IGNORED

Tommy Wright named in bribe scandal

BRISTOL86

14 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Does that mean he is now available as assistant manager?:facepalm:

I assume the FA will eventually get their act together and start banning these POS. I think a significant minority of deals must be bent. Maybe this explains how we ended up with Nicky Hunt?

7 hours ago, Chivs said:

Mark Ashton seems to be very skilled at getting top class players to sign for us.

#JustSaying

It did make me wonder, all the talk of how we used to be so amateurish in our dealings until now we've got people in place who know how football works, how things get done. Well is this the type of thing that's meant by that?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but, as has been said, it seems highly likely this is just the tip of the iceberg

1 hour ago, bcfctim said:

It did make me wonder, all the talk of how we used to be so amateurish in our dealings until now we've got people in place who know how football works, how things get done. Well is this the type of thing that's meant by that?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but, as has been said, it seems highly likely this is just the tip of the iceberg

A former long-term chief executive was certainly not straight as an arrow.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Imagine the meltdown if LJ hadn`t done today`s press conference.

I imagine SL was on the phone to Lee the moment this news broke and has been reassured that he`s not involved in any way - which FWIW is what I think too.

It would be interesting to hear from our Barnsley chums to get their take on the situation

Really? I would like to think that SL would feel he knows LJ's character well enough to not even have to ask.

49 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Really? I would like to think that SL would feel he knows LJ's character well enough to not even have to ask.

I`m sure you`re right. I bet they have discussed it though and I`ll be very surprised if Mr Wright ends up anywhere near BS3 (assuming he has broken the rules of course).

You do wonder where this is all going to end though.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It would be interesting to hear from our Barnsley chums to get their take on the situation

I can't speak for every Barnsley fan, but personally, I am thoroughly disheartened about the shocking state of football in general with the stupid amounts of money involved and the corruption that I would imagine to be endemic throughout the game, and I am sickened that it has come to our door, and that someone we all respected for doing a seemingly good job alongside Hecky could dump on us to the extent that seemingly has, or was willing to do.  If you look at the Barnsley board, you will find pretty much the same view prevails.

I am angry that after such a promising start to the season he has put my club in the news for the wrong reasons, although it has to be said that all the coverage makes clear that the owner and manager are not involved in anyway, and indeed, Cryne went as far as to point out in the meeting that Wright arranged that what they were proposing was illegal.  We are also now at risk of this interfering with the playing side until things settle down.  I wish him nothing but misfortune and hope he never works in football again. 

I have to say that I am happy with the swift way the club have dealt with it, and think that, apart from the club not wanting to drag it out and cause a feeling of uncertainty and a loss of focus, the fact that he was booted straight out of the door and had his arse kicked all the way down Grove Street shows to me that the evidence was conclusive and he had no defence.  I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting with Patrick Cryne this morning - I bet it was a bit one sided fiesty!!

It is proper depressing that in the same week that this has come out, showing how we are all being taken for fools, we are being asked to cough £37 this weekend to go to Leeds.  The cycle of money grabbing will never end.  And no, I am not going - it bugs me to death that I am missing such a close derby when we are doing so well, but enough is enough - you have to draw the line somewhere and my line goes nowhere near £37 for a second tier game of football.  Both our games at Wembley last season were cheaper than that. 

By the way, good start you guys are having - I am keeping an eye out.  Good luck for season :)

26 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I can't speak for every Barnsley fan, but personally, I am thoroughly disheartened about the shocking state of football in general with the stupid amounts of money involved and the corruption that I would imagine to be endemic throughout the game, and I am sickened that it has come to our door, and that someone we all respected for doing a seemingly good job alongside Hecky could dump on us to the extent that seemingly has, or was willing to do.  If you look at the Barnsley board, you will find pretty much the same view prevails.

I am angry that after such a promising start to the season he has put my club in the news for the wrong reasons, although it has to be said that all the coverage makes clear that the owner and manager are not involved in anyway, and indeed, Cryne went as far as to point out in the meeting that Wright arranged that what they were proposing was illegal.  We are also now at risk of this interfering with the playing side until things settle down.  I wish him nothing but misfortune and hope he never works in football again. 

I have to say that I am happy with the swift way the club have dealt with it, and think that, apart from the club not wanting to drag it out and cause a feeling of uncertainty and a loss of focus, the fact that he was booted straight out of the door and had his arse kicked all the way down Grove Street shows to me that the evidence was conclusive and he had no defence.  I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting with Patrick Cryne this morning - I bet it was a bit one sided fiesty!!

It is proper depressing that in the same week that this has come out, showing how we are all being taken for fools, we are being asked to cough £37 this weekend to go to Leeds.  The cycle of money grabbing will never end.  And no, I am not going - it bugs me to death that I am missing such a close derby when we are doing so well, but enough is enough - you have to draw the line somewhere and my line goes nowhere near £37 for a second tier game of football.  Both our games at Wembley last season were cheaper than that. 

By the way, good start you guys are having - I am keeping an eye out.  Good luck for season :)

Can't bring myself to 'like' your post as it is depressing. Good luck for the team you support though.

23 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I`m glad you`re angry mate, I`d like to think we would be as livid as you lot clearly are. It must really put a dampener on your superb start to the season and that`s not fair. On the plus side though, it does sound like he was acting totally independently of the club and there is no suggestion that Barnsley FC are involved in any way other than that he was an employee. Your chairman`s reaction tells you that in no uncertain terms.

I`m sure you`ll overcome it and hope you do. I take your point re. Leeds as well, from what I saw on Tuesday they aren`t all that and how they can justify those prices is beyond me. If you get at that nutjob CB Janssen (?) they should be down to ten before you know it.

Good luck on Saturday and for the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m glad you`re angry mate, I`d like to think we would be as livid as you lot clearly are. It must really put a dampener on your superb start to the season and that`s not fair. On the plus side though, it does sound like he was acting totally independently of the club and there is no suggestion that Barnsley FC are involved in any way other than that he was an employee. Your chairman`s reaction tells you that in no uncertain terms.

I`m sure you`ll overcome it and hope you do. I take your point re. Leeds as well, from what I saw on Tuesday they aren`t all that and how they can justify those prices is beyond me. If you get at that nutjob CB Janssen (?) they should be down to ten before you know it.

Good luck on Saturday and for the rest of the season.

Cheers mate.  I have to say that our owner impresses me more with each situation that arises.  He hasn't put a foot wrong in the last year or two.  Its great to know that we are in good hands.  He must have felt like he been totally betrayed by Wright. If I am angry, then I can't imagine how he feels about it.  I am just glad he's gone, his position was untenable. Complete turd.  Good riddance.

As for Leeds, I know for a fact that their prices are going to cost them money this weekend because there are loads of folk not going if the BBS is any reliable gauge - which it seems to be because we have only sold around 1800, which is well down on what would be expected for a Yorkshire derby in the first year back up at this level, especially when we are so positive at the moment about the team and results.  If it had been in the sensible range, I am sure we would have taken 3500.  Last time I was at school 3500 x £25 is a lot more than 1800 x £37.  There was talk in a casual sense on our board of a boycott but nothing formal was attempted and it was all a bit too late really. I would have been happy to see our turnout virtually non existent.

I won't be going to Sheffield Wednesday either, they are talking £40 for that one I believe.  Utterly scandalous.  Something has to be done.

PS. we are on the bloody 10 o'clock news now - grrrr.

1 hour ago, redsfan said:

If Wright were an ordinary chap, straight out of t'pit, then I'd have every sympathy with him - trying to earn an extra crust for his family.

Fact is, like Fat Sam, he was a very well remunerated individual, partaking a role that most of us can only dream of (in terms of recompense and job satisfaction). So, at end of t'day, he's just another greedy b__stard, who deserves to rot in hell (unless, of course, he comes down here and helps us to them prem).

Funny old business, football.

44 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

If Wright were an ordinary chap, straight out of t'pit, then I'd have every sympathy with him - trying to earn an extra crust for his family.

Fact is, like Fat Sam, he was a very well remunerated individual, partaking a role that most of us can only dream of (in terms of recompense and job satisfaction). So, at end of t'day, he's just another greedy b__stard, who deserves to rot in hell (unless, of course, he comes down here and helps us to them prem).

Funny old business, football.

No way would SL let him through the door…

11 hours ago, redsfan said:

Earlier in the week I listened to Durham on Talksport discussing the Allardyce affair and how the amounts of money, and greed, had affected the game.

A Burnley fan phoned in to say that while he and many of his friends were delighted when they were promoted to the prem, as it had long been their goal as with many clubs, it was almost deflating when they were in the prem. This as mainly because the game changed , and mainly because of the money. 

WE came within 90 minutes of premier league football, but I think that in the intervening years I sense that many City fans would almost prefer us to remain a championship club, because they realise that so much will change fundamentally because of the money that will then become available and affect the whole nature of the club.

I think Durham said that money at the top of the game is destroying to soul of football as we know it, and I think he's probably correct.

For what it's worth, I think the first thing the governing bodies need to do is to look at role of agents as I feel that they have to great an influence on the way money transactions take place. I listened to a Gary Lineker interview on the bbc website. Lineker asks how it can be right that an agent can act for both a club and a player in a transfer, and I agree. He also says that an agent should be paid by his client - the player. Clubs should not have any need to use an agent in a transfer as they should have adequately qualified and adept professionals employed who are capable of handling negotiations. In an instant this would take away the potential conflict of interest of acting for both sides.

Lineker also says that there should be some sort of central clearing house to handle transfer moneys so that a transfer transaction is completely transparent and everyone can see where the money has come from and where it goes.

The problem is whether the people at the top of the game have the will to take these issues on. Also will the premier league agree to changes to the situation that in many ways suits them nicely?

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Earlier in the week I listened to Durham on Talksport discussing the Allardyce affair and how the amounts of money, and greed, had affected the game.

A Burnley fan phoned in to say that while he and many of his friends were delighted when they were promoted to the prem, as it had long been their goal as with many clubs, it was almost deflating when they were in the prem. This as mainly because the game changed , and mainly because of the money. 

WE came within 90 minutes of premier league football, but I think that in the intervening years I sense that many City fans would almost prefer us to remain a championship club, because they realise that so much will change fundamentally because of the money that will then become available and affect the whole nature of the club.

I think Durham said that money at the top of the game is destroying to soul of football as we know it, and I think he's probably correct.

For what it's worth, I think the first thing the governing bodies need to do is to look at role of agents as I feel that they have to great an influence on the way money transactions take place. I listened to a Gary Lineker interview on the bbc website. Lineker asks how it can be right that an agent can act for both a club and a player in a transfer, and I agree. He also says that an agent should be paid by his client - the player. Clubs should not have any need to use an agent in a transfer as they should have adequately qualified and adept professionals employed who are capable of handling negotiations. In an instant this would take away the potential conflict of interest of acting for both sides.

Lineker also says that there should be some sort of central clearing house to handle transfer moneys so that a transfer transaction is completely transparent and everyone can see where the money has come from and where it goes.

The problem is whether the people at the top of the game have the will to take these issues on. Also will the premier league agree to changes to the situation that in many ways suits them nicely?

I couldn't agree more with what you've put there.  As a Barnsley fan, I've often wondered about getting back to the Premier League and whether it would actually be something I would enjoy.  I can't see it happening any time soon to be honest, but I am also not sure if it is something I would want - obviously you want the team to be as good as they can be and you have to dream, otherwise what's the point, and the promotion would certainly be an enjoyable season.  But the time spent in the PL would be soul destroying - I have come to hate everything it stands for.  We only spent 1 year there, nearly 20 years now, and it almost destroyed us.  I would dread it in many ways.

All I want as a supporter is to have a few beers and watch my team on a Saturday, and for it to remain accessible to me to do so.  The league we are in only matters in so much as the quality of the football improves and there are more big ticket matches.  Before we were relegated we spend 8 seasons moping around he bottom reaches of the championship and the fun sapped away.  The relegation to L1 almost came as a relief and seemed inevitable.  Whether we will cut it this time around is something we will have to wait and see on, but it can't be denied that last season was one of the most enjoyable in recent memory, even though it was L1.  You can keep the PL and its obscene focus on money - I am happy as we are.

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Totally agree with your points. My Saints supporting friend has said the same, regarding reaching the prem…however, I'd love to at least give it a try and see where it takes us! After all, it is a competitive league, take the competition aspect away and what are you left with? 

I'm sick of arrogant business people tinkering around with rules to suit their own aspirations of power and greed…they make me sick. Leave my/our football alone!:badmood::bruce_h4h:

Archived