IGNORED

Tommy Wright named in bribe scandal

BRISTOL86

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think there in lies an interesting point. 

Are these people breaking the law, or are they breaking FA rules?

As someone who every year has to complete a due diligence form online regarding the declaration of payments, gifts and rewards I would say he would be of interested to the SFO. 

Five grand though. Hardly seems worth the risk.

I didn't agree with those who said of Allardyce that a man paid £3m a year shouldn't be tempted by an extra £400k. £400k is a decent amount of money whoever you are. £5k is not. I don't know how much the assistant manager of Barnsley gets paid, but £5k isn't going to make a huge difference to anyone but the poorest person, whereas getting caught almost certainly has.

2 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I didn't agree with those who said of Allardyce that a man paid £3m a year shouldn't be tempted by an extra £400k. £400k is a decent amount of money whoever you are. £5k is not. I don't know how much the assistant manager of Barnsley gets paid, but £5k isn't going to make a huge difference to anyone but the poorest person, whereas getting caught almost certainly has.

Well it was £5k down and another 5k if they got into owning the players and the promise of more to be made down the line depending on transfer fees. It also raises the questions whether this was a one off deal.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Well it was £5k down and another 5k if they got into owning the players and the promise of more to be made down the line depending on transfer fees. It also raises the questions whether this was a one off deal.

Fair point. I suppose it could have led to more easy money. I'd still want a lot, lot more than that though.

6 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Fair point. I suppose it could have led to more easy money. I'd still want a lot, lot more than that though.

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

isn't that how those sort of deals are done though? Start off low, then ask for more, later on…?

I thought he was going to get a % of the players so to speak which is why he was convincing them to go elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I doubt we were ever interested in him, the key part of the article for me is where TW says "I am fed up with driving 600 miles to find bargains" he would have still been doing that here. I think people just assumed that LJ would be going back for him to have "his own man", but he seems to work equally well with JP so no need to change it.

But by all accounts the club want two assistant managers, someone to work alongside JP & take a bit of pressure off LJ & JP during training etc. LJ clearly knows TW & I would guess trusts him having worked with him at Barnsley & Oldham.

As mentioned by someone else, if someone offers someone a large amount of money to earn alongside their wages & in theory could help them get better players into their club, I would suggest that a large percentage of people would be tempted.

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But by all accounts the club want two assistant managers, someone to work alongside JP & take a bit of pressure off LJ & JP during training etc. LJ clearly knows TW & I would guess trusts him having worked with him at Barnsley & Oldham.

As mentioned by someone else, if someone offers someone a large amount of money to earn alongside their wages & in theory could help them get better players into their club, I would suggest that a large percentage of people would be tempted.

I guess so however, I would like to think that TW would have been put off by there being little or no chance of bringing deals like this to our table.....

29 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

He was offering advice to circumnavigate the rules of his employers, a little bit like selling state secrets.

His snivelling retort of "entrapment has won", well yes it has because of your greed FFS.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it doesn't look good for the FA, after the way they went after blatter you would think they had their own house in order,

Its about time our governing body was brought to heel and the prem league/football league bodys merged

The rest of the footballing world will be laughing at British football now.

As it will deflect away from 'business' going on abroad.

Everyone will carry on in there own sweet way, whilst British football will be trying to clean up it's act, whilst in truth it's shooting itself in the foot.

Everyone would love British football to be clean...and in theory it would be great.

However...it's like taking part in the Tour de France without taking performance enhancing drugs. You'll do your best, and feel good about yourself knowing you've done the right thing...but sure as damn it, you ain't gonna win anything. The cheats will win and always have the upper hand.

Not condoning cheating...but if the rest of the world is doing it to make the signings happen,  how are British teams going to compete?

Can you see the dilemma? Not until all football is cleaned up will you have a level playing field. However 'Culture' in certain foreign countries is all about 'cheating' and getting an advantage. So you'll never compete on a level....catch 22.

35 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

He said he'd try to convince Mawson to leave so he would get a slice of cash himself! No thankyou, I'd kick him out the training ground myself.

1 minute ago, Griffin said:

Assistants go against their managers/board (on the sly) to make themselves money?

Imo, based on 'stories' I've heard, what you are seeing in the likes of the Telegraph, is a reflection of what is happening in football across the board, and has been for a very long time.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Imo...there would be a lot of empty training grounds if you were in charge ;-)

Well if that's what it takes Spud maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. A clean slate, removal of the old guard who have worked out how to circumvent the rules and a new set of rules for all round. Not only fresh modern coaching ideas, but no corrupt culture to "fit in with". 

Clubs want to talk about being proper businesses, let them work within the rules and guidelines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181762/bribery-act-2010-guidance.pdf

5 minutes ago, Griffin said:

He said he'd try to convince Mawson to leave so he would get a slice of cash himself! No thankyou, I'd kick him out the training ground myself.

I agree but I guess it's a case of taking with the right hand, in regards of making money from what is already at your club & managing to sign a better quality of player (than what you are left with) through their "contacts" & giving with left hand as you'd lose your more valuable players currently at the club. 

All a case of swings & roundabouts with regards to the club but you'd be gaining financially on a personal note.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Well if that's what it takes Spud maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. A clean slate, removal of the old guard who have worked out how to circumvent the rules and a new set of rules for all round. Not only fresh modern coaching ideas, but no corrupt culture to "fit in with". 

Clubs want to talk about being proper businesses, let them work within the rules and guidelines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181762/bribery-act-2010-guidance.pdf

Not being funny fella...but putting a guidline up by the Government is hardly convincing...'say as I do, not as I act.' See my other post about how many countries operate.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not being funny fella...but putting a guidline up by the Government is hardly convincing...'say as I do, not as I act.' See my other post about how many countries operate.

My point is that businesses in this country in all walks of life are supposed to show how they comply with these rules, and if they are audited and can't prove it they are fined. There have been instances of the government fining some of their own departments as well. That doesn't mean they did something corrupt, just that they can't prove they didn't. 

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Everyone will carry on in there own sweet way, whilst British football will be trying to clean up it's act, whilst in truth it's shooting itself in the foot.

Everyone would love British football to be clean...and in theory it would be great.

However...it's like taking part in the Tour de France without taking performance enhancing drugs. You'll do your best, and feel good about yourself knowing you've done the right thing...but sure as damn it, you ain't gonna win anything. The cheats will win and always have the upper hand.

Not condoning cheating...but if the rest of the world is doing it to make the signings happen,  how are British teams going to compete?

Can you see the dilemma? Not until all football is cleaned up will you have a level playing field. However 'Culture' in certain foreign countries is all about 'cheating' and getting an advantage. So you'll never compete on a level....catch 22.

Yes. It is sickening. Maybe that is what LJ & MA are referring to, about the complicated business of signing players…not just the countless agents, but the legal implications of getting caught up in something unsavoury, and having to compete against those who are willing to cheat. 

39 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes. It is sickening. Maybe that is what LJ & MA are referring to, about the complicated business of signing players…not just the countless agents, but the legal implications of getting caught up in something unsavoury, and having to compete against those who are willing to cheat. 

Bang on EAM...and it's no wonder people in the game do, otherwise you can't compete, then you lose your job. It's a vicious circle.

Unfortunately, the public in this country are quick to jump on people with such a holier than thou view, yet very few it seems think through the process of why such things happen. It's not all down to greed...it's how negotiations work in some cultures. As much as we dislike it...it is what it is. It happens in all walks of life...it's like the Syrian refugee that just got had up in Oz for buggering a 10 yo. He couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...his words in defence were along the lines of 'It happened to me when I was 10, it's what we do, it's our culture' . He just couldn't understand why he was being arrested. And it's that principle that we are up against in all walks of life, not just in football and business...but everything. Other nations cultures are totally different to ours. And what we deem wrong is often seen as the norm in their countries.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bang on EAM...and it's no wonder people in the game do, otherwise you can't compete, then you lose your job. It's a vicious circle.

Unfortunately, the public in this country are quick to jump on people with such a holier than thou view, yet very few it seems think through the process of why such things happen. It's not all down to greed...it's how negotiations work in some cultures. As much as we dislike it...it is what it is. It happens in all walks of life...it's like the Syrian refugee that just got had up in Oz for buggering a 10 yo. He couldn't understand what all the fuss was about...his words in defence were along the lines of 'It happened to me when I was 10, it's what we do, it's our culture' . He just couldn't understand why he was being arrested. And it's that principle that we are up against in all walks of life, not just in football and business...but everything. Other nations cultures are totally different to ours. And what we deem wrong is often seen as the norm in their countries.

I thank God that I was born in Bristol .  :shocking:

1 hour ago, spudski said:

This is a good point.

Football dealings are ever increasingly international - look at City who've bought from France, Italy, Germany and Sweden this year. The FA cannot regulate what goes on in other countries, and clearly in order to compete in these markets, British clubs may find themselves having to take those "TUEs" (to use your Tour de France analogy!).

Not condoning, but maybe we need clearer governance from the main international body. If FIFA regulate and are squeaky clean, then we have a chance.....oh wait....FIFA.....

.3461131-dollar-emoticon.jpg

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

What's your price Dan ? 

Given the level of influence I have over professional football clubs I'd say around £3.50 and a bag of Monster Munch.

If it was something that could cost me my job and my reputation (such as it is) then I'd want an amount of money that would mean I needn't work again because that's the risk I'd be running.

Archived