting others in future.

This is long term thinking by the club, Kodjia wasn't going to be the player that catapulted us to the prem this season imo and especially if he didn't want to be here.

Good work by all.

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

All he has is an Instagram that the public can view, his Facebook has been made more private now. He left a message there. 

image.png

Hasn't he taken his bandage wiv im? Or is that gonna cost Villa another £15m?

He is a decent Championship striker and will get 15-20 goals. But for £15m and he wants out - great deal for us. Would have taken £7m upwards. Especially with Tammy on board for the season.

Really good feeling about all the business we are doing. Very smart. Looking for the gem at £2m then selling big.

13 minutes ago, everreddy said:

Hasn't he taken his bandage wiv im? Or is that gonna cost Villa another £15m?

When he gets sold for £25m he'll take his shirt off, it's like an expensive version of buying the peanuts in the pub to see the KP girl.

Good business for City and good luck to Jimmy. He did us proud and deserves to progress.

BUT - when talking about speculation about Kodjia moving on, Geoff Twentypence played a recording of a (pre-season)  interview with SL on last Saturday's RB programme in which SL said he would never be sold to another Championship club. 

Oh well @ £11M + more to come, we forgive you SL.

Come to think of it, when sitting in my seat in the Dolman, now looking over to the magnificent new Lansdown stand, I could forgive him almost anything ! 

The new AG is now a stadium fit for Prem League football - After thrashing Villa in the 2nd half,  I say - bring it on ! 

Good luck to him. No hard feelings, he's got a young family to think of. Worked hard for us last season and did the business.

But was he the player to lead the line in a more tactically adept side?...I don't think so.

Regardless of that...a profit on this scale is preposterous! And unprecedented for us. Great bit of business for City. As of now I can't help feeling that Villa have been fleeced. Time will tell. Need to invest that profit wisely.

6 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Hope we go for two relative unknowns upfront, maybe younger guys and spend no more than 4 million. That leaves us well in the black regarding transfers to balance the books and maybe we will turn a profit with the new stand for the first time in years.

And what is the point in that? We are talking about a football club not a bank! We should aim to breakeven yes, but make a profit and go backwards or stand still is not the point after creating a 27k fantastic stadium. The point is the EPL, like it or not, and to get there the money for JK needs to provide a solid replacement.

Great bit of business there. 

No doubt Kodge will be missed, he was a fans favourite in a similar sense to that Adomah was - a flair player who could occasionally repay you a large proportion of the entrance fee in an instant. There was always an anticipation whenever he picked up the ball, but an equal amount of frustration too. 

It was hard to see Albert go - he was all we had - but we understood and wished him well. He was a refreshing ray of light in an otherwise bland, utterly forgettable team.

This time it is easier for a number of reasons. He has only been here a season, the personnel left behind are immeasurably better, and of course that stupendous price tag/profit! 

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

And what is the point in that? We are talking about a football club not a bank! We should aim to breakeven yes, but make a profit and go backwards or stand still is not the point after creating a 27k fantastic stadium. The point is the EPL, like it or not, and to get there the money for JK needs to provide a solid replacement.

The best way to take a step back is to splash the cash and have the signing flop. Forest, Derby and Blackburn have all tried and failed to buy their way out of this league with expensive flops. And breaking even is more important than playing top flight football. The Lansdowns won't be here for ever. That profit can go towards a better academy, perhaps one day a new stand funded by the club and not SLs back pocket. This is not football manager or Fifa where the aim is to spend your entire budget every window. I'd rather we turned a profit for a few seasons, then upgraded our academy and youth scouting network meaning we don't need to buy as many players but produce our own. Anyway, we have proved that you can get a 20 goal a season striker for 2 million, and we already have an excellent one in Tammy.

Archived