IGNORED

England v Russia

reddogkev

13 minutes ago, 22A said:

One good thing I suppose. If England had won two or three nil, everyone would be saying "We'll walk this and win the cup easy".

Then there'd be a public outcry when they don't win it.

Good point. And the worst thing is going into playing Wales being complacent. We now know we have to all be at our best to win.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair to say point 2 is a slightly bigger statement than points 1 and 3? Quite some claim!

It's like my mrs texting me....

"Hi, three things...

1. We need milk

2. I'm pregnant

3. Can you put the bins out"

Not even close. Number 2 should be; I'm pregnant and the father is Ian Holloway!

You know finishing 2nd in this group is as good as finishing 1st in my opinion. Runner up Group B faces Runner up Group F which is weakest group.

Winner in this group faces 3rd in Group C or D which are easily all as good as the weakest 3 in Group F.

Clever Woy going for Runner up spot I see.

I thought Kane, Rose and Walker looked below par - hangover from their title run in? 

If England play like they did last night against Wales and Slovakia, they'll qualify, but I do wonder where the goals might come from.

On another note, Rooney is no Paul Scholes, and I was disappointed he was in midfield, but his performance made me think it could work.

I'm still disappointed Drinkwater missed out, he put Vardy through a couple of times in one of the friendlies and that combination would probably have been a useful tool.

16 hours ago, The Batman said:

Dier and Walker were our best player. That's saying something. 2 defensive players. Russia were god awful and we were little better. 

Don't be fooled into thinking we played well. Had we won 1-0 it still would have been a poor performance, but it's a winning performance.

I couldn't give a monkeys what the score was for 99% of the match. The only score that matters is the one at one second after the final whistle is blown.

Kane looked exhausted after 75 odd mins, we still had a sub to use, should have brought on vardy. Milner was shite for the 10 mins he was on. Lost his man on a previous attack then allowed the guy who crossed it in for the equalizer to run by him.

What is Gary Neville doing on the side? Surely playing under SAF for so long, he would have stolen his ideas about how to work the game in your favour. Does he just bring the balls to training or does hodgson ask for his input???

Rant rant rant rant.

It's a shame for you that you missed such a great performance - I mean clearly you must have been watching something else.

one of the best tournament performances for a while

15 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It's a shame for you that you missed such a great performance - I mean clearly you must have been watching something else.

one of the best tournament performances for a while

We played better against Italy in the opening game of world cup in 2014 and lost. Italy are much better than Russia.

Russia were dog shite and we wernt too much better. 

10 minutes ago, The Batman said:

We played better against Italy in the opening game of world cup in 2014 and lost. Italy are much better than Russia.

Russia were dog shite and we wernt too much better. 

You're talking rubbish IMO. We've probably been the best team so far

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair to say point 2 is a slightly bigger statement than points 1 and 3? Quite some claim!

It's like my mrs texting me....

"Hi, three things...

1. We need milk

2. I'm pregnant

3. Can you put the bins out"

Got to ask yourself the question though, as I have, .. Knowing what relatively little, but enough, that we do of the ever increasing censorship and authoritarian rule of Putrid's Russia I wonder if these thugs in black are brave enough to face the authorities when they arrive back home at passport control? You might then say this gives some credence to what i am saying; no because they are funded directly by the state in a clandestine FSB operation. For all we know there might be Russian's or 'English' in disguise mingling with the English fans and fomenting retaliation back. We know from French authorities that French thugs have teamed up with these Russian elements. Putin is a real nasty piece of work; would not put anything past him.

Hopefully the sanction against the Russians will ensure it all backfires and blows up in their face. What is the final decision on kicking them out of the Olympics ? I really hope we don't have a World Cup in Russia; it will be absolute carnage.

36 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The difference is mate the best teams find a way to win and manage games better like France did, like Germany will etc, etc, it's all very good looking pretty, England seem to struggle to find the right balance either too negative or to naive.

16 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A harsh assessment @29AR. We dominated the game tonight, had the majority of possession, created a number of good chances and limited the opposition to hardly any. If you played that exact game 10 times we would probably have won it 8 or 9 times. That says to me that the manager fundamentally got the selection, the formation and the tactics right. After that he's relying on a bit of luck and individuals taking their chances.

It's easy to say "we could had had one less in midfield" on the basis that we were dominant in the middle, but perhaps our dominance was because we had the numbers there. Change that and the balance of the side - which looked excellent on the whole tonight - could be disastrously disrupted. Equally it could have allowed the opposition to dictate the game more than they were able to. It's far too simplistic to say we'd have won the game if we'd have played another striker; we were awful against Portugal with Vardy, Kane and Rooney on the pitch because the balance was all wrong.

I also didn't see many "passengers" in the team!

Watched it back and I think it was a case of one too many :)

I'm still pretty damning of it: 6/10 pushing 7/10. We had some real standout performers: Walker, Dier to name two but it was still depressing. And whilst Rooney had a good game I think he ought to have been encouraged further forward at least  

Managerial wise it was out of the SOD handbook I'll stand by - we flattered to deceive. Too much non-penetrative possession. 

I also stand by Roy got more wrong than he got right on the night. At the same time I acknowledge I'm also very much against the squad he picked and that perhaps subconsciously I'm not giving him enough credit in order to justify my own grievances. 

I do still believe we overpacked midfield, showed too much respect to a depleted Russia and that we'd have been comfortable with two forwards on. Russia did not have enough in the middle and forward areas to justify what I still see as idle players - idle because so much wasn't needed and I think another forward would have occupied Russia more than it would have depleted us defensively; not anyone being stand-out poor. Rooney for me is the case in point: we could have afforded him further forward as Dier was so comfortable (again not suggesting Rooney was poor, rather Roy under-utilised him)  

Nonetheless I'll admit more often than not we'd have won that game on similar performance levels  

To my mind Roy simply has to play Vardy against Wales because defensively they looks there for the taking v pace and pressure. I also think Townsend would have enjoyed that game....

43 minutes ago, 29AR said:

To my mind Roy simply has to play Vardy against Wales because defensively they looks there for the taking v pace and pressure.

I agree, but didn't Wales have a surprisingly good defensive record in qualifying? I don't really understand how, 'cos on paper their defense isn't great (Bale's an attacking player after-all!)

2 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I agree, but didn't Wales have a surprisingly good defensive record in qualifying? I don't really understand how, 'cos on paper their defense isn't great (Bale's an attacking player after-all!)

I'm certain you're right; I think they were built upon 1-0's. However what stood out for me yesterday was how 'good' Ashley Williams was at getting them in a mess. He looked to be really struggling to hold the line and played Slovakia onside on a few occasions; occasions Vardy, maybe even Sterling would have grasped. 

To be fair to Williams it could have been as a result of Danny Ward in goal and him 'shepherding' but I'm not sure. If I was Swansea's manager watching that would have encouraged me to replace him. I think he needs our game and the next, alongside Hennessey to judge... But he really did single himself out as a weak link on that 90. 

7 hours ago, 22A said:

One good thing I suppose. If England had won two or three nil, everyone would be saying "We'll walk this and win the cup easy".

Then there'd be a public outcry when they don't win it.

The other good thing is that we didn't get a second , because we all know that 2-0 is a dangerous score!

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Watched it back and I think it was a case of one too many :)

I'm still pretty damning of it: 6/10 pushing 7/10. We had some real standout performers: Walker, Dier to name two but it was still depressing. And whilst Rooney had a good game I think he ought to have been encouraged further forward at least  

Managerial wise it was out of the SOD handbook I'll stand by - we flattered to deceive. Too much non-penetrative possession. 

I also stand by Roy got more wrong than he got right on the night. At the same time I acknowledge I'm also very much against the squad he picked and that perhaps subconsciously I'm not giving him enough credit in order to justify my own grievances. 

I do still believe we overpacked midfield, showed too much respect to a depleted Russia and that we'd have been comfortable with two forwards on. Russia did not have enough in the middle and forward areas to justify what I still see as idle players - idle because so much wasn't needed and I think another forward would have occupied Russia more than it would have depleted us defensively; not anyone being stand-out poor. Rooney for me is the case in point: we could have afforded him further forward as Dier was so comfortable (again not suggesting Rooney was poor, rather Roy under-utilised him)  

Nonetheless I'll admit more often than not we'd have won that game on similar performance levels  

To my mind Roy simply has to play Vardy against Wales because defensively they looks there for the taking v pace and pressure. I also think Townsend would have enjoyed that game....

Still think it's a harsh assessment but I respect your view!

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

And that's fine if you believe so.

At the time you wrote that, the only top side to have played were France.

Today we've seen Croatia and Germany now. 2 very good sides who attack with precision and actually look a threat going forward. Both things we lacked yesterday.

15 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Really? It happens nearly every tournement, usually the types that only show interest in football every two years.

I don't really count the opinions of such people. True football supporters would never assume anything when it comes to England - we've all been burnt too many times!

6 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The difference is mate the best teams find a way to win and manage games better like France did, like Germany will etc, etc, it's all very good looking pretty, England seem to struggle to find the right balance either too negative or to naive.

That I agree with to be fair, I just think we played really well and did enough to win the game (obviously not but you should know what I mean)

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

For most of my life the media have been saying we will win it this time

What media are you talking about? Who is saying it? I don't see any BBC pundits saying it. I don't see any ITV pundits saying it. I follow respected journalists on twitter like Henry Winter and Paul Hayward - they're not saying it. So who is? Got any links?

The last tournament I recall where we genuinely talked up as contenders was probably 2006. Since then I have seen moderated expectations based on our limited squad.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What media are you talking about? Who is saying it? I don't see any BBC pundits saying it. I don't see any ITV pundits saying it. I follow respected journalists on twitter like Henry Winter and Paul Hayward - they're not saying it. So who is? Got any links?

The last tournament I recall where we genuinely talked up as contenders was probably 2006. Since then I have seen moderated expectations based on our limited squad.

The papers, not saying that's the case this time as i don't get any of the papers, but almost every other tournament has been like it.

Archived