IGNORED

Tommy Wright named in bribe scandal

BRISTOL86

6 minutes ago, INCRED said:

So Barnsley have suspended their assistant manager pending an investigation. LJ worked with him at Barnsley and wanted him to join him here at City so hope LJ isn't implicated or involved in anything dodgy when with the Tykes!

To be honest if LJ was on the take at barnsley, Wright would have jumped at the chance of joining us. What with Lansdown splashing the cash. 

12 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Well this was all set up by the telegraph this summer, I can't imagine it's that common 

The Telegraph received the information about the dodgy dealings 10 months ago, they have been working on it all for 10 months, the 'stings' have been more recent. 

Was LJ Barnsley's manager 10 months ago ?

I honestly won't be surprised if they are all at it.

A river of dirty money flowing in and out of football.

Hope I'm wrong, but if thousands are being offered around tax free, in little paper bags then it won't surprise me.

Can't imagine an assistant manager at a league one club earns a huge amount of money, and if someone offs you a few grand of non-traceable money then of course the temptation will be there.

Not saying it's right by the way, just that it really doesn't surprise me. 4 games away from the sack and someone offers you money you are pretty sure you'll need? We'd all be tempted.

Mawson we were linked with but Hourihane was merely mentioned by a few posters on here as a suggestion / hope that we may sign him, there was never any club link to him & my understanding is that Hourihane doesn't like / get on with LJ so any chance of us signing was pretty non existent. Not sure if it's in anyway related & there is no mention of Hourihane (or Mawson) actually being involved but I found it strange that in the YouTube video of Barnsley's Q & A session with Cryne, Heckingbottom & their COO that it was already mentioned that Hourihane wasn't interested in signing a new contract & that was in the summer after winning promotion & the JPT & with a season to run on his contract, seems a very early decision to make & to inform the club of those intentions as well.

9 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Does everyone think that this is how a lot of transfer dealings happen with wads of cash in brown envelopes?

tip of the iceberg perhaps...

It was high in the 80s. George Graham was found guilty  (if memory serves).

Alan Sugar (when Spurs were trying to sign Teddy Sheringham) said in his biography that 'Clough wanted a bung'.

• Admin

So TW was widely expected to join us at the end of the season, the Telegraph's fraudsters paid him £5k to convince his club to sign certain players and get certain players signed up to their "agency", TW then rejects us claiming it was his love for the people at Barnsley that made him want to stay  

Close. Shave. 

With the ridiculous amounts of money circulating in the game you'd have to be very optimistic to believe it is anything but absolutely rotten to its core.

There are no doubt bungs, favours and dodgy deals being done at every turn. I'd be far more surprised if there is a single league club that is totally clean of any of these activities.

6 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Is there any surprise that Cellino is caught up in this affair too?

Frankly, no.

But then the real scandal with Cellino is how he somehow managed to become an owner of a football league club at all, consisting his history.

Makes you wonder how he managed to get through that process; would suggest it might not be all squeaky clean either.

8 hours ago, pride of the west said:

To be honest if LJ was on the take at barnsley, Wright would have jumped at the chance of joining us. What with Lansdown splashing the cash. 

That's a very good point. I think with Johnson he has been pretty switched on with his financial affairs outside of football. Not sure he would put all that at risk for a few quid.

Managers we've had in the past, would be more concerned about

7 hours ago, Ian M said:

So TW was widely expected to join us at the end of the season, the Telegraph's fraudsters paid him £5k to convince his club to sign certain players and get certain players signed up to their "agency", TW then rejects us claiming it was his love for the people at Barnsley that made him want to stay  

Close. Shave. 

did he reject us? or did we get a whif of what he was up too?, that would make more sense as it goes along with ashton and Lansdown's tag line of finding people thats right and a good fit for the club,

I don't think they want to get caught out with agents again after the fine we got for Showman's agent

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It was high in the 80s. George Graham was found guilty  (if memory serves).

Alan Sugar (when Spurs were trying to sign Teddy Sheringham) said in his biography that 'Clough wanted a bung'.

Sugar was on the One Show last night and when asked about the Allardyce affair pretty much said "they're all at it but no one cares" just because everyone is only interested in results. Decent guest as it goes. 

I doubt we were ever interested in him, the key part of the article for me is where TW says "I am fed up with driving 600 miles to find bargains" he would have still been doing that here. I think people just assumed that LJ would be going back for him to have "his own man", but he seems to work equally well with JP so no need to change it.

Wright seems to be a ducking diving sort of 'Northern' geezer. Polar opposite to Johnson/Ashton, which may make him a good fit (in our management team).

I can still see him coming here, albeit in a lessor role whilst the dust settles (i.e. Scout initially). Although he's unlikely to be put in charge of transfer negotiations.

26 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Wright seems to be a ducking diving sort of 'Northern' geezer. Polar opposite to Johnson/Ashton, which may make him a good fit (in our management team).

I can still see him coming here, albeit in a lessor role whilst the dust settles (i.e. Scout initially). Although he's unlikely to be put in charge of transfer negotiations.

You mean after his spell inside on bribery and corruption charges? 

Archived